Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Night time play...

Quote Originally Posted by Deemac View Post
    Great shots everyone. Love the light and clouds in your first shot Raven near the bridge. Fabulous. (did you get the bus this time?)
    No I didnt get a bus... BUT I got the gritter with its bobbing lights.... which I thought made an excellent light effect

Talking

So you do like snowploughs/gritters ...

Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    No I didnt get a bus... BUT I got the gritter with its bobbing lights.... which I thought made an excellent light effect
    Things that go bump in the night generally have been influenced by a Siamese

Quote Originally Posted by psyberyeti View Post
    So you do like snowploughs/gritters ...
    Oh you are a spindoctor psyber....

Talking

and would you believe it ... that same snowplough came by in the dark tonight...

Quote Originally Posted by psyberyeti View Post
    and would you believe it ... that same snowplough came by in the dark tonight...
    Ahhhh, now we are talking! I believe that this photo will come and hunt me beyond the grave....

Thurso from Scrabster

Smile Playing at night ...

My first photo of Thurso bridge

Going off to watch Mars robots.

Hi Raven,

Wonderful set of nightime photos. I'm new to photography and was wondering what filter you are using, and how you ensure good focus in such poor light.

I'd post some of my own attempts, but I have not worked that out yet.

9. Default

Aha Psyber,you've joined the bridge club.Nice one.oh btw i really liked the frozen milk one.

NOt too bad for a first attempt psyberyeti!

Quote Originally Posted by Karmann View Post
    Hi Raven,

Wonderful set of nightime photos. I'm new to photography and was wondering what filter you are using, and how you ensure good focus in such poor light.

No filters involved here Karmann, its just a little bit of practise. If you are new to photography, why dont you come along to http://www.thursocameraclub.co.uk/ lots of likeminded folk there

11. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Karmann View Post
    Hi Raven,

Its actually easy to focus on lights because if your out of focus the lights look larger,as you focus in the lights get smaller until you see them getting bigger again which means you have gone past your focus point,then focus back until you see them getting pin sharp again
    and that should be you perfectly focused.
    Thats how i do it for astrophotography and lights are exactly the same principle.

As for the starburst effect,if you shoot using a high F number(small aperture) and good focus you will get lovely starbursts,open the aperture up(low F number) you wont get lovely starbursts.

The number of points you get depends on the number of blades on the diaphragm.
    6 blades=6points and if you have an odd number of blades you get twice as many
    7=14 points,9=18.
    Hope that helps a little.
    Last edited by Mystical Potato Head; 08-Jan-09 at 18:48.

Thanks guys.

I was out again tonight and noticed what you said about the difference using a small or large aperture makes. I took some photos of the bridge which have a nice 14 point starburst. Unfortunately, I hadn't read your post and the focus still leaves a bit to be desired, but at least now I know where I'm going.

I couldn't quite put my finger on what was so good about Raven's photo of the bridge, but on reflection (pardon the pun) it's because it seems to be taken at the turn of the tide and there is no flow under the bridge.

Still not sure how to post photos. I'd appreciate it if anyone could help. I seem to be getting direct to a website, rather than my hard disk.

Deep in Western Australia Aug 2008 - no filters used here btw....

Your vision will become clear
    Only when you look into your heart ....
    Who looks outside, dreams..
    Who looks inside, awakens.

14. Default

Try Photobucket..... http://photobucket.com/
    Just open an account which is free.On the main page you will see upload images.
    Just below to the right it says,choose files.click on that and that will open up files on your hard drive,just navigate to where your photos are and click on the one you want and it will upload it for you.
    When completed just move mouse over the image and a drop down menu will appear.left click on it and you will see copied appear.
    Then go to the forum and paste your image to your thread.
    Last edited by Mystical Potato Head; 08-Jan-09 at 23:43.

15. Default

Lovely pastel colours there daviddd,must have been a real hardship taking photos in Oz.

16. Default

Scrabster from the hill.

The Hamnavoe Stromness Bound.

Over the pond, but not quite over the hill yet

Those are beautiful, MPH! I especially like the first one!

18. Default

Thanks Sporran,not sure if this next 2 should be here or in the Departed thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystical Potato Head View Post
    Lovely pastel colours there daviddd,must have been a real hardship taking photos in Oz.
    An amateur like me can hardly go wrong in Oz - so many interesting subjects and beautiful light...
    Your vision will become clear
    Only when you look into your heart ....
    Who looks outside, dreams..
    Who looks inside, awakens.

Great photos everyone. Nice thread too.

Here's a selection of my efforts taken Friday night (09/01/2009).

3 of Scrabster Harbour and one of good old Thurso Bridge.

All the world's a stage and we are merely players . . . . .
    For more visit: http://www.studiograff-photo.co.uk

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast