Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Poor Showing at Car boot held at the former South School

Default Poor Showing at Car boot held at the former South School

As someone who likes visiting car boots and having a rummage I prefer to go when it is less crowded. I went to the Car Boot / Table Sale Sun 27th Aug, 12pm, (the former) South School sale at just after 2 o'clock, went into the main hall, was looking forward to seeing the 30+ tables contents. What a very poor showing as there where very few tables with items for sale (but lots of empty tables in the main hall). There where also a few people packing up. I thought the sale was on till 3 0' clock as per previous advertising, obviously there a mistake in the advertising the sale must have ended at 2 o' clock or earlier. I wish that car boot advertisers in Caithness would make it clear when the sales actually end. I have noticed that the same thing happens at other car boot sales in Caithness they advertise a 3 hour event, but after an 1 hour many of the table sellers pack up and go home. This attitude must put a lot of people like myself off going to the sales.

I agree but you must remember that at some CAR BOOT SALES it can take an age to get all the cars out from the Hall as the doors are quite narrow.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

The stallholders are not prisoners. They can go home any time they like and that's likely to be when the trade slows down.

Go at the start.

Quote Originally Posted by sids View Post
    The stallholders are not prisoners. They can go home any time they like and that's likely to be when the trade slows down.

Go at the start.
    I must Fully apologise for this it was very irresponsible of the member of staff who left the doors unlocked and didn't stop the sellers escaping

CASH POINT AUCTION & SALES
    Auctions - Furniture Sales - House Clearance- We Buy and Sell Gold & Silver
    ROXBURGH ROAD , WICK, KW1 5HP, 01955-928008

handcuff to the tables

Perhaps if you ask the man nicely he will let you have a sneak preview before the crowds get there. most people get there early to get the bargains. I made £47 not bad for 2 hours. it started at 12noon not gone 2pm you would have seen 30+ tables if you had gone earlier show me a better boot sale in caithness because I have been to them all and I have not seen one

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
    I agree but you must remember that at some CAR BOOT SALES it can take an age to get all the cars out from the Hall as the doors are quite narrow.
    I found this very confusing when I moved up here as where I come from a car boot sale is held outside with items in open car boots and a table top sale is inside with items on tables. Why is a table top sale here described as a car boot sale?
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    I found this very confusing when I moved up here as where I come from a car boot sale is held outside with items in open car boots and a table top sale is inside with items on tables. Why is a table top sale here described as a car boot sale?
    I love to watch the antiques shows. I have yet to watch any car boot sales where the stuff is actually sold and displayed from a car boot, they are seem to have tables to display their items and most boot sales include indoor and open air tables. I have never seen an antiques style programme visit a table top sale.

As such I think it is described as it is anywhere else in the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Dennis View Post
    I love to watch the antiques shows. I have yet to watch any car boot sales where the stuff is actually sold and displayed from a car boot, they are seem to have tables to display their items and most boot sales include indoor and open air tables. I have never seen an antiques style programme visit a table top sale.

As such I think it is described as it is anywhere else in the country.
    I'm not talking about tv shows but real life car boot sales in fields, maybe some with tables but not all.

I somehow doubt the likes or Bargain Hunt makes up entire car boot sales just for the show.

I have been to many many car boot sales all over Scotland and England which take precisely the format I described. It would seem that your table top sales are more out of place. Each ti their own I guess.

Basically...

Car Boot Sales are trendy... We don't have the weather up here for a Car Boot Sale so just call your Table Top Sale a Car Boot Sale in order to sound trendy.
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Alrock View Post
    Basically...

Car Boot Sales are trendy... We don't have the weather up here for a Car Boot Sale so just call your Table Top Sale a Car Boot Sale in order to sound trendy.
    Thanks. Makes more sense than the previous post!