Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast

Thread: Big Gig 2008

*nods*

*smiles*

Zee? lol:
    Big Imagination For Feeling Young Cause Life Yearns Real Optimism

im a bit lost at whats going on at moment but here is whos currently on the list if all goes well.

nemesis
    no exit wound
    megawatt
    duress
    falter
    crimsontide
    the prolifics
    empty fortune
    saxifer
    the loosenotes

enjoy

in a house wi lights, but it is a light house

is that the order it's going to run in Dave??

& I'm guessing at a 12 (noon) start & about a 10pm close??

& I'm assuming you're aware of updates on the PA front.

awrabest

Cjnr

Whats the time slots looking to be like?

and yeah is that the running order?

Exclamation Set Times

that is the running order.

here are the times.

nemesis 2.00-2.35

no exit wound 2.45-3.20

duress 3.30-4.15

megawatt 4.25-5.10

falter 5.20-6.20

crimsontide 6.30-7.30

the prolifics 7.40-8.40

empty fortune 8.50-9.50

saxifer 10.00-11.00

the loosenotes 11.10- 11.55

Ten minute changeovers? A touch on the optimistic side I think, but good luck none the less, you'll need it.

Shame about the PA, but hopefully it sounds better this year

Quote Originally Posted by K dragon View Post
    that is the running order.

here are the times.

nemesis 2.00-2.35

no exit wound 2.45-3.20

duress 3.30-4.15

megawatt 4.25-5.10

falter 5.20-6.20

crimsontide 6.30-7.30

the prolifics 7.40-8.40

empty fortune 8.50-9.50

saxifer 10.00-11.00

the loosenotes 11.10- 11.55

Is it me or is the line up the wrong way round, with the exception of Crimson Tide who should be rounding the gig off as they are probably the most travelled and the most talented, but maybe there is method in the line up that escapes most, so with this in mind the end of the night can be line danced and headbanged away by an interesting crowd, I hope???

everyone seems to complain about the radio rentals pa system thanks should go out to the guys who put it together as it is not easy coming up with a 10k plus pa system in caithness
    and getting all the gear to work together so praise should be given to dave,issac and sparky who put your radio rentals system together

That was the problem... it didn't work. Hopefully they can get together before the gig and try to iron out any faults. I'm sure they'd all benefit from that

Good luck.

Two of Sparkies speaker burned out but, apart from that, it worked. What would be the point of a more powerful system when the Police complain about the noise. It was with great reluctance that we agreed to do the PA this year, but if we had not, the gig would have been cancelled because no other PA could be found in the Highlands and to go further afield would have been too expensive.
    The proposed running order is ridiculous but only K.Dragon knows why. Duress, according to one of its members, is defunct. as is Nemesis. Perhaps they are staying together for the gig. The headliners can't pull a crowd in the Orange Room and they had top spots last year.
    Screw the nut MR. Dragon!!!!!
    In the image of God? You must be joking!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeid View Post
    That was the problem... it didn't work. Hopefully they can get together before the gig and try to iron out any faults. I'm sure they'd all benefit from that

Good luck.
    The feedback I got at the Big Gig was nothing but positive. The organisers via kdragon told me to limit the volume. What were your issues? You have left them very late in the day to flag up, especially as I was in personal contact with you thanking you for your help soon after last years event. If small bands like yourselves could pull the crowds to warrant it, money could invested in purchasing matched high powered sound reinforcement. Many days of work prior to last years effort went into having a system prepared to sound remarkably good and work flawlessly as I believe it did. I can understand although not accept a prima donna attitude from artists whose name pulls countless thousands to large commercial festivals around our islands, but let us not forget, The Big Gig is a charity event in a small rural town and support each other in putting on a successful and enjoyable event on a very tight budget.

Thanks for your comment Phil Moonbeam.
    Last edited by stratman; 03-Jun-08 at 15:10.
    They break our legs and we say "thank you" when they offer us crutches!!!

Please check the request for constructive feedback from Camara (who received nothing) a few posts above the silent Jeid. Also the positive comments from experienced musicians Doc Rock and Killarifts. Based on this feedback I was lead to believe that our work was well received last year. Why raise issues now?

http://forum.caithness.org/showthrea...t=30418&page=3
    Last edited by stratman; 03-Jun-08 at 17:00.
    They break our legs and we say "thank you" when they offer us crutches!!!

Default big gig

nice one gleeber 2 it could do with a more varied lineup like the fats band . comunique or the howlin gaels to play to give it a lineup to please everyone not just the chosen few who think they run the music scene some of the old hasbeens as they have been called have forgotten more than these young pups could ever learn

Thumbs down

these young pups played for free.

gales were asked last year.

the phats band has never come forward to play,

and last year they played in the new market, when big gig was on.

there is far too much tension, animosity and downright aggressive critiscm going on.

can we all just remember this is for charity.

you forget the older groups were young too.

everybody has to start somewhere.

this is supposed to be about FUN, MUSIC, ENJOYMENT,

a chance for a musical community to come together and SUPPORT each other.

there has been no favouritism in selection THOSE are the bands who came FORWARD, and requested to play.

regardless of comments the set list is what it is.

the sound is what it is.

nothing is going to change. so lets just enjoy the day when it comes.

and im sorry to all the groups for the lack of support, and to stratman because they did a fantastic job last year and will continue to do so im sure.

you have my complete and under faith and trust in this matter.

i personally look forward to the day, to hear the talent, and have a good time, although i will be working on site as hard as i possibly can, because these guys will do their part to the best of their abilities, which is fantastic and amazing for a small community.

Here here to that! Lets not forget a congrats to yourself for organising all this on your lonesome self! Catch up soon this week or next?

I actually meant to reply to Camra about said PA, but never got round to it... my bad.

Anyway, from what I remember... the vocals were farting... a lot. The monitor mix was non-existent. When I was out front, I could've picked out a number of faults, but who am I to criticise right? I'm just a young musician.

Like I said, good luck this year. Hopefully it pulls together a bit better.

As for the line-up... it baffles me a bit tbh. I thought that Nemesis, Duress and Empty Fortune had split up? Perhaps not...

Quote Originally Posted by Jeid View Post
    Empty Fortune had split up? Perhaps not...
    Naw, just the money making side of it had a lovers tiff which was thankfully resolved in time to put ourselves forward for this years gig.

Anyone got mayonnaise?

Duress aren't split up either, its just impossible for us all to get a day off work at the same time on the same weekend.

Having read my post back to myself... I should clarify what I've said.

By no means is it intended to poke fun at the people who organised the PA. Apologies if it's come across that way. I appreciate that a great deal of time and effort went into sorting out the PA for the Big Gig last year. Kudos to you.

The Doc and Killarifts played on the Saturday, perhaps their sound was a bit/lot better than when we played on the Friday night? By no means am I an expert in sound, but I can be pretty sure about what sounds good and what doesn't sound good(of course... opinions etc etc). I'm also highly confident that I'm not the only person who thought that the sound could've been better, but not everyone is outspoken, so we have to respect that. It's not an easy task and I'm sure everyone appreciates your effort. Again... good luck this year. Hope things run smoothly.

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast