Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Beatrice Windfarm money for the locaL community

Default Beatrice Windfarm money for the locaL community

I see the people building the Beatrice Windfarm are allocating £2,000,000 over a period of time for local community projects.
    Would anyone support a bid to re-open the Lybster School swimming pool.
    I think it is improtant for everyone to learn to swim, particularly youngsters and it is much easier to learn a new skill when young.
    I would also like to see it available for the general public, swimming is an excellent exercise for everyone, particularly those with arthritis, joint problems and breathing problems who can't jog or run, maybe not even walk for any distance. Swimming gently exercises all the muscles without the pressures caused by gravity.

I think some of the previous community projects have only benefitted a few but this would be available for the whole community to improve their fitness and health.

Sounds a good idea on face value. However a project like that would need a feasibility study as a means of securing money from the Beatrice fund. Beatrice will not give money to a cause unless it is fully costed and substantiated. To pay for a feasibility fund you could apply for funding through another smaller fund. There are funds around that are open to such ideas, you just need to know who to ask. In the end you need professional help to secure the money from both funds.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Rheghead, thank you for your reply, it was most helpful.
    However after over 300 viewings of my post you are the only one to reply so it would seem there is not much interest in reviving the Lybster School swimming pool and not even any other suggestions for using the fund.
    £2,000,000 is an awful lot of money, surely there must be some suggestions for its use.
    As there are so many new crofters in the local area, perhaps some courses to help them make the most of their land.
    Does anyone have any other suggestions?

£2,000,000 could fill in a lot of potholes.
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."

so long as they don't use those new fivers, too slippery

the new £1 coins would be good though, those edges could provide the required traction

Default Would something like this qualify?

There are a fair number of adults and young adults in Caithness with learning difficulties (I hope that is the correct pc term). There is very little in this area to offer interesting/stimulating things to occupy the day.

I know of a project in Hampshire that helps in similar circumstances. could/would something similar work up here?

http://www.boazproject.co.uk/

If opinion was that it could work, would it qualify for funding?

The Hampshire project is self funding now it is established. Could offer employment to young crofters to run facility.

Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    so long as they don't use those new fivers, too slippery

the new £1 coins would be good though, those edges could provide the required traction
    nah, knowing the forgers, they will bring out some poor quality coins with the middle piece loose or full of cracks.......oh wait :-)

I know that community groups and organisations are applying for these funds, it is just that they may not be posting about it on the Org. Why would they? They will be busy enough filling in the required forms, I expect.