Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stack at the harbour

Default stack at the harbour

anyone know what they are doing to it? fiing it or taking it down? im hoping for taking it down myself *G* but would like to know one way or the other. keep looking at them on top of it everytime i leave the house *G*
    http://itqueries.com/

Word on here last week was its coming down

Default Its coming down

A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

Ah, now I see why it is going to take so long! One mannie and a mallet - they should have closed the road for a month! Good clip Kevin.

am kwite sad that its cumin doon

i ken, i ken, health an' safety an all 'at crap....but i feel that its a part o' wur history, its been ayre a long time an no doin any herm, weel, apart fie crumblin....

i mind when i wis a little lascie i wis oot a walk wi ma faither an he telt me til stand up against'ed wi ma airms wrapped roond'ed.

when i looked up it wis lek it wis fallen doon cos 'e clouds were movin fast....prity scary min

il never forget at.....

its also featured in alot o' ma dreams so for some funny reason i feel kwite attached til 'e auld chimney
    Merry Meet, Merry Part and Merry Meet Again
    Blessed Be...

what is the history behind it?

Talking

Its was the chimney for the old power station.

It is actually a transponder for contacting aliens, but seeing as they are already here there is no longer a need for it!!

I was looking at the stack on Tuesday from the Pilot House.
    You could see daylight through the top part of the stack.
    A good strong blow would probably brought part of the top down.
    I suspect they are just making it safe.
    How far down they are going to do that, is anyones guess.

Colin

thats going to be a soul destroying job, would have thought that in this day and age they would be able to find a quicker way to complete the job

At least they're using a sledge hammer on it.

Obviously the cheaper version of demolition.
    They should have tied a huge chain around it and used Simpson's giant crane to pull the chain. They could go up the hill because it is closed anyway.
    A 1991 Gallup survey indicated that 49 percent of Americans didn't know that white bread is made from wheat.

im guessing they didnt blow it because of all the saftey issues. and where the rubble may fall... but that is only a guess.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by trix View Post
    am kwite sad that its cumin doon

i ken, i ken, health an' safety an all 'at crap....but i feel that its a part o' wur history, its been ayre a long time an no doin any herm, weel, apart fie crumblin....

i mind when i wis a little lascie i wis oot a walk wi ma faither an he telt me til stand up against'ed wi ma airms wrapped roond'ed.

when i looked up it wis lek it wis fallen doon cos 'e clouds were movin fast....prity scary min

il never forget at.....

its also featured in alot o' ma dreams so for some funny reason i feel kwite attached til 'e auld chimney
    e sure must have long arms lol tony

It was in the paper that it is being knocked down brick by brick and will take some months (more like years). It states it is too dangerous to blow up. I was noticing on Kevins film that there is also a man up a ladder round the side, a bit dangerous with bricks falling down.
    Live for today as tomorrow may never come

Default Ladder

Quote Originally Posted by Fran View Post
    It was in the paper that it is being knocked down brick by brick and will take some months (more like years). It states it is too dangerous to blow up. I was noticing on Kevins film that there is also a man up a ladder round the side, a bit dangerous with bricks falling down.
    Its not a ladder Fran, its a telescopic loader and the bit that looks like a man is the final extention.... Does anyone remember when it was in use last and what did it generate power for?
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

Thanks for the video clip kevin.
    It was weird to hear your welsh accent giving a comment, normally when I have seen a "week" video theres always a mannie with a broad week accent!!!! Keep up the good work.

Its a pity I dont know anything about the stack but I am sure "our local mannie" Ian Sutherland would be able to fill us all in on it.

Default Chimney

I've just found out that the chimney was built in the early 1930s. It was part of the new extension to increase the output of electricity to a large area of Wick .
    The original building was the lower section standing in the middle of the new buildings.

What a sight that must have been at the time. I grew up with it every day, and often played around there. I remember a huge hot boiler at the back where we used to cook our herring when we played at the Brae - I suppose that boiler was part of the Power Station ?

Cheerio Chimbley.
    Trinkie

That boiler could get really hot. Did you gut your herring with your fingers? We did!!

Quote Originally Posted by brandy View Post
    what is the history behind it?
    The power Station was built by Wick Town Council in 1928 to supply the town with the new fangled electricity, in the firstperiod to May 1929 revenue was £868 this increased rapidly and by 1932 it was £6249 and the Station was greatly enlarged. there were negotiations to supply power to Thurso, I don't know if this ever came to fruition.

Mosser

"It was in the paper that it is being knocked down brick by brick and will take some months (more like years). It states it is too dangerous to blow up. I was noticing on Kevins film that there is also a man up a ladder round the side, a bit dangerous with bricks falling down."

Surely they are dropping the bricks down the inside, rather than raining them down randomly?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast