Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Wick High School's New Uniform

Default Wick High School's New Uniform

After a pupil, parent and staff consultation Wick High School have opted to introduce school uniform as the dress code in August.

The basics of the uniform are black trousers/skirt, white shirt/girls fitted shirt with blazer and tie. These will then be accessorised with items in the school colours of blue, black and gold. Waistcoats and tank tops can also be added.. To try and keep up to date and make the blazer more appealing the badge will be worn on the cuff designer style It will also be available on the pocket should people prefer the more traditional style.

A casual range of sweatshirts, polo shirts, rugby shirts, and T shirts will also be available mostly aimed at the sport side of things. Scarves and bags will also be available. All items will show the school badge.

The PSA have organsied an open evening on Tuesday 22nd May to allow pupils, parents and others the chance to choose what they would like to wear. The event will take place in the Main Hall of the school at 7 pm where various suppliers will show what is available. Pupils will model the uniform and items can be tried on if necessary. Tea etc will be served.

Make a date in your diary Tuesday 22nd May at 7 pm in Wick High School to ensure that your child is kitted out in time for the new school term/

. .

SNOWDOG Guest

About time too! When i was at Wick high the pupils formed a petition to the rector asking for uniforms to be made compulsary. This was due to lack of pride in the school at the time, also there was a lot of bullying due to some kids not having the 'best jacket' or the 'right trainers'. High school is sometimes hard enough without some wee nyaff pokeing fun at your clothes!

Glad to see you are in favour of the return of the uniform. It will certainly be a lot cheaper than designer gear and a lot smarter. It took a long time coming but it will be worth it in the end.

Thumbs up uniform

I think it's wonderful that uniform is going to be worn, sounds like it will look great. Will kids's have the option of wearing the smart items or the casual sweatshirts etc ?

I think a school uniform is smart looking and it will be easy for the kids to get ready in the mornings .. no more should i wear this.. is this make of jeans in at the moment etc type of problems you just put on the uniform and then spend the next hour doing your hair instead...on a more serious note it does cut down on the bullying of not having the "right" clothes though i still see a problem with footwear and jackets though..

The dress code has been a great succes in Thurso so no reason why it should not be so in Wick. It looks good and stops the ever increasing attempts of pupils to want to get more expensive and up to date designer gear where they often pay to advertise a company's name on their clothes.

Default uniform

fair enough school uniform is to be reintroduced, but what about all the clothes that have been bought for the kids to wear ,when are they supposed to wear them they only get 2 days off a week. and by the time the holidays come up these clothes will be to small . i say in this day and age you should be allowed to wear what you want.

you change out of your school uniform when you get home before going out !

while i like school uniform would have preferred something along the lines of thurso. dont like blazers, very stuffy and old.
    no amount of darkness can drive out darkness
    only light can do that.

I have three kids in high school and all of them cant wait for school uniform. The oldest is desperate for the shirt ,tie ,blazer , the full works and she only has one year left in the school.

I am in total agreement with the uniform policy as at times when you see some of the nearly presentable outfits that are being worn I wonder how on earth some of them get out the door without the parents having a fit. My dad would certainly have had heart failure if I had dressed down as some of them do.......

I also think that make up remover should be on standby for some of the girls / boys as they go in the door....painted queens some of them are as they walk in and pull out their school books honestly you would think they were going out to a nightclub.

Rant over for the momment must go back to the dishes after Ive put my mini skirt and lippy on....

Quote Originally Posted by SNOWDOG View Post
    About time too! When i was at Wick high the pupils formed a petition to the rector asking for uniforms to be made compulsary. This was due to lack of pride in the school at the time, also there was a lot of bullying due to some kids not having the 'best jacket' or the 'right trainers'. High school is sometimes hard enough without some wee nyaff pokeing fun at your clothes!
    I am always in favor of school uniform for the very reasons stated. I wish they would bring it back in my sons school, even if it is something causual like dress slacks and polo shirt (blazers wouldn't go down well over here its too hot)

I used to get picked on in primary school because I always wore hand me downs, used to get a right ribbin

From the pupils I have spoken too all are very receptive to school uniform. Even the 'slave to fashion' girls I know, all want the blazer, which surprised me. Despite a blazer being introduced I understand this is not compulsory as they will have sweatshirts, but I suppose if a pupil opts not to wear a blazer (especially on a Caithness winters day) then there must be guidance as to what is acceptable coat wise.

As far as I am aware black appropriate footwear willl be part of the uniform. The blazers are polyester so a jacket can be worn over them in winter.

Quote Originally Posted by SNOWDOG View Post
    ..... pokeing fun at your clothes!

Yeah, why was it that the kids whose parents were on the dole/DHSS and got free school lunches etc etc were always the ones with the newest designer clothes, and who had SKY first, when those of us who had parents who worked made do with Mackay's best??

School Uniforms all the way, but I agree that maybe the wy that Thurso has gone with the "smart but casual" look is better. I actually like seeing hte kids wearing the rugby shirts
    Eagle my fly, but when was the last time you heard of a weasel being sucked into a jet engine?

Well done, Wick - this is long overdue - I still have my Wick High School blazer from 40 years ago - there were only three of us who ever wore it even then, but it was smart - with the school badge, navy, trimmed with gold braid.
    Got the moth now, sadly

If they are going to have blazers part of the uniform, as in olden times (I was there from 1966-72) I wonder if they still have those bannisters that have an end bit poking out. People would be walking along fine then at the start of the stair the poking out bit would insert itself in the pocket of their blazer and *rip* off goes the pocket from the blazer. That's if you were lucky. I saw one bloke lose half of the side of his jacket because he had already lost the pocket once and his mum sewed it back on too securely!

I hated the old school uniform. However in our day there was less of this label fetish that the kids have now, that makes for such competition. You only really thought like that about sports gear. And a baseball cap was something only Yanks wore.

Quote Originally Posted by obiron View Post
    while i like school uniform would have preferred something along the lines of thurso. dont like blazers, very stuffy and old.

As far as I know one doesn't have to wear the 'blazer'. There hopefully will be a fleece jacket. I for one cannot wait until the new term and uniform. A large number of folk I have spoken to (including pupils!!) are keen. And surprisingly the majority I know also prefer the shirt, tie and blazer style.
    Must pop along to the school to see what is on offer on the 22nd
    May.
    Families are like fudge - mostly sweet with a few nuts.

I am all for school uniforms, for the very valid reasons many orgers have already given and wish WHS good luck with it.

However a local secondary school has recently introduced a new uniform code but are not fully enforcing the correct wearing of the uniform.
    The students seem to have all the requisite bits of the uniform but choose to "personalise" it, resulting in a bigger dogs dinner than if they were wearing their own clothes.

On its own website the school even put photographs of "unsuitable modes of dress".
    http://www.nunthorpe.co.uk/Public/Pu...unsuitable.doc

I think the students must have read "suitable" for "unsuitable" because about 90% of them are dressed that way at school coming out time. The only students who adhere to the code are the 1st years. (who look really smart)

Maybe it is an age thing, or the fact I am a dedicated curmudgeon, but I think the clue is in the name UNIFORM - "identical or consistent"
    Take a hundred lines:- "The word is INFRACTION not INFARTION"

The idea of next Tuesday's open evening is to give parents and pupils the chance to choose what they would like. The traditional school uniform is the preferred choice of the school, pupils and parents but items which are classed more as casual for instance sweatchirts, polo shirts fleeces etc will be available but it is hoped that these will be used more for sport or in addition to the uniform in winter. We wouldnt expect children to be standing at a bus stop in winter dressed in a blazer and shirt, would we. If common sense prevails then I think everyone will look smart . Just come along to the open evening and see for yourself what is on offer oh and dont forget and bring your child, after all they are going to be the one who will be wearing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Venture View Post
    The idea of next Tuesday's open evening is to give parents and pupils the chance to choose what they would like. The traditional school uniform is the preferred choice of the school, pupils and parents but items which are classed more as casual for instance sweatchirts, polo shirts fleeces etc will be available but it is hoped that these will be used more for sport or in addition to the uniform in winter. We wouldnt expect children to be standing at a bus stop in winter dressed in a blazer and shirt, would we. If common sense prevails then I think everyone will look smart . Just come along to the open evening and see for yourself what is on offer oh and dont forget and bring your child, after all they are going to be the one who will be wearing it.

So for those of us that can't make it what do we do?
    I take it the kids will be getting some sort of paperwork to bring home? With price lists?
    Do the kids that have decided to stay on have to wear it too?
    Anyone know what shops will be selling the uniform???????
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

http://thetenaciousgardener.blogspot.co.uk/

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast