Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crippling Radio charges for the RNLI

Default Crippling Radio charges for the RNLI

The Costs of running radios for the RNLI is going to increase by horrendous amounts, please sign this petition

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...-to-close.html

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/RNLI-RF-licences/
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Default signed

for both oh and myself!! we are volunteers in RNLI shop here and are shocked this is even being thought about.
    No public funding goes to the upkeep of the RNLI - it is purely what folk put in the buckets, fund raise, leave in wills etc - for the government to step in to try to take a huge slice of donations to pay for what this government should be paying the entire bill for is criminal.

I was shocked to read this the other day in the paper and was waiting to next meeting to find out what was being done but will happily sign a petition to highlight this silly situation.

Thanks for highlighting this Golach. I think it's disgusting that any charity that saves lives should have to pay for a licence. What incensed me even more is the RNLI pays £3 million per year in VAT!

The day will come when they will tax the air we breathe.

"Ofcom has set out plans to bring "market forces" into maritime and civil aviation communications, in a policy it calls Administered Incentive Pricing or AIP"

I'd like to administer some Administered Repetetive Hard Punches To The Head.

Only some office-bound gutless toady could come out with such arrogant tosh.
    AIP my arse, it's just another revenue stream for the Government.

I'd like to see what they'd say if all the volountary rescue services such as the RNLI amd Mountain Rescue groups all jacked it in tomorrow. They (the Government) would have to spend a damn sight more than the revenue they already make off these groups.

As a life long supporter of The RNLI I too am totally disgusted by this and just hope that their charitable status will be taken into consideration before these swinging reforms are introduced.
    Whilst appreciating that there needs to be regulation and licencing of the communications such organisations use, putting a price on essential equipment is tantamount to taxing safety.
    I just hope that who ever thought this idea up never needs the volunteer emergency services.

I find it absurd that they have to pay anything for the use of the radios at all. i have supported RNLI in the past and will continue to do so but I think they shoud be excempt from this silly charge. If not then the insurance companies that the should pay after all without the RNLI they would no doubt have to pay out far more in insurance claims.
    Live and let live
    Life is too short

This is beyond absurd. I hope this does not go through.
    There are two rules for success:
    1. Never tell people everything you know

Done and dusted Golach.
    "Step sideways, pause and study those around you. You will learn a great deal."

Bump..............

Signed it G. Automask prevents me from expressing my true thoughts on this matter. What will the Government think up next?
    Don`t bother "repping" me it`s turned off.

I've signed it, but not sure if it will do any good. The website says that the petition closed Oct 8th, so I'm a week late. There were only 457 signatures up to that date - which is shocking.

Update: double-checked the date, and the petition is good until Oct. 8, 2009, so everyone still has time to get their name on there!
    Rockchick

Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so (Douglas Adams)

Have signed it golach. Its a disgrace they want to do this. Just hope everyone on the org signs it.

Aye c'mon Orgers! Get signing!

I've Signed!

Thanks to you all, I see the petition count has risen by approx 200 signatures in 24 hours

Default pass to friends too

Have sent email to all my friends about this - hopefully they will get a large enough response they may take some notice - come on and sign up please.

Signed my name there also.

Thumbs down

see this as totally ridiculous and a public disgrace have gone thru the process of signing it but my name never came up
    is that still ok tony

i've signed, whoever sits in the small office and thinks these ridiculous ideas up should be locked in the office and not let out, until they come to their senses or become a nice skeleton

Default Crippling radio charges for the RNLI

I've signed.
    Suggest we put the jobsworths who thought up this crap on the Pentland Skerries in a Force 10 gale and forget to call out the lifeboat!!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast