I have a few ‘s’ words of my own for Caithness- both for the place and the people. ‘Stunning’, ‘stupendous’, ‘superb’ are three that will do for starters though I’m sure I could easily think of more.
I feel really sorry for you, 2little2late! Even your title says it all really. Maybe you just need to get out a bit more and open your eyes and look about you. I would suggest a trip up to Duncansby Head. Go and walk along the cliffs, look at the views, the birds, the fantastic wildflowers. Direct your gaze below the lighthouse and maybe you’ll see orca swimming below- they are about up there. As wildlife experiences go, it does not get any better than that and name me one other place (in Scotland or elsewhere) where you can reliably see something like that and not pay one penny for the privilege.
Ok, so maybe you’re not talking about landscape, wildlife or scenery but Caithness people. Open your eyes and ears and your closed mind! Buy a ‘Groat’ or a ‘Courier’ and you’ll find stories in there of remarkable people doing remarkable things, going the second mile for others and making a difference. Better than that, just speak to your neighbours and you may find that they are the people doing just that. Caithness is full of folk being kind and helpful to others- you just have to look.
At the end of the day, you just get one crack at this life. If you want to go through it seeing nothing but badness, negativity and the ‘s’ word that you have applied then that is what you will no doubt find and maybe you are finding it so because you yourself are not bothering or giving anything back.