Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Most anticipated album of 2008?

Aw right yeah. Twice nominated and once mercury prize winners, glastonbury headliners, fastest selling debut album, both albums in at number one, 4 number one singles.

Obviously rubbish then.

Yee tell them!

U'll be lookin' forward to the Oasis album this year aye?ha!

I canna think o anyone that'll be releasin' sutn...

Default What was yon song bout e spice girls?

Im holding out for The New Experience: Greatest Hits Anthology to come out. maybe we should start a poll to see if they should do a reunion tour?

Quote Originally Posted by foreveruntitled View Post
    Aw right yeah. Twice nominated and once mercury prize winners, glastonbury headliners, fastest selling debut album, both albums in at number one, 4 number one singles.

Obviously rubbish then.
    With all due respect, none of that actually means they are good, only that they are popular.
    "It makes my blood burn with metal energy..."

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    Remix & Remaster - 'And Justice For All' certainly, and Remaster 'Master Of Puppets' just to give it better sound....but REMIX it???..no freaking way!...that album is mixed perfectly, you don't mess with perfection.
    I wouldn't quite agree with that... but I'm a fussy sod

Quote Originally Posted by Metalattakk View Post
    With all due respect, none of that actually means they are good, only that they are popular.

With all due respect they are a good band i don't understand how you can say that they are not, obviously not your kind of thing doesn't make them rubish, for what they are , an indie band, they're about the best around just now you can't deny that fact.
    but anyway i'm looking forward to the vampire weekend album.
    Last edited by day old blues; 10-Jan-08 at 16:35.

I think The Arctic Monkeys are tripe... utter tripe. I listen to indie(unfortunately) every day at work, and yes, I can deny that "they're about the best around just now".

Franz Ferdinand, who I think are pretty rubbish, are a good indie band. At least they write catchy pop songs.

Quote Originally Posted by day old blues View Post
    With all due respect they are a good band i don't understand how you can say that they are not, obviously not your kind of thing doesn't make them rubish, for what they are , an indie band, they're about the best around just now you can't deny that fact.
    but anyway i'm looking forward to the vampire weekend album.
    I never said they were rubbish, or anything of the sort. I don't like them, you're right, though.

Define 'best' and 'good' please.
    "It makes my blood burn with metal energy..."

What do u think i mean when i describe a band as good there good at what they do, and there the best band around at their style of music. which is shown by what foreveruntitled has already said.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeid View Post
    I think The Arctic Monkeys are tripe... utter tripe. I listen to indie(unfortunately) every day at work, and yes, I can deny that "they're about the best around just now".

Franz Ferdinand, who I think are pretty rubbish, are a good indie band. At least they write catchy pop songs.
    so your trying to say that the arctic monkeys don't write catchy songs? they just get number ones by writing songs no one likes and aren't catchy? to me thats what makes a number one single or album it has catchy songs, doesn't make sense to me. but i do appologise i ment to say best band around just now of their style which is the dreaded "indie"
    Last edited by day old blues; 10-Jan-08 at 17:24.

Getting to number one means nothing to me tbh. Nothing at all. The charts are infested with crap music.

Having a number one record or single, does not mean a band are great, good or best.

That wasn't the point the point was you said they dont have catchy songs, they do and thats proven by this fact. i can't understand it really to think that they are not a good band. They are not your style of music thats clear to see but still u must be able to appriciate that they are a good band, for example acdc are a good classic rock band not my style but i know they are good. Westlife are a good pop group. Metalica are a good metal band. same goes for the arctic monkeys they are a good indie band. anyway end of debate i have work to attend.

Getting to number one means nothing to me tbh. Nothing at all. The charts are infested with crap music.

Having a number one record or single, does not mean a band are great, good or best.
    Usually charts = sales = a measurable barometer of popularity ? Sad fact of life. The question is how much influence the media has in convincing people of an acts supposed popularity : ie the subtle arts of propoganda. Franz Fernindand are not indie, they are a "pop" band who have engaged pop producers ( Girls ALoud / Sugababes etc ) to produce their new album. The Artic Monkeys are a rock n roll band you might not like the music ( thin guitars !! ) but lyrically they are of right now and are geezers, Oasis are officially a dad rock band !

Ive always hated how bands such as Oasis are catogerised as "Rock". To my ear they are not even close to rock. I would call them indie.

Quote Originally Posted by day old blues View Post
    That wasn't the point the point was you said they dont have catchy songs, they do and thats proven by this fact. i can't understand it really to think that they are not a good band. They are not your style of music thats clear to see but still u must be able to appriciate that they are a good band, for example acdc are a good classic rock band not my style but i know they are good. Westlife are a good pop group. Metalica are a good metal band. same goes for the arctic monkeys they are a good indie band. anyway end of debate i have work to attend.
    I'm afraid debates don't end that easily.

I actually don't think their songs are catchy. In fact, none of them stick in my head. There's a band called Scouting For Girls... you probably like them, and they have a very catchy song called "She's So Lovely". I can't remember anything written by the Arctic Monkeys. I really don't rate them as a band... and it's not because I don't like Indie. If I wanted to just be obtuse, I'd say it's all pish But I never. I don't rate the band. I don't think they do anything clever(see Muse for clever) I don't think they do anything catchy (see Franz Ferdinand) and I don't think they do anything original... see all the other indie bands in the UK right now.

Quote Originally Posted by the_big_mac View Post
    Ive always hated how bands such as Oasis are catogerised as "Rock". To my ear they are not even close to rock. I would call them indie.
    Pop/Dad rock

There's a band called Scouting For Girls... you probably like them
    Harsh! Probably the worst insult ive ever heard.

Arctic Monkeys are pish, but I certainly don't think any of the afore mentioned rock/metal bands do anything original. Quite the opposite. I would far rather listen to a new 'indie' release than any of the recycled cliché ridden trivium etc. Anyway, no art is truly original. But metal is no art.

Quote Originally Posted by ~~Tides~~ View Post
    Harsh! Probably the worst insult ive ever heard.

Arctic Monkeys are pish, but I certainly don't think any of the afore mentioned rock/metal bands do anything original. Quite the opposite. I would far rather listen to a new 'indie' release than any of the recycled cliché ridden trivium etc. Anyway, no art is truly original. But metal is no art.
    Oh you know me... Harsh.

Trivium are indeed recycled Metallica... one of the singles on the latest album even stole Hetfield's "woah yeah's". At least you agreed that the Arctic Monkey's were pish.

I think Metal is an art... but everyone has opinions.

What are you looking forward to this year?

no i don't like scouting for girls. sorry if it was ment to affend me then you failed. i'm not going to bother even trying to reason with you because obivously you can't appriciate differant styles of music as i do. as for the scouting for girls Comment again actualy my favourite bands are the cure, belle and sebastian, frank turner ( go on hes solo i know) and sunshine underground, so yeah very main stream don't you think, whos your favourite metal bands metalica? original don't you think?
    Last edited by day old blues; 10-Jan-08 at 23:11.

Actually, It wasn't meant to offend you. I never said that.

I do appreciate other types of music, if you had a look at my music folder on my computer, although mainly rock based, I like some industrial stuff, some electro pop, pop, acoustic.

I don't really bother tying myself down to one band that I really like, if I was forced into it, it'd be a pop rock band... Foo Fighters.

My favourite metal band? That kind of varies... Black Dahlia Murder... sometimes... Lamb Of God... sometimes... Metallica... sometimes. Original, yes they were.

Frank Turner... Seen him in Million Dead. Thought they were pretty average, although, he seems like an interesting character, you should get his DVD, looks good.

It's ok, I'm not going to try to reason with you. If you look at it, you like the Arctic Pap, and I don't... and at least I've given them a listen, listed reasons behind why I think they are rubbish and put some thought into it. Some of the other people on this thread have just written them off. You're just sticking up for them because you like them.

When the Arctic Monkeys reach 90million record sales... we can talk about them being "original"

Actually, It wasn't meant to offend you. I never said that.

I do appreciate other types of music, if you had a look at my music folder on my computer, although mainly rock based, I like some industrial stuff, some electro pop, pop, acoustic.

I don't really bother tying myself down to one band that I really like, if I was forced into it, it'd be a pop rock band... Foo Fighters.

My favourite metal band? That kind of varies... Black Dahlia Murder... sometimes... Lamb Of God... sometimes... Metallica... sometimes. Original, yes they were.

Frank Turner... Seen him in Million Dead. Thought they were pretty average, although, he seems like an interesting character, you should get his DVD, looks good.

It's ok, I'm not going to try to reason with you. If you look at it, you like the Arctic Pap, and I don't... and at least I've given them a listen, listed reasons behind why I think they are rubbish and put some thought into it. Some of the other people on this thread have just written them off. You're just sticking up for them because you like them.

When the Arctic Monkeys reach 90million record sales... we can talk about them being "original"
    Using your rational Jeid, then The Spice girls are up there with yer 90 million band ( Metillica I presume ) quite possibly Robbie Williams to !

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast