Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Wick fishing boats

I remember the Westward (of Aukengill) - Jimmy, Geordie and Robbie Begg - but not its number.

Once I saw it moored at Summerbank pier in Aukengill.

As far as I am concerned, the best ever thread on Caithness.org. You have a great memory and archive, Peter. It would be great if it could be combined and made available on this site. On the other hand it would probably be a lot of work to undertake and unfair to ask you to do so

Partan

The Westward WK798 built 1918 by Allans of Thurso for Allan and Craigie of Thurso
    Keel 33ft LOA 39.2ft Beam 11.9ft Draft 4.9ft 9.25 Tons Gross and Nett
    Skippers Neil MacIntosh from 11/1918 George Reid from 5/6/1930 Angus McIntosh from 16/7/1931 George Sutherland from 6/6/1934 all of Thurso then Robert Begg of Auckingill from 4/7/1941 until the vessel was sold to Greenock on 22/10/1965
    I mind seeing pics of her lying there in the Canisbay book which along with Donald Youngs book of Lybster are great sources of info
    All best
    PM

Thumbs down

hi peter DIV E MIND
    there was a boat went on the rocks dont know if it was loch erripol way
    three of them was geordie thain derby and micky robertson
    they scrambled onto the rocks and a crofter found them
    micky never went to the sea again??? tony

Ive read the Receiver of Wrecks report on the loss of the Pursuit WK69 on the Rabbit Islands and that looks like the boat in question !!!! It did say that James Derby Swanson was skipper She built Sandhaven 1932 Sunk 18/1/1951 at Tongue LOA 52.1 ft B 15.9 ft D 5.4 ft Tonnage G and N 20.40 Tons She was BCK125 came to WK registry on 24/10/1946
    All best
    PM

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by peter macdonald View Post
    Ive read the Receiver of Wrecks report on the loss of the Pursuit WK69 on the Rabbit Islands and that looks like the boat in question !!!! It did say that James Derby Swanson was skipper She built Sandhaven 1932 Sunk 18/1/1951 at Tongue LOA 52.1 ft B 15.9 ft D 5.4 ft Tonnage G and N 20.40 Tons She was BCK125 came to WK registry on 24/10/1946
    All best
    PM
    that could be it peter james derby was nums brother they said he went back on board as there was STOKER in a drawer and he just got off when she slipped off tony

Been following this thread with great interest and nostalgia. Readers may be interested in the long journey of one of the Wick fleet. In 1958 we bought the Starlight from Lossiemouth (built 1933 by John Dunn of Lossie) for £1,250.00. When I left Wick in 1961 it was sold and converted into a motor yacht in Suffolk. In 2004 the same Starlight, with the same 95 Gardner engine, was for sale in Malta. Asking price £125,000.00!! It is amazing how age adds value to life.

How about it Peter, compile all that knowledge and preserve it in words.
    You will be well supported in such a venture.

Filling in some gaps.
    I seem to recall that there was an earlier Bluebell in Wick in the late 1940s?

The Atalanta was in Wick in 1955/56. I was on board for a week in December 1955 before I joined the Enterprise. Alistair Budge was the skipper, Sandy Stewart was on board but I cannot recall the name of the third crewman.

Wick Heritage Museum has an interesting film of the Morina laying on nets and sailing on what was thought to be the last recorded herring fishing trip from Wick.

John Yes there was an earlier Bluebell ,I also forgot about the Pearl and just looking at the Scrabster Thurso list Ive left out the Vine and Crissy all of which Ive researched recently
    Old age Im afraid
    PM
    Last edited by peter macdonald; 15-Nov-08 at 11:47.

Default Wick Fishing Boats

This has been one of the best threads on the org. and really stretches the memory but it has just crossed my mind that nothing has been said about a very brave set of fishernen who went to sea from Wick namely those who followed the handline fishing in their small boats, there was the Ruby, Pansy, Fruitful and others whose boats I cannot remember the name.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Mizpah View Post
    This has been one of the best threads on the org. and really stretches the memory but it has just crossed my mind that nothing has been said about a very brave set of fishernen who went to sea from Wick namely those who followed the handline fishing in their small boats, there was the Ruby, Pansy, Fruitful and others whose boats I cannot remember the name.
    can rember the handline boats fishing off shore.there was one had a red sail seems it was some mannie wattand you could always spot him
    having said that some of the fisherman mentioned here had been at the handlines
    num was a crack hand at taking bearings of the land at this side
    places like hilti head off noss and the like
    there was always a good price for handline fish there was quite often a halibut or a turbot landed too tony

Thumbs down

canna go through all this again but was the el alemein mentioned[smithy ]
    they had some disasters in her time tony

Aye Tony
    They did not have the best of kuck
    She was originaly INS 107 WINDSOR LAD 32.60 Tonns Gross and Nett built by Thomson Buckie in 1934 with a Crossley engine for Robert Corstorphine before she came to Wick
    All best PM

Default Danish boats fishing from Wick

I got this from a friend of mine who had listed all the Danish fishing vessels using Wick 1935-41 included
    Asboe E270,
    Kirstine FN202,
    Vand Syssel 2 FN305,
    Max Georg E408,
    Evelyn E408,
    Ribes L83 ,
    Laeso FN345 ,
    Ulla E502,
    Linda E442,
    Lady E65,
    Tonny FN34 ,
    Vasterland HG76,
    Marie FN29 ,
    Molso A712
    E,Lauland FN189 ,
    Annie FN196 .
    Evald A69 ,
    Anna Schou FN 298 ,
    Kristian FN66 .
    M Aaen E524 ,
    Ellen E280 (skipper Kramer)
    Ebbe Maria FN3 (skipper Carlsen),
    Ladstrand FN360.
    P Schou FN292 (Skipper Jansen)
    Anna Dorethea FN242 (skipper Rasmussen)
    Syrenen FN133 (skipper Matiesen) ,
    Energi FN20,
    Ebba FN15 ,
    Venus H213,
    Nordlyset FN47 ,
    Astoria H123 ,
    Anna E 11 .
    Ostkysten E378
    Hans Tavsen E372.
    Erna FN180
    Axel Schou FN257
    Maybe some of the older Orgers will remember some of these and of course the Metha from Fredrikshaven which was lost with all hands trying to enter Wick Harbour in March 1934 The crew lost were Karl Neilsen (skipper) Karl Halgran Jacob Jacobsen and 15 year old Borje Qvist
    Swedish fishing boats in the same period
    Marga LL965
    Linnea LL590
    Berny LL854
    Nippon GG248
    Rex LL418
    Forget Me Nought SD390
    Vasterhavet GG97
    Shamrock SD 449
    Magne LL247
    Rane LL688
    Zaida LL1057
    Ragnhild GG156
    Elin MD 857
    Comet GG158
    Runa GG382
    Willard GG198
    Ziva LL103
    Sjofogel LL208
    Crosby LL248
    Arne MD312
    Sonja LL525
    Hispano GG 103
    Lillvar GG432
    PM
    Last edited by peter macdonald; 15-Nov-08 at 22:56.

Default Day Star

My uncle was a partner in the fishing boat the Day Star (Wk84, I think). Can anyone give me any information about the history of this boat.

Daystar WK84 ex Lossie boat INS317 owned by Eddie Farquhar of Lossie 57.3 ft 31 tons MWLQ (radio callsign) Sold to Wick to Liam Smith and David Plowman in 1972 Built by Noble Fraserburgh in 1955 with a Gardner 152 engine
    Sank about 12 miles NW of Holborn Head
    Hope this helps
    PM

Never relised there was so many Danish boats using Wick during the war.I still say this is best thread to appear on the org. I for one have learned a lot.

Thumbs down

yes the metha was lost when i was a boy. it seems they tried to turn him back from trying to take the harbour with rockets etc
    she broached and failed to take the entrance
    there was a poem written on this but cant rember much about it tony

Ken yin hoosie on the top o' Spittal Hill,weel it's nae there

The Daystar is no very far fae the Causea wreck nnw o' Holborn Hd,the El-Alimein sunk after she gied to Ireland,one o' the trawl doors gied through her side.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Tighsonas4 View Post
    yes the metha was lost when i was a boy. it seems they tried to turn him back from trying to take the harbour with rockets etc
    she broached and failed to take the entrance
    there was a poem written on this but cant rember much about it tony
    as far as i remember there was three of these boats going to try for the harbourbut two decided against it and went about but the metha unfortunately decided to give it a try with dire results tony

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast