Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Failures of the SNP!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by The Horseman View Post
    £15 Bbbillion in debt...that should never have happened.
    To be in debt, one has to borrow money. The Scottish government in Holyrood doesn't have borrowing powers? My question is who borrowed such a large amount of money on Scotland's behalf?
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

Quote Originally Posted by Gronnuck View Post
    To be in debt, one has to borrow money. The Scottish government in Holyrood doesn't have borrowing powers? My question is who borrowed such a large amount of money on Scotland's behalf?
    It would appear ‘Debt’ should be replaced by ‘Deficit’.

Ahh the GERS deficit of £15.1Bn. How do you think we arrived at that?
    What GERS is asking you to believe is that with just 8.2% of the UK population Scotland created between 54% and 60% of the UK deficit. It did not. The Holyrood government would not have chosen to spend much of the cost charged to it by the UK government. In a normal, independent country Scotland would not have chosen to pay for the Trident nuclear weapon system, HS2, the new Hinkley Point C nuclear power station, London’s Crossrail etc. The list goes on; projects that are of no benefit whatsoever to the people of Scotland. The ‘deficit’ is the proportion of the UK’s much bigger deficit that is foisted upon Scotland.
    Maya Angelou

With the above logic, we in Orkney and Shetland should keep all our oil money up here, and now allow Holyrood to squander it on vanity projects that have no benefit to Orkney or Shetland. All that spending on motorways, Gaelic road signs, in fact, anything south of the Pentland Firth.

Quote Originally Posted by orkneycadian View Post
    With the above logic, we in Orkney and Shetland should keep all our oil money up here, and now allow Holyrood to squander it on vanity projects that have no benefit to Orkney or Shetland. All that spending on motorways, Gaelic road signs, in fact, anything south of the Pentland Firth.
    Last time I looked Orkney and Shetland were part of the country that is Scotland and have been so since 1472.
    Maya Angelou

Quote Originally Posted by Gronnuck View Post
    Last time I looked Orkney and Shetland were part of the country that is Scotland and have been so since 1472.
    Nothing to stop them going for a referendum to become independent once again though is there, if the will of the people say so?
    There is no grounds for anyone to object.
    W.A.T.P.

Indeed not, MI16. We are constantly told that we should not be ruled by people in a big city way down intje south east, and that we should be free to run ourselves. And last time I looked, Scotland was part of what it's known as the UK and had been so since 1707.