Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus

Quote Originally Posted by The Horseman View Post
    There is no ‘World Wide’ standard for how to classify if a death is caused by The Virus.....so one gets ‘uneven stats’!

I agree. I've heard several stories about family members being told their relative (usually elderly) died of the virus, but when questioned further, it is admitted they probably didn't. I don't know why this is happening, but it appears to be pretty common. Is it just laziness, or is there an ulterior motive behind it?

Just watching the Downing Street breifing... Have I got this right...

If I'm an essential worker who needs a test & am entitled to one I would have to drive all the way down to Aberdeen to get one?
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Alrock View Post

If I'm an essential worker who needs a test & am entitled to one I would have to drive all the way down to Aberdeen to get one?

From my reading, I think you have it spot on. Anything north of the Great Glen just doesnt exist.

Corky, Shabbychic - I enjoy your banter and political posts so apologies for the David Cameron nudge' !

Alrock - you could wait for a postal one, but they seem to be oversubscribed, probably everyone will want one.

I will hang on and see if the antibody test is any good, previous tests didn't look great for false positive/negatives.

And even if I'd had it before there's a possibility I could get it again....

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Howie View Post
    Shabbychic - I enjoy your banter and political posts so apologies for the David Cameron nudge' !

Oh my, a wannabe Mach? Who's deviating now, m'lud? And I believe it's more a Dickie Thaler Nudge, but alas, the Russians were already long gone with their Irn Bru haul.

Quote Originally Posted by Alrock View Post

This has just come up on the Scottish Government website. It states, further down the page, that there are home test kits for those who can't get to a centre.

More reports of covid-19 causing stroke and heart problems

https://www.boston.com/news/coronavi...vid-19-strokes

On average the covid-19 stroke patients were 15 years younger than stroke patients without the virus.

“These are people among the least likely statistically to have a stroke,” Mocco said.

Mocco, who has spent his career studying stroke and how to treat it, said he was “completely shocked” by the analysis. He noted the link between covid-19 and stroke “is one of the clearest and most profound correlations I’ve come across.”

“This is much too powerful of a signal to be chance or happenstance,” Mocco said.

But more positively:

Frontline health workers at a UK hospital have become the first in the country to be widely kitted out with a pioneering respirator hood when treating Covid-19 patients.

The PeRSo device consists of a fabric hood with a plastic visor to protect the face. It delivers clean air through a High Efficiency Particulate Air (Hepa) filter using a fan mounted on the wearer's belt.
    https://www.standard.co.uk/news/heal...-a4421611.html

and filtering out 99.95% is better than the N95 mask only doing 95% I suppose

For the earlier posts on the mortality rates you really need to have a look at this -

36,000 Missing Deaths:Tracking the True Toll of the Coronavirus Crisis

from the New York Times

But the total death numbers offer a more complete portrait of the pandemic, experts say, especially because most countries report only those Covid-19 deaths that occur in hospitals.

“Whatever number is reported on a given day is going to be a gross underestimate,” said Tim Riffe, a demographer at the Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research in Germany.

Maybe so but I personally know of two sad deaths in the last 3 weeks in which both people had very serious underlying health conditions, both with history of respiratory illness and pneumonia, one on oxygen for most of last year. He had been told he was at risk of dying before Covid struck. They were both in complete lock down and one had tested negative just before she passed. Covid 19 was 'mentioned' on the death certificates of both of them.

I'm very sorry to read that,

As the Prime Minister has announced today we are past the peak, I will post some other good news.

From Gizmodo

Some recovered covid-19 patients who again tested positive for the coronavirus likely weren’t reinfected after all. On Thursday, South Korean officials stated that there’s no evidence currently that the virus is reinfecting people in the country, and the test results that suggested reinfection were likely false positives finding dead virus particles.

If correct it's great news, and that the UK can roll on with antibody tests

Just a little something to raise a smile during these difficult times.

I came across a couple of videos from the U.S. in which doctors explain that what they are seeing in patients with Covid19 is not always what they would expect to see. They are mystified by this phenomenon and express doubts over current treatment protocols. All rather worrying!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp5RMutCNoI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yrCjsaZKg8

I think it is interesting that Rowland Kao, epidemiology Prof at Edinburgh University thinks that there is an element of herd immunity now working in London where there has been a marked drop off in the number of new infections. In Scotland, which probably 'got' the virus later, the 'R' number is still thought to be too high and hasn't happened here yet.

It's about time that a proper antibody test was rolled out.

Also if it' still not clear if people can be re-infected with coronavirus then find some volunteers and try it....?

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Howie View Post
    It's about time that a proper antibody test was rolled out.

Also if it' still not clear if people can be re-infected with coronavirus then find some volunteers and try it....?
    It's about time that a proper Government was rolled out.

"Also if it' still not clear if people can be re-infected with coronavirus then find some volunteers and try it....?"
    Yes Bonkers Boris & Big Ears
    Michael Stone is innocent.
    Convicted without any forensic evidence and failed to be picked at any ID parade
    So who did kill Lin & Megan Russell
    http://www.michaelstone.co.uk/

For the half dozen or so who may not have seen Andrew Cotter's latest video featuring his dogs, Mabel and Olive, whilst they are all at home here is the link.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1259931151403290624

It's wonderful.
    Last edited by Corky Smeek; 12-May-20 at 12:31.

Halsary wind farm
    Why has construction work on this site resumed, it seems, at full capacity when it has been stated again (only today) that people in Scotland are being told to stay at home and are not being told to return to work?