Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

View Poll Results: Should switching off street lighting be considered for saving energy?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

31 43.06%
  • No

35 48.61%
  • Don't Care, Rheghead, stop this eco-rubbish, I'm bored of it now !!

6 8.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Switch Off the Lights!!

Default Switch Off the Lights!!

Obviously the carbon footprint of Highland Council is starting to bite deeper into their conciences or pockets.

What do you think, should street lighting be turned off to save energy where possible?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...ds/7271428.stm
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Next you''ll have us living in the cold and dark!!! It's safer to the towen leaving streetlights on, turning them off would be ridiculous!
    Smiling is infectious, You can catch it like the flu.
    Someone smiled at me today, And I started smiling too.

Read the link Rob16, it's lighting outwith the town/city they want to turn off.
    It's an accident of life to be born a gentleman
    It’s an achievement of life to die a gentleman.

I think we should get rid of at least half the lights in towns and cities too! They are far too brightly lit. Also it would be worth turning lights on at far lower light levels, and turning off again at lower levels than appears to be current practise.
    The box said, "Requires Windows XP or better"...

... so I installed Ubuntu!

And if you turn of the lights, you best be buying extra strengh locks.
    WoRdS ShOuLd Be SiMpLe An VoIcEs SoFt !!!

Quote Originally Posted by NickInTheNorth View Post
    I think we should get rid of at least half the lights in towns and cities too! They are far too brightly lit. Also it would be worth turning lights on at far lower light levels, and turning off again at lower levels than appears to be current practise.

If you turn off half the lights in my street NITN our street would be in darkness, as half the lights are usually out anyway.

It's a good idea but not from a safety point of view. Motorways and dual-carriageways do not need to be lit up like Blackpool illuminations on some stretches. Speaking of Blackpool I hope they use low energy bulbs!
    Why be a hard rock when you really are a gem!

They could start with turning of the lights that light up thurso bridge

Quote Originally Posted by danc1ngwitch View Post
    And if you turn of the lights, you best be buying extra strengh locks.
    It's a totally ridiculous Idea and the criminal element would have a field day. What an idiot.

a very dangerous place without lights..

Hmm. Turning out the lights might end up with people using torches when they go out. Torch bulbs (the filament kind) are inefficient compared to the tubes used in street lighting. You would also have to use a lot of batteries instead of main electricity, also an inefficient use of energy.

I do believe the link said, streetlights outwith town and city centres.

They could use solar lights or energy saving lights. Most people waste so much energy, without thought of the cost (money and enviromental) , the council should be trying to cut energy waste.

I used to live in a little village that didn't have any street lighting. It was not a nice place to walk about at night, you never felt safe even though you probably knew everyone who lived there. When the street lights eventually came we all breathed a sigh of relief and I'm sure if you asked everyone who lives there now, nobody would want to be without their street lights.
    What about trying to save energy by all of these offices, shops etc. switching off at night when everyone has gone home - a complete waste of energy. I'm sure there are many more ways of saving energy than getting rid of street lighting.

Mr Park added that electricity bought for street lighting was "green".
    This might explain the inconsistencies with Highland Council's attitude towards windfarms.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    This might explain the inconsistencies with Highland Council's attitude towards windfarms.
    Rheggers

Agree - do you think Mr Park understands how the national grid actually works. This is extremely frustrating considering he is a decision maker!

Cheers

There are already several such schemes being tried in this area.
    The lighting now works at a much lower level than in the past and is being replaced with non glare which means you can get to see the stars at night, also some test cases where street lighting will go off at 1.00am and comes back on at 5.00am.
    It will be interesting to see what public opinion feels after the six month trials and whether the fears of increased crime are substansiated.
    Personally it would n't worry me if they go off for a few hours each night having been brought up in the country where there was no lighting.

out with the town centers.. what about all the residential areas?
    in the winter it is dark more than light, and unless they want us to go back to the dark ages then we really do need lighting in the residential areas as well.
    you dont realise how dark it really is until all the lights go out!
    http://itqueries.com/

Quote Originally Posted by brandy View Post
    out with the town centers.. what about all the residential areas?
    in the winter it is dark more than light, and unless they want us to go back to the dark ages then we really do need lighting in the residential areas as well.
    you dont realise how dark it really is until all the lights go out!

A councillor wants at least half of the street lamps in the Highlands, outwith town and city centres, to be switched off to cut emissions and costs.

Do people read links before they post!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rob16d View Post
    Next you''ll have us living in the cold and dark!!! It's safer to the towen leaving streetlights on, turning them off would be ridiculous!
    That may be so.... so why not trun of every other one? That would halve the power consumption.
    "Step sideways, pause and study those around you. You will learn a great deal."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast