Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: steam train

Default steam train

I saw something somewhere recently that said a steam train was coming to Thurso, I think this week - does anyone know when?

I hadn't heard anything about that, but will be interested to see if it's right.

Default Steam Train

The railway touring company are traveling up to Thurso and will arrive on Thursday 12th April. Dont know what time though.

www.railwaytouring.co.uk
    Last edited by Royster1911; 10-Apr-07 at 20:05. Reason: Adding a linl

Thursday 12th April 2007
    Arrive Thurso 13.45

Friday 13th April 2007
    Depart Thurso Train station 09.15

More details

Many Thanks had not heard of this

On the way North from Edinburgh today there were people all along the rail tracks with video cameras set up. Could they have been watching for the train coming North. I thought it might be Thomas the Tank going to the speyside railway, or were they filming more Harry Potter??? Seems not and once again the orgers have the answer to everything.

Thanks for the info. I was going to ask as I knew someone out there in orgland would know.

The Harry Potter engine and a couple of carriages were in Inverness station last Thursday, possibly what these folks were waiting to take pictures of.

thanks for your help - will dust off the camera now

The annual Easter Pullman enthusisats special was here last Sunday (or was it Monday LOL).

While we're on about trains, whatever happened to Tesco's plans to bring up goods by rail? I'm sure this was one of their boasts at time of planning? It would be nice to see the 'Safeway' train back again!

Quote Originally Posted by veekay View Post
    Thanks for the info. I was going to ask as I knew someone out there in orgland would know.
    They know EVERYTHING!!!!
    You can fool some of the people some of the time - but never all of the people all of the time!!

and it isny due in til 4pm today now.
    it's a sair fecht

Finally arrived at about 1820

Late and going backwards, make you nostalgic for the days of BR. LOL LOL LOL
    Just when you think everythings fine, life slaps you in the face.

Tell me it was late! blooming thing had me waiting on one of the bridges over the Thurso river to get it on film with a nice backdrop from 13.30 this afternoon, i gave up at 17.10 as i had to be at work half an hour later
    going to have to try again tomorrow morning now.
    www.tugmistress.co.uk

Does anyone know how many people actually travelled on this train? Quite spectacular looking, but I'd rather not.

Yesterday afternoon, a friend of my partner told us what the ticket prices were and for the life of me I can't remember how much it was. But I'd rather just watch the train go past than pay an extortionate price to travel a hundred miles or so up the road. Anyone know how much the tickets cost?
    "People may say what they wish, but we are actually under no compulsion to listen." LJ, and I do so wholeheartedly agree!

Default Thanks

Thanks to Grumphippo for posting the photos. I have linked this on the front page as I am sure many folk willbe interested to see that we still have an occasional visit from an old steam engine.

The photos are great.....reminds me of the times I used to travel back up to Caithness for all my summer holidays

Default thanks for photo

delighted with photo. That is my son and his friend at the train. I was not with him

Hi,

I have just posted on youtube a not very good video of the train passing through Halkirk on Friday morning....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uylwj8YaClg

Shame it was being pushed along by the Diesel train at the back, and the sun was behind it so not very clear really.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyermonkey View Post
    Hi,

I have just posted on youtube a not very good video of the train passing through Halkirk on Friday morning....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uylwj8YaClg

Shame it was being pushed along by the Diesel train at the back, and the sun was behind it so not very clear really.

Nice vid Flyermonkey, the train was huge!
    Why be a hard rock when you really are a gem!