Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526 LastLast

Thread: Atheist Census

Quote Originally Posted by Flynn View Post
    Flynn that is the funniest thing I read in a while hahaha thanks for posting that!
    "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. "

- Martin Luther King, Jr. -

I was emailed a job ad for "Pontiff" today. I dare say it's highly offensive to Catholics, so I won't post it here lest I upset some sensitive souls.

I watched a film the other night, The Invention Of Lying with Ricky Gervais. I have to say, it was'nt my cup of tea, I thought it was quite cruel in places actually and thinking about it, I doubt religious people would find it funny either, but the concept was clever. If you have'nt seen it, It was about a world where everybody told the truth, they had no idea what a lie was, so everybody was taken at their word. Until that is, Ricky Gervais found he could lie. When his mum was dying, she was scared, so he basically made heaven up, and because, as I said nobody could lie, everybody believed him, so it was as if he invented religion. An interesting concept !

Quote Originally Posted by cptdodger View Post
    I watched a film the other night, The Invention Of Lying with Ricky Gervais. I have to say, it was'nt my cup of tea, I thought it was quite cruel in places actually and thinking about it, I doubt religious people would find it funny either, but the concept was clever. If you have'nt seen it, It was about a world where everybody told the truth, they had no idea what a lie was, so everybody was taken at their word. Until that is, Ricky Gervais found he could lie. When his mum was dying, she was scared, so he basically made heaven up, and because, as I said nobody could lie, everybody believed him, so it was as if he invented religion. An interesting concept !
    What that film did was show religion for what it is: A lie so people don't worry about dying.
    Radical, Man!

Exactly, That's why I said, I do'nt think religious people would be too fond of this film !!

Quote Originally Posted by secrets in symmetry View Post
    I was emailed a job ad for "Pontiff" today. I dare say it's highly offensive to Catholics, so I won't post it here lest I upset some sensitive souls.
    Yeah that is as ridiculous as saving offence by not taking the micky out would-be Dumbledores at a Harry Potter convention.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

What that film did was show religion for what it is: A lie so people don't worry about dying.
    That and to keep people under control, medieval style.
    Apologies if that has already been said somewhere already but I really can't be bothered reading 25 pages of this thread.

You atheists are so funny. I thought this thread had run its' natural course, but here you all are again, obsessing about God. You seem incapable of living happily with believing in no God and leaving those of us that do, to benefit from our belief. It doesn't bother me one iota, what you, or anyone else thinks. If believing in nothing helps you get through a day, then you have my blessings. There are doubtless, many believers who read the forum, but do not choose to contribute. I can understand that. We have the kind of faith that you sadly have never, nor probably will ever, experience. It's a shame really, but you're not to know the tremendous difference it makes. I wouldn't swap my gift of faith for all the riches of the world.

I call it a delusion.

Quote Originally Posted by M Swanson View Post
    You seem incapable of living happily with believing in no God and leaving those of us that do, to benefit from our belief. It doesn't bother me one iota, what you, or anyone else thinks.
    That is a bit rich of you isn't it? Preach what you preach. Afterall this is a thread about an Atheist Census, so it is nothing to do with you. Leave us alone, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    I call it a delusion.
    That is a bit rich of you isn't it? Preach what you preach. Afterall this is a thread about an Atheist Census, so it is nothing to do with you. Leave us alone, eh?
    Thats too symplistic Rheghead. I used to call it a delusion even before dawkins but even if it is a delusion its still more complex than that. Anything that deals with human emotions is going to get a lot of stick. Delusion or not somethings happening to millions of people through a belief. Its not all bad in fact most of its for the good but fanatical people will warp anything, even atheism. Theres always more than religion behind every suicide bomber.
    You asked a question at the start of this thread and the threads developed as it has and its thrown up some interesting answers, for me anyway, about the wisdom between New Atheists and religious people. The truth is ones as bad as the other.

The world is ripped apart by religious division but we are one step away from being united together in one universal philosophy by answering one question truthfully.

The world is ripped apart by religious division but we are one step away from being united together in one universal philosophy by answering one question truthfully.
    Its sounding like a new religion but ill ask anyway.

What???? I can't imagine any question that will unite the peoples and religions of the world. I'm intrigued, Rheg. What would that question be, or is this a wind-up? I've a feeling we may be looking at a huge delusion here.

Quote Originally Posted by gleeber View Post
    Its sounding like a new religion but ill ask anyway.
    What new religion is that gleeber?

What???? I can't imagine any question that will unite the peoples and religions of the world. I'm intrigued, Rheg. What would that question be, or is this a wind-up? I've a feeling we may be looking at a huge delusion here.
    Nothing will unite the religions of the world. That is the whole point. Imagine it, one delusional person trying to convince another...

Ah! So what is the question?

What new religion is that gleeber?
    You declared the world was one step away from uniting. That sounds religious, but I was interested in the question that keeps us from uniting?

If I'm "delusional," for believing in God, when I can't prove it to a non-believers satisfaction, then that must also mean you are equally "delusional," for not believing in God, when you can't prove He doesn't exist either. Doesn't it?

Ah! So what is the question?
    I'm guessing that one question would be....

Q: Is there a God?
    A: No

Simples!!!!
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."