Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Film showing the Far North Line in 1964

Default Film showing the Far North Line in 1964

Apologies if this film has been the subject of a previous thread. I did search and couldn't find anything but I'm happy to have the thread deleted if everyone has seen it. The film is called "Ride the Far North Line (of Scotland) in 1964".

It’s a ‘thing ‘of interest’.
    Did travel from London to Wick in I think 68/69.
    When you sat on the seats, a Plume of dust rose to the Heavens! Dirty!

I enjoyed watching that and a trip on the train South is still on my bucket list. I got excited with the old Morris 1000 post vans, ( wish I could afford one now) Thank you for posting.
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

I so enjoyed watching it- thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Milkins View Post
    I got excited with the old Morris 1000 post vans, ( wish I could afford one now) Thank you for posting.
    Aye, I really enjoyed seeing them too.

Thoroughly enjoyed watching this . At any moment I half expected the Titfield Thunderbolt to appear on the platform along with all that wonderful cast.

Thank you for posting.

At the times that the film was made (1964), there was a real risk that the line would be closed, as many other lines had been. It is fortunate that the line was kept open.

Interesting movie that would have been more enjoyable if the narrator had known how to pronounce all the place names along the way. I cringed many times, particularly in Caithness.

The rolling stock doesn’t look very different from today’s versions!
    Last edited by aqua; 01-Jun-20 at 12:20.

Fascinating. Must send to a rail enthusiast friend in London who will sadly never make this journey now. Long time since I did it.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.