Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ricco rides for charity

Default Ricco rides for charity

Well, I've been rather hasty ad taken the plunge to sign up for a sponsored cycle ride for the Princes Trust. It starts at Buckingham Palace and finishes at Windsor Castle. Should be great fun. I have been in training for 3 weeks now - my latest is 33 miles in 2hours 20minutes.

I have checked with Niall before putting up this thread. Do have a look at the web site here and if you wish to sponsor me (just to see me in pain ) you can sponsor me here.

Please do think of me on Sunday morning - 16th - and wish me luck.
    "Step sideways, pause and study those around you. You will learn a great deal."

I certainly will be thinking of you Ricco -full of admiration for you.

But then I've never even managed to learn how to ride a bike!

Blackpool today..... who knows where tomorrow!

Way to go Ricco!
    Don't fret about the terrain - it's practically all flat as a pancake!

Me & Kerri did the Manchester to Blackpool bike ride in July - got our certificates with lots of pride & had a fantastic day!

At 62 miles, we did it in about 8 hours Although actual riding time was 4hr 21mins - not bad for a 46 yr old overweight lady & a 24 yr old who hadn't been on a bike in about 9 years! So funny, but she had a few blisters, mind!

Will sponsor you with pleasure.
    Julie.
    I wish I'd picked more daisies.........(anon)

I would like to thank jsherris and (I presume) Angela for their very kind donations and best wishes. I am full of admiration for jsherris having done the Blackpool/Manchester ride - a mean feat! I hope to complete miine in about 2-3 hours, no stops.

Oops, knew I'd forgotten something..... .....now, where's my wallet?

Don't worry, Ricco, I'm just a wee bit slow off the mark....

Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    Oops, knew I'd forgotten something..... .....now, where's my wallet?

Don't worry, Ricco, I'm just a wee bit slow off the mark....
    Sorry, Angela. It wasn't a dig. I had a donation from someone but didn't want to give out their real name. I assumed it was you... Mrs Ricco always says I assume too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricco View Post
    Sorry, Angela. It wasn't a dig. I had a donation from someone but didn't want to give out their real name. I assumed it was you... Mrs Ricco always says I assume too much.
    Ricco, no need to apologise at all, I'm sure it wasn't a dig, although in fact I needed one...well, at least a "reminder"!

I'd originally replied just to bump your post up so it wouldn't disappear....but had completely forgotten the "put hand in pocket" follow up I'd intended.

As I've mentioned on another thread, my memory's just dreadful these days!
    Last edited by Angela; 03-Sep-07 at 15:46. Reason: Looks as if my spelling's going along with my memory....

Well done Ricco,you brave,brave person.

My legs just ache from trecking up a hill today,never mind a cycle ride.lol
    Never judge someone until you have walked two moons in their moccasins.

Native American Indian saying.

Quote Originally Posted by cuddlepop View Post
    Well done Ricco,you brave,brave person.

My legs just ache from trecking up a hill today,never mind a cycle ride.lol
    Its the saddle that's giving me crossed eyes. Even with a gel saddle and padding. Still... no pain, no gain.

Its the saddle that's giving me crossed eyes. Even with a gel saddle and padding. Still... no pain, no gain.
    NO Ricco....... when it comes to cycling for guys... no pain... means numb! Numb means Mrs Ricco gets a week off!

Haha!
    Julie - a cyclers missus, fully conversant in the art of having a week off here & there!

Quote Originally Posted by jsherris View Post
    NO Ricco....... when it comes to cycling for guys... no pain... means numb! Numb means Mrs Ricco gets a week off!
    Very good, Julie. That brought a chuckle to my cheeks (facial ones, that is)

Just had a looky to check out your legs........
    Will log on again to donate once I find my purse with card ...............
    Good luck AB

Very good, Julie. That brought a chuckle to my cheeks (facial ones, that is)
    See... a true cyclist, you hear what I'm saying.

I'd like to thank everyone for their support in my efforts with this. I should be able to complete the distance in about 3 hours if I rush or I could be leisurely about it. I entered as a 'novice' but have become quite competitive with myself. This evening I averaged about 17mph. Hmmm... decisions.

Ricco, the terrain on your route is fairly tame & quite flat - saying that though, you can never guarantee the weather, or what if you should wake up in the morning full of a cold - you know what I mean - even with training and with the best of intentions, it's best to err on the side of caution.

Stay as a novice for this one - you can promote yourself afterwards & try some harder rides later - especially next year!
    Have you had a look at the Evans cycle website? They have some fantastic rides throughout the year, for competitors and leisure riders alike... well worth having a browse.

The worse thing for me & Kerri when we did our manchester to blackpool ride was when we were about 35 miles into it, we started seeing the pros cycling back to manchester! Totally soul destroying!
    Even more soul destroying is when himself pops his cycle gear on, climbs on his custom built ribble bike & says... 'just popping out for a quick 60'...Grrrrr!

Quote Originally Posted by jsherris View Post
    Ricco, the terrain on your route is fairly tame & quite flat - saying that though, you can never guarantee the weather, or what if you should wake up in the morning full of a cold - you know what I mean - even with training and with the best of intentions, it's best to err on the side of caution.

Stay as a novice for this one - you can promote yourself afterwards & try some harder rides later - especially next year!
    Have you had a look at the Evans cycle website? They have some fantastic rides throughout the year, for competitors and leisure riders alike... well worth having a browse.

The worse thing for me & Kerri when we did our manchester to blackpool ride was when we were about 35 miles into it, we started seeing the pros cycling back to manchester! Totally soul destroying!
    Even more soul destroying is when himself pops his cycle gear on, climbs on his custom built ribble bike & says... 'just popping out for a quick 60'...Grrrrr!
    Gosh, I know that feeling! Slim young ladies go sailing past with a cheery "Morning!" and then wave again on their way back. (wail!!)

Gosh, I know that feeling! Slim young ladies go sailing past with a cheery "Morning!" and then wave again on their way back. (wail!!)
    Makes you want to stick your leg out & kick 'em off their bikes, huh?
    Oh! Did I just type that out loud??

Have a great ride Ricco!

May all those gear thingies work smoothly, your feet fly and the handlebars never make the slightest contact with your chin.

hope you have an ice pack for your sore bits at the end and remember to use the back brakes before your front ones is you dont you end up eating the road!

Quote Originally Posted by Dadie View Post
    hope you have an ice pack for your sore bits at the end and remember to use the back brakes before your front ones is you dont you end up eating the road!
    Ooooo, Dadie. You saw that happen! Gosh, I came so close once.

Only two days to go - looking forward to it. Am having to get up at 5.00am to make sure I catch the train from Reading to Paddington.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast