Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516 LastLast

Thread: shops in thurso

i think there was another milk machine at the toll at bridge end - before tommy riley and the pentland printers went in there about 1974-75

Default shops in thurso

After looking at old programmes for the picture house here are some who advertised in them, sorry if some has been mentioned from 1953 to 1976

R.B.Riddle carpenter and contractor
    57 high street thurso.

John Maclean & J cameron painters and decorators
    6 rotterdam street. Telephone 126 (lol now that is an old number).

A.G. Sinclair & Son coachbuilders
    Riverside.

George Durran & Son furniture repairs, french polishing
    Riverside Thurso.

George Manson licensed grocer
    20 High Street.

Thurso Engineering & Foundry general engineers
    Millbank Road.

James Clark coal merchant
    56 Springpark Terrace.

George McBeath watchmaker and Jeweller
    6 Trail Street.

I Stewart. everything for the nursery
    15 Rotterdam street.

Alex Sutherland building contractor, plumber and eclectrician
    70 Princess street.

Alpine Mc Gregor glass and china merchant
    57 high street.

Spears & Co fish merchant

A.F Campbell tobacconist and confectioner
    27 Princess street.

D Sutherland morning coffee, afternoon teas
    4 Sinclair street.

Northern Wireless Store
    Swanson street.

W.D.Murray cycle and sports agent
    High Street.

Maitland & Sinclair painters and decorators
    39 Oldfield Terrace-13 Campbell Street

Patrick Manson rado dealer
    7 Sir Johns square.

Robin Mackay butcher and poulterer
    Cowie Lane.

Kismet Guest

Smile shops in thurso

Wasn't the posh boutique next to the Royal not "Rays of Thurso" also sold ornaments and stuff had a wee staircase down to where sold candles and ornaments and remember there being real broomsticks there

Kismet Guest

Default Shops in Thurso

The Bistro was the Ships Wheel I think, and the baby shop where good vibrations was was babyland I think, part of Butresses if I remember right

Pentland Sports Emporium used to be located opposite the Tennis Courts ,the travel agents used to be the TSB and Atlanta Sports used to be Mcleods grocers and when i were but a lad i used to deliver groceries from there on thier bike with the large basket on the front

Cool

remember kt consoles above sandras?? brilliant place!! four player goldeneye on the n64. ace!!
    "I hate japan and i hate tv!!"

Quote Originally Posted by kingkeithy84 View Post
    remember kt consoles above sandras?? brilliant place!! four player goldeneye on the n64. ace!!
    Now that really makes me feel old (when youngsters start remembering places), especially somewhere I knew in it's previous life as the Princess Cafe.

The 99p shop used to be the Co-op, Woolies years ago used to be a Butcher and next door was a hairdresser's/Barbers, I think. The Hydro Electric was Gunns Jewellers. The old building which is next to Cards n Things used to be a clothes shop and a fish shop. Up where the flats are at Springpark area think its Mayfield road/Dunnet Road there used to be a sweet shop and round the corner used to be a butcher. Where the ladies Macallans shop is that used to be an Ironmongers. The Bistro used to be the Ships Wheel, Sutherland Chemist used to be an Ironmongers also and next to that Williamson's Chemist used to be, it wasn't a big shop tho. I also remember where Body and Soul is now that used to be a cafe and there used to be one across the road where the Chinese is now or there abouts. There was a wool shop that also sold some items of clothing where Pentland Housing is now, CLB used to be where there are houses now next to the tyre place in Mill Road, there were also a sweet shop where Millers Copy Shop is and a sweet shop up past the Swimming Pool which is now a Hairdressers, I canna think o anymore to be honest I think thats enough to be going on with....
    Last edited by ellimac; 13-May-08 at 23:00.

Reading through some of the posts it seems Thurso had a retail version of musical chairs. The only shop that appears to have stayed in place is Johnston's bakery shop.

Quote Originally Posted by joxville View Post
    Reading through some of the posts it seems Thurso had a retail version of musical chairs. The only shop that appears to have stayed in place is Johnston's bakery shop.
    You're probably right there Joxville. Memories of old Miss Tulloch come flooding back.

Kismet Guest

Default shops in thurso

mmmmm princes cafe or the prinnie as we knew it. I remember it for iced cokes and cheeseburgers. You could get pack of cards from behind the counter and there was a game like a snooker board but with mushroom shaped thingies on it or am i wrong,keep gonna say billiards but don't think that is right duh

Quote Originally Posted by ellimac View Post
    The 99p shop used to be the Co-op, Woolies years ago used to be a Butcher and next door was a hairdresser's/Barbers, I think. The Hydro Electric was Gunns Jewellers. The old building which is next to Cards n Things used to be a clothes shop and a fish shop. Up where the flats are at Springpark area think its Mayfield road/Dunnet Road there used to be a sweet shop and round the corner used to be a butcher. Where the ladies Macallans shop is that used to be an Ironmongers. The Bistro used to be the Ships Wheel, Sutherland Chemist used to be an Ironmongers also and next to that Williamson's Chemist used to be, it wasn't a big shop tho. I also remember where Body and Soul is now that used to be a cafe and there used to be one across the road where the Chinese is now or there abouts. There was a wool shop that also sold some items of clothing where Pentland Housing is now, CLB used to be where there are houses now next to the tyre place in Mill Road, there were also a sweet shop where Millers Copy Shop is and a sweet shop up past the Swimming Pool which is now a Hairdressers, I canna think o anymore to be honest I think thats enough to be going on with....
    Gosh!!! My head is spinning Body N Soul used to be a bike shop and the Hairdresser passed the swiming pool a grocer in my day

Any one mind the lovely Twins (from Wick ) Ironmongers on Traill St what a loss they were then Sinclairs shop ( still there ) Buttresses soft Furnishings(to you and me Curtains & Sheets now gone in old photographers place) Babyshop gone as well Town is changing still there are a few new ones springing up
    Its nice to be nice

Cool Memories

Quote Originally Posted by Royster1911 View Post
    I remember it well Gleeber2. Used to get our 3d muffins from there. That is 3 Pence people, not 3d as in graphics. Sounds like you are mid to late 50s gleeber2. Good age to be
    Gleeber2 has a great memory for the old days but now I find out he's only a young fella,I always thought he was older,when I worked in the bakery as a school kid he probibly ate stuff I helped with Luey Gray & (racking my brain)used to live in the front of the Glebe just over the fence from us AHH the memories,makes tou wish you could go back in time
    I can resist anything but temtation

Cool Not sure

Quote Originally Posted by Gleber2 View Post
    Are ye sure id wis Acky Don. Id wis aalways Alec Cannop, aka Mealymouth, who also ran e' bathing huts and hed e' pony on e' beach when id wisna pulling his fish cert. His youngest loon wis ma best freend in e' Glebe. Ah wis aalways chelous o' him cause he aalways hed a horse when he wis a cowboy in e' gala week!!I hed none of course.
    Do any of you brainy boys remember the farrier(dont know if spelt right) somewhere between the Miller Acad & the Glebe,I have some memories of passing it on the way home,can still smell the hoof when he took the shoe out of the fire and stuck it on the big horse,big cloud of smoke & smell,never going to get sleep tonight wandering around Thurso
    Last edited by darkie@dreamtilt.com.au; 14-May-08 at 09:13. Reason: Made an error
    I can resist anything but temtation

Quote Originally Posted by Kismet View Post
    mmmmm princes cafe or the prinnie as we knew it. I remember it for iced cokes and cheeseburgers. You could get pack of cards from behind the counter and there was a game like a snooker board but with mushroom shaped thingies on it or am i wrong,keep gonna say billiards but don't think that is right duh
    Bar Billiards - we were talking about it at the Weigh Inn only last week - I got some very quizzical looks while trying to explain the game - how long ago was that?

Kismet Guest

Probs about thirty years so I was right it Bar billiards canna mind how it was played but remember the table standing just inside the door

Over the pond, but not quite over the hill yet

Quote Originally Posted by ellimac View Post

Ellimac, you're getting confused about what stood before Woolies, next to the town hall. Woolworths was built in the late 50s/early60s, and prior to that it had been a shop called Norn's that sold toys, fancy goods (ornaments, etc.), icecream and sweets. I remember what it looked like from the outside, when I was a wee bairn, and it definitely wasn't a butcher's, nor was there a barber shop next to it. Gleber2 is the one who remembered the name of the shop, and what was sold there. Read posts 128 through 137 from page 7 of this thread, please.

Are you talking about the Hydro Electric shop that was on Princes Street in the 60s and 70s? Gunn the jeweller was across from there at one time, where Pollard the estate agent iis now. After he moved his premises to opposite the Arcade, it became Joy's Boutique in the late 60s/early70s, which sold knitwear.

Cards 'n' Things in Sir John's Square used to be Shearer the grocer in the 60s and 70s. Next to it was a shoe shop (Miller's?) then Shearer the butcher on the corner. At the Princes Street end next to Shearer the grocer was an electrical shop, Bain and Gibson's, I think. There might have been an opticians in there at one time, as well.

I believe the ironmonger you are referring to was Mackay's on High Street, ellimac. The Bistro was indeed the Ship's Wheel antique shop back then, and Sutherland the chemist used to be Anderson the ironmonger. I knew Williamson the chemist as McGregor the chemist, and they were located between Anderson's, Hepworth's the Tailor and Top Joe Cardosi's. Munro the chemist was across from Anderson's, and next to Miller Calder's furniture shop. So you had the Ship's Wheel, a wee grocer's (Mackay's?). George McBeath the jeweller, Johnston's the baker, then Miller Calder's, Munro's and William Dunnet's garage and showroom. As you can tell, I'm enjoying this walk down Memory Lane again!
    I am living for today, always remembering yesterday, and looking forward to tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by darkie@dreamtilt.com.au View Post
    Do any of you brainy boys remember the farrier(dont know if spelt right) somewhere between the Miller Acad & the Glebe,I have some memories of passing it on the way home,can still smell the hoof when he took the shoe out of the fire and stuck it on the big horse,big cloud of smoke & smell,never going to get sleep tonight wandering around Thurso
    I think I know the blacksmiths you mean. It was up one of the side streets. I remember one of the men who had it, Mr Dunnett - he would be in his 90s if he was still alive.