Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trashed toilets in Wick.

Default Trashed toilets in Wick.

Anyone in Caithness for ‘increased enforcement’ of the ASBO situation.
    Wick toilets the latest.

We could take a leaf out of Switzerland or America or any number of countries' book by introducing a curfew for all teenagers. That will sort the problem of anti-social behaviour straight away but unfortunately it will affect the innocent teenagers. Switzerland had enough and introduced it in Interlaken after the under-age drinking, noise and behaviour got out of control. Now no-one under the age of 16 is allowed out on the streets after 10pm unless accompanied by their parents. Judging by the nutjobs in Wick though it would be better set at 6pm...or at the least when darkness falls.

What do all the parents under 16 do?

That's obvious, they need to be accompanied by the grandparents

Innocent teenagers would not be tarred with the same brush if the liberal social experiment was finally brought to a close. The birch, compulsory labour to repair the damage, and confiscation of assets to twice the value of the damage would ensure that lessons were learnt.

Quote Originally Posted by orkneycadian View Post
    Innocent teenagers would not be tarred with the same brush if the liberal social experiment was finally brought to a close. The birch, compulsory labour to repair the damage, and confiscation of assets to twice the value of the damage would ensure that lessons were learnt.
    Id doubt if a teenager would have assets to the value of twice the cost of the damages
    W.A.T.P.

It'll never cover the cost, but will hit home as a disincentive to do that again. After a hard day working to repair the damage, they won't think much of them coming home to no smartphone, no 40 tv in the bedroom, no games console, no laptop. And if they are old enough, no car. The value won't pay for the damage, but it might act as a deterrant.

Default Caithness and the slippery slope.

Sadly, I am afraid that Caithness is changing and not for the better.

Enforcing an ASBO seems like a good idea along with all the other suggestions, however when the powers that be (ScotGov) will not provide enough "enforcers" then how can anything be enforced.

There is simply no intention or interest from our representative to at least maintain a good standard of living for those living north of Golspie.

If you wish to flout the law then Caithness is probably the easiest place to do it in the UK.

May be the solution will have to be that the toilets are locked at nightfall.

First the Council and the Police, have to change the ‘culture’ of allowing drunkenness on the streets.
    When will someone go to Willie Mackay, and the Officer in charge of the Police and demand that something be done.
    Willie Mackay got his picture taken, staged at the toilets. So now he has to take responsibility! Let the police lock a few up...the message will soon get around! Go to the Groat and make public demands that something be done.
    Agreed??

I do find it interesting, that modern day youth have all sorts of School activities and support, when we had none other than ‘mucking the Byre’ and playing with old tractors and cars, and we didn’t have time to damage things. C’est la vie.
    Last edited by The Horseman; 22-Feb-20 at 21:47.

MMM maybe some of the perpetrators are not from Wick

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    We could take a leaf out of Switzerland or America or any number of countries' book by introducing a curfew for all teenagers. That will sort the problem of anti-social behaviour straight away but unfortunately it will affect the innocent teenagers. Switzerland had enough and introduced it in Interlaken after the under-age drinking, noise and behaviour got out of control. Now no-one under the age of 16 is allowed out on the streets after 10pm unless accompanied by their parents. Judging by the nutjobs in Wick though it would be better set at 6pm...or at the least when darkness falls.
    Oedipus was the first man to plug the generation gap

Does it matter where they are from!
    People should not be allowed to wander the streets....Drunk and disorderly!
    No one seems to want to complain about it.
    How about contacting Mathew Reiss the ex local Police Officer?

Does anyone know when the trashed toilets will re-open so we can collect our free bog rolls?

I see ‘Street Pastors in Thurso. Good luck to them! Maybe your wish will come thru...

I also see that ‘enhanced’ CCTV will be be used to stamp out ‘Vandalism’!
    Who is going to view 20 simultaneous cameras. And if they are viewed after the fact, for every hour of video, it takes an hour to view them. A very time consuming situation.
    Yes, this works in large cities where cameras are monitored live, but throwing money at the problem like this may not have the outcome as expected. And the amount of money required for cameras and transmission. Ohhhh.
    Arrest the Drunks on the Streets.

Quote Originally Posted by The Horseman View Post
    I also see that ‘enhanced’ CCTV will be be used to stamp out ‘Vandalism’!
    Who is going to view 20 simultaneous cameras. And if they are viewed after the fact, for every hour of video, it takes an hour to view them. A very time consuming situation.
    Yes, this works in large cities where cameras are monitored live, but throwing money at the problem like this may not have the outcome as expected. And the amount of money required for cameras and transmission. Ohhhh.
    Arrest the Drunks on the Streets.
    You don't need to view them, but they gather information to be looked at when required. They also have zone monitors on them that detect movement, so you only need to view bits that are highlighted in red.
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

Yup. Been there/Done that. Not so simple, but perhaps the deterrent value!
    What dismays me is the rampant drunkenness on the Streets of Wick and Thurso!
    Last time I was I was in Thurso on a Friday afternoon, people had to cross the Street from the Bar where the coffee shop is on the corner, as there were so many men literally falling down. I asked why and was told there was a ‘fitba’ match on I think in Glasgow!
    In Wick a few days later, the same situation at about 6pm near the Square where ‘Spoon’ is located. They were breaking bottles on the walls.
    And in the Groat there was a pic of them actually drunk on the Street!
    How is allowed?
    I was born and brought up in Caithness. Yes we drank but never this!
    And on the very rare occasion that someone did something, we would feel the wrath of the Polis!
    Last edited by The Horseman; 05-Mar-20 at 17:38.

Alas, the polis have much better things to be doing these days. Hiding behind walls with a hairdryer looking to raise revenue for the Christmas night out, or, if its not a sunny day, staying nice and warm trawling the internet for someone who has been offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Milkins View Post
    You don't need to view them, but they gather information to be looked at when required. They also have zone monitors on them that detect movement, so you only need to view bits that are highlighted in red.
    Kevin,
    Wouldn't some enforcement of the probs I mentioned save the need for ‘expensive CCTV? Your on the Main Street! Are u OK with the shenanigans that goes on?

Quote Originally Posted by The Horseman View Post
    Kevin,
    Wouldn't some enforcement of the probs I mentioned save the need for ‘expensive CCTV? Your on the Main Street! Are u OK with the shenanigans that goes on?
    I don't get to see many drunk and disorderly people about the town because I am normally in my shop in day time hours, I have a CCTV system that I find invaluable for many reasons and think its good value for money for the town to be covered by a good system. If we knew exactly who is causing the damage about the town then something can be done to put a stop to it.
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Milkins View Post
    I don't get to see many drunk and disorderly people about the town because I am normally in my shop in day time hours, I have a CCTV system that I find invaluable for many reasons and think its good value for money for the town to be covered by a good system. If we knew exactly who is causing the damage about the town then something can be done to put a stop to it.
    It appears no one in Caithness, will outwardly condemn the drunkenness and ASBO. It is a know fact thought the World, that if Police ignore/do not enforce ‘Minor Crimes and Drunkenness’ on the Public Streets and Thoroughfares, this leads to more serious offences being committed. And thus it hath come to pass. I am not religious, but so apropos!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast