Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caithness FM

Default Caithness FM

Whats happening at Caithness FM that they are now broadcasting on 96.7 as well as 102.5? An attempt to double the number of listeners, of that grounds that one of them has a radio that wont tune higher than 99 and a bit?

Your spoiling us over here in Orkney now - 2 frequencies to pick from!

So who is behind this transmitter, as it doesn't seem to be MFR or Caithness FM, as they are still only stating "One Oh Two Point Five"

By twiddling the aerial on top of the Roberts radio, the signal seems to be coming from the Wick area.

Bloody pile of tosh that it is too.

Quote Originally Posted by orkneycadian View Post
    So who is behind this transmitter, as it doesn't seem to be MFR or Caithness FM, as they are still only stating "One Oh Two Point Five"

By twiddling the aerial on top of the Roberts radio, the signal seems to be coming from the Wick area.
    Caithness FM are on their own now and not connected to mfr
    Live for today as tomorrow may never come

Were they ever connected?

Other than taking over the transmitter at Ben Dorrery ay 7pm each evening, and 2pm on a Saturday, there was never any connection before.

From a quick check tonight, Caithness FM are still broadcasting on MFR's frequency of 102.5, as well as the old Kinnaird Radio (Fraserburgh) frequency of 96.7

Meanwhile, MFR are doing their usual thing on 97.4 and 102.8

Reception on either of these frequencies is awful where I live. Can you get Caithness FM via an internet speaker. i.e. an Echo Dot for example?

Quote Originally Posted by jimag View Post
    Reception on either of these frequencies is awful where I live. Can you get Caithness FM via an internet speaker. i.e. an Echo Dot for example?
    Lucky you, god awful radio station.
    W.A.T.P.

Nah, they are not that sophisticated. They cant even run a website. According to their schedules tab on http://www.caithnessfm.co.uk/schedule/tue.htm, last night, Davie Sinclair presented "Artics Solid Gold" at 10pm and tonight, from 10 till 11, we have Frank Charlton.

You can't get Caithness FM in Caithness? What kind of aerial are you using?

I get it perfectly in wick
    Live for today as tomorrow may never come

Is that, Fran, on the official frequency of 102.5, or the apparently illicit frequency of 96.7? Or as Johnnie Polson of Swinging Radio Caithness would say, "An inch and a half from 'e right o 'e dial, or about half way up 'e dial?"

Fond memories o’ Johnnie Polson!

Johnnie Polson is still alive and well, and still does a bit of broadcasting across 'e hills and moors o Caithness. I think he lives up the Newton Row area of Wick these days.

Another frequency for us? 106.5 (or for Fran, "Gey weel ower til 'e right") So thats the official frequencies of 102.5 and 106.5 and the unofficial one in Wick of 96.7 At this rate, there's going to be no room left for the BBC! Jingles are going to start sounding like Radio 1 in the seventies - "Two seven five, two eight five, and ster-eo Vee Hitch Eff!"

There are a few around, but none around who can equal the man who said these words as he was going to a dance in ???..........
    We’ a packet o’ fags, a half bottle and a tube o’ midgie repellant!
    He was a Farmer in Morayshire I think!
    Last edited by The Horseman; 11-Jan-20 at 22:49.

I think the dance was in Achiltibuie. I mind it well. Well, the first half of it at least

I think the dance was in Achiltibuie. I mind it well. Well, the first half of it at least
    Aye....Achiltibuie....was there a couple of years ago! Not much action.

Went to Braemore one nite.........oh dear!
    Last edited by The Horseman; 12-Jan-20 at 04:10.

Whats happening at Caithness FM that they are now broadcasting on 96.7 as well as 102.5? An attempt to double the number of listeners, of that grounds that one of them has a radio that wont tune higher than 99 and a bit?

Your spoiling us over here in Orkney now - 2 frequencies to pick from!
    Aha, so a bit of Googling and its becoming clearer - Well, easier to speculate at least! So it seems that from Tuesday next week, Caithness FM are licenced for 106.5 from the existing transmitter site near Halkirk. MFR meanwhile retain the licence for 102.5, also near Halkirk. 96.7 is a licenced frequency for MFR at the garage (scrap merchant?) at Newton Row near Wick. So not Johnnie Polson doing a bit of piracy after all. But as an MFR transmitter, and not a Caithness FM one, then that explains why CFM are not publicising 96.7 for Wick, and have only started publicising 106.5, at present in addition to 102.5

So can we speculate that as of next week, Caithness FM will only be transmitting on 106.5? Whilst 102.5 and 96.7 remains as MFR, even when Caithness FM are transmitting? If so, it will give 'e Weekers a reprieve from Modren (sic) Country in an evening, when instead you can listen on to MFR!

I would look up the Caithness FM website for updates, but that's still telling me that Terry Clarke presents a show on Saturday afternoon.....

So the seem to be using their new frequency wisely. 6 pm on a Sunday and they break into the top 40!

Its a good job 102.5 is still around for easy retuning back to the top 40 again. Interrupting the Sunday afternoon / evening top 40? That borders on blasphemy doesn't it?

Wonder how their listenership will fare now that a decent local radio alternative is available

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast