Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: big gig 2007: any willing bands or reccomendations

Quote Originally Posted by Leadhead View Post
    I find it a tad unfiar that the votin thing got puled early. Astronot shouldn't headline. Why? Because all the kidds will b in there beds by then!

BOSS HOGG should headline!
    Awww come on now. Just cos your choice didn't win doesn't mean you should throw your toys out the pram. Who cares who headlines? Saturday nights headliners are yet to play a gig in their current form but no-one has moaned about that!

Ok, being in both bands that you mention allows me to be the one to respond to your message without any worry of being set upon by the music board hounds (I hope) but I think you'll find that both bands have very similar age groups of people who follow them and it is unfair to dismiss Astronot because you consider them a band for kiddies.

Poor old K Dragon, no matter what he tries to do, it ends up getting pulled to pieces. I think it was a remarkably fair way of doing it, to setup a poll, but still people complain.. Ahh well, thats the caithness musical scene for you.

Personally, I'd have rather seen Duress headline the friday night, with Reeves random banter, and Bones powerposing, theyre ideal headliners :-), but popular opinion is against that it seems, and I'm sure Astronot will be great.

I think the reason no one is complaining about Stevie playing the saturday night headline, is cos, well, its Stevie He always pulls in a good crowd, and with the Fats band not playing, and Estrella not doing it again, surely he's the obvious choice round here?

Oh, and as we polled 2nd, (with a whole 9 votes, about 8 more than people I knew actually liked us *lol*), do we get 2nd slot? Is this what stardom feels like? *rofl* no more autographs people, please

Its all good fun folks, just hope lots of people turn up on the days, and have a great time listening to local bands doing their thing. And please try and support K Dragon, he must be regretting taking all this on, and he needs to be supported, not slammed for every choice he tries to make. Surely this is a good event for the local scene. Just go with the flow, however its setup, and have fun :-)
    Last edited by Kev_Plastic_Food; 06-Mar-07 at 12:43.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev_Plastic_Food View Post
    I think the reason no one is complaining about Stevie playing the saturday night headline, is cos, well, its Stevie He always pulls in a good crowd, and with the Fats band not playing, and Estrella not doing it again, surely he's the obvious choice round here?
    I wasn't complaining about Stevie, Kev. Can't wait to see the new band in action. I've been to a few of their rehearsals and they're sounding tight. Nothing like some classic rock/metal action in a field late on an August evening. Superb!

Quote Originally Posted by theboss View Post
    I wasn't complaining about Stevie, Kev. Can't wait to see the new band in action. I've been to a few of their rehearsals and they're sounding tight. Nothing like some classic rock/metal action in a field late on an August evening. Superb!
    Oh, I know you werent complaining mate, just commenting as to why no-one else seems to be either, given the complaints about just about everything else. I'm looking forward to hearing the new band myself

Oh, I know you werent complaining mate, just commenting as to why no-one else seems to be either, given the complaints about just about everything else. I'm looking forward to hearing the new band myself
    No probs Kev. You guys got anything coming up? Haven't heard/seen PF play in ages.

No probs Kev. You guys got anything coming up? Haven't heard/seen PF play in ages.
    Things have been pretty quiet with us for a while, we have a new drummer now, so going through a bit of a 'getting used to each other' phase, but he's fitting right in, and we've been told we sound really good with him,so looking forward to getting out and playing. Finally starting to make some progress on some new material too, which is always a plus.
    Last edited by Kev_Plastic_Food; 06-Mar-07 at 13:06.

Personally, I'd have rather seen Duress headline the friday night, with Reeves random banter, and Bones powerposing, theyre ideal headliners
    Cheers dude, hopefully someone will have invented the 'Pay as you Talk' Microphone by then. Thus limiting Reevs random gibberish between songs to 'Hello, We are Duress' and, 'Goodnight, We are Duress, You've been a great crowd' lol.

Quote Originally Posted by moncur View Post
    Cheers dude, hopefully someone will have invented the 'Pay as you Talk' Microphone by then. Thus limiting Reevs random gibberish between songs to 'Hello, We are Duress' and, 'Goodnight, We are Duress, You've been a great crowd' lol.
    Lol, that would be an awesome invention. On the other hand, it quite useful to have him gibbering between songs, while the rest of us argue about what we're going to play next

It is sad that, in a forum like this, a musician can refer to the most up front successful local band as " Entrails". This illustrates perfectly my feelings about the culprit who plays, I believe, in a band called "Astrocrap". Estrella may not be your cup of tea but their CD is lightyears ahead of anything else I have heard from a young local band. They seem to have gone to Aberdeen for the Right reasons and have stayed and are getting somewhere which is more can be said for he who calls them Entrails. Grow Up Jeid!!!!
    I have no doubt that the protagonist will try excuses and his usual bland banter but this piece of childish pique is uncalled for and distasteful.
    Whatever his reply to this, my point is made, and I will not reply.
    In the image of God? You must be joking!

Aaaah, Gleber2. How interesting it is to read your statement sticking up for a band who in the past I have heard you refer to as "a bunch of cocky upstarts" amongst other distasteful phrases which a man of your supposed intellect would never dream of saying about a fellow musician. Now there's a thought, it was maybe wrong of Jeid to make fun of a local act just because they do not produce his taste of music or for that matter get on with them in a personal sense however, you seem to quickly forget past incidents out with and also on this very forum where you have publicly verbally abused not only people personally but also their musical ability. You can't come on here acting like some form of Superman protecting the innocent and fighting the baddies when you yourself know just as well as I do that there is no-one who has managed to fall out with as many Caithness rock/blues/country musicians as you have.

I agree that the Estrella E.P is very well produced and has been mixed and mastered to a high level however that doesn't mean that I enjoy their music whether it be live or recorded. If you feel it's lightyears ahead then that's fine, that's your opinion. I personally think it was written between 1977 and 1988 but what would I know.

I find it laughable that you call Jeid's (and my own) band "Astrocrap" and would argue that you have never even attended an Astronot gig to make that kind of judgment. At least Jeid has seen Estrella! It is however your opinion and if it wasn't for the threat of the mods throwing me off this forum which we all seem to consider as the be all and end all off music discussion in Caithness and the fact that name calling isn't something I want to get into then I would be delighted to post equally hilarious adjustments to your own bands name... though I'm more than confident that you've been called worse than what I could come up.

I know, how about you come along to our E.P launch in Skinandi's on the 24th of March? We'll even send you an invitation so you wouldn't have to pay. You can make a proper judgement of the band then. That would make a great night out eh? Astronot, Boss Hogg, Crimson Tide, Stevie Taylor, Mark Wright and Gleber2, all one big happy family. We could bury the hatchet over all those silly SILLY incidents that were blown out of proportion by our very own local music God (is that name calling?... Nah!) and we could have a nice drink and a chat together. Can't wait!

I await a great reply!

Called you Astrocrap to make a point and the point has been taken by a few if not by yourself. When I called Estrella a bunch of cocky young upstarts, they were. This was on a personal level, not a musical one. They have gone on to achieve a lot of what they set out to do and my opinions have changed somewhat.

You might, although I doubt it, want to see a hatchet buried. In that I have absolutely no interest.
    Trying to think where I abused peoples musical ability on this forum and can't. Personally I have replied and defended many times on a personal level. For one such as myself, who views 95% of all modern music to be crap, I cannot see a point to my coming to the March gig as nothing you could play would appeal to me and nothing you could possibly say could change my opinion of Jeid and his childish jealousy.

As you say we are all entitled to our opinions, me no less than you. BTW where do you get the God bit?
    Last edited by Gleber2; 06-Mar-07 at 16:46.

A very dignified response Gleber2. You're argumentitive streak has gone I see. Fair enough!

There was a point where you verbally abused someone on this forum and I believe the thread was removed, anyway, makes no difference now.

I couldn't care less about burying the hatchet you're right. We all have our opinions on what went on during that time and i'm sure you still think you were right as do the others involved including myself.

I know your opinions on modern music as i've heard you voice your opinions on it many times however surely as a man who is so up to date on the modern technology used to create todays music you would give the actual music a chance as well. Trends and tastes move on, along with the technology. Maybe you should at least try it?

We'll send you an invite anyway! Go on, support local music like others have supported you over the years!

A very dignified response Gleber2. You're argumentitive streak has gone I see. Fair enough!

There was a point where you verbally abused someone on this forum and I believe the thread was removed, anyway, makes no difference now.

I couldn't care less about burying the hatchet you're right. We all have our opinions on what went on during that time and i'm sure you still think you were right as do the others involved including myself.

I know your opinions on modern music as i've heard you voice your opinions on it many times however surely as a man who is so up to date on the modern technology used to create todays music you would give the actual music a chance as well. Trends and tastes move on, along with the technology. Maybe you should at least try it?

We'll send you an invite anyway! Go on, support local music like others have supported you over the years!
    My arguementative streak is stronger than ever but it is difficult to find some-one worth arguing with on this board. I am bang up to date with musical forms and trends, 95% of which is crap. I am more up to date about modern music than you are about me and my music.

Quote Originally Posted by Gleber2 View Post
    My arguementative streak is stronger than ever but it is difficult to find some-one worth arguing with on this board. I am bang up to date with musical forms and trends, 95% of which is crap. I am more up to date about modern music than you are about me and my music.
    Someone worth arguing with? There you go putting yourself above everyone as per usual! If that's your opinion of folk on this board then it's no wonder people enjoy arguing with you.

Again, opinions... you state 95% of modern musical forms and trends are 'crap', fine, that's your opinion, but i'm pretty confident that the 90,000 people who attend T in the Park every year would disagree, and like you, that is there opinion. That's fine.

You're right about one thing though. I am not up to date on what you are doing musically these days, but then I haven't had an invite to the lighthouse or any of your gigs for nearly 18 months now. I've just invited you to my gig though... go on!!! Come along! I'll get that invite out to you tomorrow.

damn! and i have to pay to get in.

(sits in corner sulking)

looking forward to that gig, my other half ahsnt heard any of the local groups and im dragging her along, so should be interesting.

plus i have not heard crimson tide in ages, alog with boss hogg.

oh and jeid, there was a new song you played towards the end of your set list at the halloween gig, lot of attitude to it, you know the one me and my mate were madly head banging to lol looking forward to hearing that song.

should be a good night plus im looking forward to seeing what the (grits teeth) new y not bar looks like.

have we got a place to have this gig yet?
    Big Imagination For Feeling Young Cause Life Yearns Real Optimism

i thought it was blatently obvious that it was the dammies

Someone worth arguing with? There you go putting yourself above everyone as per usual! If that's your opinion of folk on this board then it's no wonder people enjoy arguing with you.

Again, opinions... you state 95% of modern musical forms and trends are 'crap', fine, that's your opinion, but i'm pretty confident that the 90,000 people who attend T in the Park every year would disagree, and like you, that is there opinion. That's fine.

You're right about one thing though. I am not up to date on what you are doing musically these days, but then I haven't had an invite to the lighthouse or any of your gigs for nearly 18 months now. I've just invited you to my gig though... go on!!! Come along! I'll get that invite out to you tomorrow.
    Away wi' ye loon!! The people, I find, that are worth arguing with on this forum don't argue with me, they discuss. In the case of most of the young muso's I have had disputes with , the old adage well applies, " You can't argue with ignorance", and I would apply that to anyone whose has actually enjoyed the garbage that I have seen and heard playing at T in the Park. If 1,000,000 people like a piece of crap, it is still a peice of crap.
    There is no band on planet earth would induce me to spend a Saturday evening in Skinnandi's so send your free invite to K. Dragon.

This thread is lethal! Mon TheBoss

Quote Originally Posted by Fats View Post
    It is sad that, in a forum like this, a musician can refer to the most up front successful local band as " Entrails". This illustrates perfectly my feelings about the culprit who plays, I believe, in a band called "Astrocrap". Estrella may not be your cup of tea but their CD is lightyears ahead of anything else I have heard from a young local band. They seem to have gone to Aberdeen for the Right reasons and have stayed and are getting somewhere which is more can be said for he who calls them Entrails. Grow Up Jeid!!!!
    I have no doubt that the protagonist will try excuses and his usual bland banter but this piece of childish pique is uncalled for and distasteful.
    Whatever his reply to this, my point is made, and I will not reply.
    They've got somewhere? Where exactly have they got themselves Fats?

So let me get this right, I can't call Estrella, "Entrails" (and yes, I do think their music is guff), but it's perfectly ok for you to call "95% of modern music rubbish"... double standards much?

I've got no excuses. As I've said in the past, I don't have any problems telling people what I think of them. Unlike you who surrounds yourself with "yes men", I prefer people who'll tell me exactly what they think. Darren and I regularly argue over the littlest things regarding the band. We're up front and to the point with each other. I'd much rather he was like that instead of just agreeing with all my musical ideas.

Called you Astrocrap to make a point and the point has been taken by a few if not by yourself. When I called Estrella a bunch of cocky young upstarts, they were. This was on a personal level, not a musical one. They have gone on to achieve a lot of what they set out to do and my opinions have changed somewhat.
    What difference does it make if it was on a personal level or a musical level... you're missing the point, you still slagged them off. You're not exempt just because it was personal.

Up to date with musical forms? Does that include digital recording? Could you explain what dithering is then?

Away wi' ye loon!! The people, I find, that are worth arguing with on this forum don't argue with me, they discuss. In the case of most of the young muso's I have had disputes with , the old adage well applies, " You can't argue with ignorance", and I would apply that to anyone whose has actually enjoyed the garbage that I have seen and heard playing at T in the Park. If 1,000,000 people like a piece of crap, it is still a peice of crap.
    There is no band on planet earth would induce me to spend a Saturday evening in Skinnandi's so send your free invite to K. Dragon.
    Aye, In your opinion it's a piece of crap. Just because you don't enjoy it, doesn't mean everyone else shouldn't (apart from your disciples of course).

You've got your head jammed so far up your own arse, you know that? You seem to think that everyone should live by the rules you set. I tell you what lad, I couldn't give a toss what you think, I really couldn't. You sit in your bloody lighthouse thinking you're the king. Well you're not. I'm sick of your "holier than thou" attitude to people and music. Just because you've played music since the stone age(and it shows), you don't know everything. The fact that you don't even give modern music a chance shows your ignorance.

You're stuck in the past gramps... stuck in the past...

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast