Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Boris Johnson

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Lets not get personal!
    I am very simply saying that we cannot ‘have it all’.
    £6 Billion would go a long way to assist to prepare for the present calamity.
    I don't know of any other Country that has such a Liberal policy of ‘doling’ out money.
    Come on.....there are no scare tactics.......just You cannot have it all!
    I agree all Gov'ts are bloated. Millions for this and that. We all have that.
    A Politician here got in on the Catchy phrase.....Do away with the Gravy Train!
    Yes, someone has to pay for Covid, and the only place the money can from is us poor tax payers.
    All Political parties are the same/ just different theories.
    And we had a Nuke disaster exercise......where did the Recommendations go, and there were many........Filed.

Testing people at Airports....Impossible...we had thousands come thru and No one was tested. And if they did test positive, where are you going to put them!.....They were given a peace of paper and told to Self Isolate. 70% didn't. The logistics are impossible.
    I still feel that all Gov’t are in the same boat/plane! Very few have handled this well.
    NZ seems to have, with approx. the same population as Scotland.
    I think here Politics should be put aside and a concerted effort be made to rethink Scotland, and for that matter ‘other Countries’. There seems no sense in this continual argument of separation at a time when The UK is ‘licking it’s wounds’.
    It’s better together!
    No sense in trashing me! If you had been smarter or better, you like everyone else would not be in the Dire situation we are all in!

Caveat.....The blame game doesn't work here! Solutions do!
    Last edited by The Horseman; 03-May-20 at 12:58.

Quote Originally Posted by The Horseman View Post
    I think here Politics should be put aside
    That is usually the go-to phrase when someone feels their preferred political system is under threat.

As has been said many times on here this situation requires a political solution. Politicians are deciding the policy; the allocation of funds; the distribution of resources and even the use of the armed forces. This situation could not be any more political if it tried. It's just a shame that the UK currently has a bumper crop of self-interested, incompetent, numbskulls in charge.

The thing that really gets me mad though, is all the distraction activity that is going on; either initiated or encouraged by HMG and all of it draped in a UJ. They have allowed this pandemic to produce what will probably be the single worst socio-economic crisis in all our lifetimes. And yet their crisis management approach seems to be, "We have made a huge mess of everything so let's create a load of smoke and mirrors and maybe people won't notice.". Dunkirk and Blitz spirit references; centenarian veterans having to keep the NHS afloat; good old Boris recovering; and national clapping once a week. Then there is the press going ballistic when the SG proposes a plan (face masks in some public places) which HMG hasn't even thought about yet but which the press spin to be a cheap attempt by NS to embarrass HMG.

As for your assertion that "It's better together!"; don't make me laugh. Being in this Union is costing people their lives. British exceptionalism is costing people their lives and above all sheer incompetence is costing people their lives.

Canada has been using the Military for likely 2 months now, to supplement Old Age homes and as a support system, and most other Countries are now doing the same!
    All Governments are ‘smoke and mirrors’!
    I agree that those in charge in most Countries arn’t capable of Crisis Mgm’t!
    If it’s any consolation, Most Countries are in the same boat, with the same probs, but people trying to ‘stir it up’ at this juncture, serves no one!
    If people feel so strongly about the issues, they should go and Volunteer.
    And Division creates more Division, and thus it goes on and on!
    Stick together and wait for an opportunity to do better.
    Go back in time...what caused the probs in the British Empire, and all the great dynasties in the World!

Lets not get personal!
    I am very simply saying that we cannot ‘have it all’.
    £6 Billion would go a long way to assist to prepare for the present calamity.
    I don't know of any other Country that has such a Liberal policy of ‘doling’ out money.
    Come on.....there are no scare tactics.......just You cannot have it all!
    I agree all Gov'ts are bloated. Millions for this and that. We all have that.
    A Politician here got in on the Catchy phrase.....Do away with the Gravy Train!
    Yes, someone has to pay for Covid, and the only place the money can from is us poor tax payers.
    All Political parties are the same/ just different theories.
    And we had a Nuke disaster exercise......where did the Recommendations go, and there were many........Filed.

Testing people at Airports....Impossible...we had thousands come thru and No one was tested. And if they did test positive, where are you going to put them!.....They were given a peace of paper and told to Self Isolate. 70% didn't. The logistics are impossible.
    I still feel that all Gov’t are in the same boat/plane! Very few have handled this well.
    NZ seems to have, with approx. the same population as Scotland.
    I think here Politics should be put aside and a concerted effort be made to rethink Scotland, and for that matter ‘other Countries’. There seems no sense in this continual argument of separation at a time when The UK is ‘licking it’s wounds’.
    It’s better together!
    No sense in trashing me! If you had been smarter or better, you like everyone else would not be in the Dire situation we are all in!

Caveat.....The blame game doesn't work here! Solutions do!
    Who is getting personal? Do you object to being considered to have Tory attitudes? If so, I apologise, and realise I should have said right wing attitudes. That better?

If testing people at airports is impossible..then how have other countries managed it? I have just read a post on FB from someone who came back from Australia a few days ago, comparing the laissez faire attitude at the UK airports on arrival at Heathrow...no tests, no social distancing, staff without PPE etc. etc. to her experience on leaving Australia. After all, if Matt Hancock is correct, (and why would he lie) passenger numbers had fallen to about 15,000 a day by the 16th April so surely airport and immigration staff could cope with a drop of nearly 90% of the previous year's traffic into airports...given they aren't all going to arrive on the same flight?

I agree we cannot have it all, but where politics comes into it is that different political ideologies have different spending priorities and recruit their advisory boards/councils, scientific or otherwise, with those priorities in mind. As I said elsewhere.... If you DON''T scrutinise and criticise a government for thousands needlessly dying...then they are just going to carry on making their catastrophic errors, aren't they? I'm getting sick of people saying that now is not the time to be criticising, and we should all pull together. Does that mean we all pull together, without complaint, until the government manages to kill off enough of us, before the 2021-2022 budget, to cut their pension payouts and other benefit spending in order to free up money to give tax breaks to those who don't need any more tax breaks?

I wasn't trashing you, btw, unless you are a "my government right or wrong" kind of person, in which case, you will take personal offence at any criticism of the UK Government, however deserved it is...so if you feel offended, that is down to you and not me.

Solutions require someone to be interested in hearing and implementing them...something our government has not done at any time since this whole thing started. They have listened only to what they wanted to hear...e.g. "herd immunity" They have reacted to pressure, some of which may well be the volume of ordinary people trashing them all over Social media, and some of the media rolling back a shade from its usually uncritical and unscrutinised support. If we hadn't been all over the media complaining about the rank stupidity of our government, the lack of PPE, the level of deaths etc etc...the government would probably still be blatantly pursuing their original idea of herd immunity with no safegaurds, waiting for the virus to cull the herd....instead of doing it surreptitiously, while lying through their teeth as to how well we are doing compared to other countries.
    Last edited by Oddquine; 04-May-20 at 15:11.

Hi, I really don’t know what the answer is.
    The World in general has problems....of no surprise to me.
    Methinks the answer is to get into Politics yourself. And of course, then u will see the difficulties of changing anything!

An example......Damage, and Drunks rampaging in Wick and Thurso.
    Two men who could do something about it...Willie Mackey and Mathew Reiss.
    What do they do...Nothing.....that we have heard of!

Willie Mackay...Caithness Civic Leader...poses for Photo Ops at the damaged scenes, and provides his own pics to the Newspapers!
    Mathew Reiss the retired Copper, who obviously has connections, is unheard. Again!
    You toe the ‘Council Line’......I would invite them to respond!
    So there you are.......u take it from there!
    That is why Donald Trump came to power.......just to get rid of the ...Same old......Same old!

Hi, I really don’t know what the answer is.
    The World in general has problems....of no surprise to me.
    Methinks the answer is to get into Politics yourself. And of course, then u will see the difficulties of changing anything!

An example......Damage, and Drunks rampaging in Wick and Thurso.
    Two men who could do something about it...Willie Mackey and Mathew Reiss.
    What do they do...Nothing.....that we have heard of!

Willie Mackay...Caithness Civic Leader...poses for Photo Ops at the damaged scenes, and provides his own pics to the Newspapers!
    Mathew Reiss the retired Copper, who obviously has connections, is unheard. Again!
    You toe the ‘Council Line’......I would invite them to respond!
    So there you are.......u take it from there!
    That is why Donald Trump came to power.......just to get rid of the ...Same old......Same old!
    Is that not a job for the police? What do you expect councillors to do about drunks rampaging in the streets? Isn't there a no alcohol in public places rule for the police to enforce? If not they could certainly try doing something about that.

I think I quit this conversation.
    Methinks u will argue with your Shadow!
    Regards.
    Last edited by The Horseman; 05-May-20 at 01:27.

I think I quit this conversation.
    Methinks u will argue with your Shadow!
    Regards.
    That's your prerogative of course. I suppose sensible enough when you will never convince me, or many other people, that Westminster responded adequately and was not driven by their political ideology as opposed to the common good, when they protected the health of the economy first and foremost, rather than the health and well-being of the whole UK population they are meant to represent. They did too little, too late and did what little they did do, they did half-heartedly...as evidenced by the fact that they are seemingly intending to start coming out of lockdown, when there are still no checks on people coming into the country, still no working testing and tracing regime and still a shortage of PPE....and when other countries didn't start coming out of lockdown for a month or more after "hitting the peak", the "exceptional" UK, who only began to notice anything was wrong a fortnight after anybody else in the first place, and has the highest death rate in Europe, is intending to do it after three weeks....yet again, putting the health of the economy before the health of the population.

I realize what you are saying, but if the system has failed which most did across the World, then DO something about it.
    Get like minded people ‘Up in Arms’, and get better representation For the people!

My example of the Two Politicians were not meant to demean them, or to criticize you! It was to say, if they cannot get the drunks off the street and prevent continual damage being done, how can any one of them or any of the Elected people deal competently with the Current situation.
    BTW...The Council Civic Leaders/Politicians meet with the Police and there can construct strategies to counter the Drunks and Damage being done. As usual this is not being done! The Police are there to serve the Public.
    In 1829 Sir Robert Peel said.....The Police are the Public and the Public are the Police! These two entities are entwined!
    Above Lybster harbour there was a bench. It was damaged many times, and after if being fixed by volunteers, it was eventually thrown in the harbour.
    Something has to change with local council, including the Leaders of the UK., so rather than Rant on about it, do something!
    I read your ‘stuff’, and feel you are a well educated person. Take advantage of your gift.