Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

View Poll Results: What Should Tesco Do With Their Carrier Bags?

Voters
214. You may not vote on this poll
  • Put them at the end of the checkouts so you can help yourself to as many as you want.

105 49.07%
  • Only give them out when you ask for one.

109 50.93%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tesco Carrier Bags Conundrum

Default Tesco Carrier Bags Conundrum

I've been asked by Nick Gellatly from Tesco to put up this poll to help them decide what to do with their carrier bags.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Gellatly, Tesco
    The new Tesco store in Wick (which opens on 27th November) is the company's first timber-framed environmental store and that means they're looking to do the right thing for the environment once the store opens too.

Since launching green Clubcard points a few weeks ago, Tesco customers are using 10 million fewer carrier bags every week across the UK. What do you think about carrier bags?

Should Tesco put them at the end of the checkouts so you can help yourself to as many as you want or only give them out when you ask for one? You're votes will make the decision for them.
    As usual, I'm sure your comments will be more than welcome...
    Last edited by Niall Fernie; 06-Oct-06 at 17:26.

If they are there, you tend to make no effort to ration use. If you ask for them you are thinking about what you are using and why they are not there.
    An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing

-I think ask for them as they are trying to promote green points so you will automaticly get them unless you ask for bags.

Do Tesco offer
    (a) re-usable cloth bags for a small charge, similar to the ones you can get at, for instance, M&S?
    (b) a bin into which you can place carrier bags for recycling, once you've built up such a collection of them you can't shut the cabinet door under the sink?

we should ask for them if we need them, then maybe we wouldnt see so many lying about on the streets

I think the idea of green bag points is good BUT there are so many other more damaging examples of excess packaging that need to be looked at if the scheme is not to be seen as a PR stunt.

Quote Originally Posted by George Brims View Post
    Do Tesco offer
    (a) re-usable cloth bags for a small charge, similar to the ones you can get at, for instance, M&S?
    (b) a bin into which you can place carrier bags for recycling, once you've built up such a collection of them you can't shut the cabinet door under the sink?
    George, Get a dog then you can use up your carrier bags as poo picker uppers!

Think it is about time I started up a shopping bag factory for all us green minded shoppers.

Everyone should be using lifetime bags anyway..... the cheep free ones just tear and you tend to use more for doubling up
    Live life to the full, you only get one chance so make it count
    dont be to happy coz someone sure to shoot you down

I think you should have to ask for them, however once the internet shopping is up and running in Jan I intend to shop on my computer - I can hardly wait!!!!

We reuse our bags as doggy poo bags, but I still think it would be better to have to ask for them, maybe they could have a stand somewhere in store for folks to pick up the free poo bags whilst in store
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

How about option 3? Charge 3p each for them. Aldi do this and it works, people use far fewer bags, and the majority buy the hard wearing reusable bags.

Cool Carrier bags or Not

If people were to ask for bags they would use fewer. I also think bags should always be free. People would rather pay a 1p more on some items than have to pay for each bag. I know it is a silly way of thinking but it is very true. The amount of people coming out of lidls carrying shopping in their arms is proof that they would do this rather than pay for a bag

I believe that they have 'outlawed' freebie bags in Eire. Does anyone know if this is having a positive impact?

Tesco also do the bag for life for 10p, if it breaks you get another one. I think this is sufficient, though I always hand in my carrier bags to the charity shops.

They certainly have stopped free carriers, instead I think you pay something like 10 or 15p for them, my aunty was over on holiday in july and went home with her case fill of old carriers that we didn't use. Why don't stores put out their old cartons for customers to use, mind years ago they used to have a stack in places like the coop and one box would do all your shopping. Then you just had to put it in the boot for your next trip!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bakerbhoy View Post
    They certainly have stopped free carriers, instead I think you pay something like 10 or 15p for them, my aunty was over on holiday in july and went home with her case fill of old carriers that we didn't use. Why don't stores put out their old cartons for customers to use, mind years ago they used to have a stack in places like the coop and one box would do all your shopping. Then you just had to put it in the boot for your next trip!!!
    Yep, I have a sturdy veg box from Lidls that is used to collect our paper for recycling during the week. Come the weekend, we take the full box to Lidls, recycle the papers in the bank there, and use our box for the shopping, and so the cycle begins again.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for conveniece (I use the free bags in the Co-Op/Somerfields), but when the option is taken away from me (Lidls), then I use the green option. So I'd say, no free bags at the checkout.
    WeeBurd.

Definately don't make carrier bags freely available - keep your bags for life and plenty of folding boxes in store at a permanently reasonable price and people will buy and use them instead. They're so useful for everyday use anyway and are easy to store in the back of the car for future visits.

Quote Originally Posted by George Brims View Post
    Do Tesco offer
    a)Like other supermarkets they have the bag for life scheme (you buy the first, when it breaks you can exchange free of charge for new).
    b) I have noticed collection bins for recycling bags outside of several tescos, including the one in Dingwall.
    An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing

I think they should go "the whole hog" and charge for the carriers. IKEA now offer the big blue bags for 25 pence and biodegradeable corn starch carriers for 10 pence - no more plastic bags from them. Hopefully, Tesco will soon follow suit. I'm sure it wouldn't take long for us all to get into the habit of taking re-usables when we go shopping.

The Irish introduced a European-style Bag Tax and there have been proposals to do the same in Scotland. I realise no one's said the T word here, yet, but there's an interesting counter-view from the Scottish Retail Consortium >>>here<<< (downloadable Word doc).

Assuming that the customer reaction to charging for bags by the shopkeeper is the same as reaction to paying a government tax, the effects of charging for bags on theft levels, and on sales of heavier-gauge (so more environmentally damaging) plastic bags, are interesting.

Mind you, if you can wrap it up in "saving the planet" language, people will become very irrational, very quickly. Personally, I'd much rather see additional charges levied on fast food sellers for clearing up the mess their customers make every weekend, and every lunchtime (when the kids are in school).

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast