Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Post Election Council Centralisation

Default Post Election Council Centralisation

Bet that after the election some councils will be merged, as swinny hinted earlier this week and Sturgeon also said earlier this week she would “not rule anything out” when asked if a review of local government structure would involve cutting the number of councils. So expect to see Moray absorbed into HIghlands, East Dunbartonshire into Glasgow or East Renfrewshire, Angus into Dundee sucking power and jobs out of local communities through this constant drive towards central control. SNP have done it with police fire and parts of NHS. Why ? cost savings thats the real reason, its always the economy and we dont look to good going forwards, so keeping tax at status quo ( minor top earner adjustments ) maintaining freebies will be part paid for by savings from centralisation, its either that or cut freebies / raise taxes as you cant square the circle, or can anyone throw light on the drive for centralisation, cos its usually to make costs savings avoid duplication etc.

I missed Swinney's hints about merging councils and Sturgeon's statement she would "not rule anything out". Could you provide a reference please??

Quote Originally Posted by caltonjock View Post
    I missed Swinney's hints about merging councils and Sturgeon's statement she would "not rule anything out". Could you provide a reference please??
    I missed this and its very rich comming from you who never quotes sources used on your blog etc : see https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news...ee-say-tories/ also in other papers but cant remember them all, why ask...council tax freeze, no tax increases will impact on existing council structure so mergers ( just as they did to create Police Scotland ) are 100% inevitable, you cannot square the circle.

The courier.co.uk has it so must be true!!!!! Read the comments from the public who live there and compare it with Tory let's spread fear today. Better of reading the Groat as Ruth does not feature in it so much!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Z View Post
    The courier.co.uk has it so must be true!!!!! Read the comments from the public who live there and compare it with Tory let's spread fear today. Better of reading the Groat as Ruth does not feature in it so much!!!!
    Other papers carried the story to0, as I said try googling

This is bonkers, the Highland Council itself is far too big as it is and would be better split into a couple of smaller councils. Might save money but at what other cost?

Quote Originally Posted by crashbandicoot1979 View Post
    This is bonkers, the Highland Council itself is far too big as it is and would be better split into a couple of smaller councils. Might save money but at what other cost?
    Would agree totally, but for long enough its been muted to absorb parts of Moray into Highlands and parts into Aberdeenshire or the lot into HIghland council, and Moray remember struggled with their imposed budget, werent they first to talk up raising council tax and like the rest backed down as SNP were ging to impose financial penalties on them for doing so ? SNP have track record of centralising. So we can wait and see, but to save costs and deliver services, assuming no income tax rises and keeping council tax freeze in place, costs can only be saved through mergers. Id be surpised if Moray Council was as is in 4 years time could be wrong and hope I am.

Quote Originally Posted by rob murray View Post
    Would agree totally, but for long enough its been muted to absorb parts of Moray into Highlands and parts into Aberdeenshire or the lot into HIghland council, and Moray remember struggled with their imposed budget, werent they first to talk up raising council tax and like the rest backed down as SNP were ging to impose financial penalties on them for doing so ? SNP have track record of centralising. So we can wait and see, but to save costs and deliver services, assuming no income tax rises and keeping council tax freeze in place, costs can only be saved through mergers. Id be surpised if Moray Council was as is in 4 years time could be wrong and hope I am.
    Yes that's a good point, Moray were indeed going to raise council tax. I guess the issue with the size of THC isn't so much about the amount of money available, but how the money and services are administered, in that certain places get more than their fair share of the pot, plus so many jobs are being centralised in Inverness rather than out in the remoter areas where they are needed, both as employment and as a service. Maybe a larger Council would lead to more area committees that could make sure each area has its specific needs met. At the very least I absolutely believe that Inverness should have a City Council, because its needs are totally diferent to the rural parts of the Highlands, plus most other cities have their own council - if it wants to be a city, it should be administered as a city (I'm digressing a bit here, but its something I've thought for a while).

Quote Originally Posted by crashbandicoot1979 View Post
    Yes that's a good point, Moray were indeed going to raise council tax. I guess the issue with the size of THC isn't so much about the amount of money available, but how the money and services are administered, in that certain places get more than their fair share of the pot, plus so many jobs are being centralised in Inverness rather than out in the remoter areas where they are needed, both as employment and as a service. Maybe a larger Council would lead to more area committees that could make sure each area has its specific needs met. At the very least I absolutely believe that Inverness should have a City Council, because its needs are totally diferent to the rural parts of the Highlands, plus most other cities have their own council - if it wants to be a city, it should be administered as a city (I'm digressing a bit here, but its something I've thought for a while).
    Would agree, Inverness city could also include the inner moray firth, thats where the Highlands main economic drivers are, and as you righly point out the Inverness / Inner Moray Firth needs differ enormously to more rural areas, de centralising LA would indeed push jobs and service control out to local areas having real local control and accountability, the growth of Inverness also owes a lot to LA / HC HQ / HIE HQ and other big public organistions being headquartered there as thats where the majority of jobs are. HC top salaries exceed £100k in about 10 cases !

The Courier Article is reporting comments raised by Ruth Davidson. The manifesto of the SNP quite clearly refutes this suggestions of mega councils.

it commits to decentralising budgets, functions and democratic oversights to communities
    it commits to better localisation for island communities
    bigger role for community planning partnerships
    more powerful role for community councils

Community involvement is at the heart of the manifesto promises. Tennant participation, community renewable projects. None of these can be delivered if we move to more centralisation. It's also perhaps worth mentioning that Richard Laird, an SNP councillor here in Inverness is actively pursuing a plan to reduce the size of Highland Council Area. There have been discussions around the Highland Council continuing to deliver centralised pan highland services like payroll, pensions and similar, I suppose corporate functions, whilst the policy decisions are devolved to local areas like Caithness. It's early days yet but all this sort of indicates a direction of travel which is the opposite to that suggested by Ruth Davidson in the article quoted.

The information is available on page 33 of the SNP Manifesto which you will find if you google it. It makes it crystal clear that in all their local government plans "the principle of local control not on behalf of a community but by a community is key."

Hope that clarifies things a bit more for you.
    Last edited by squidge; 05-May-16 at 21:32.

I am not surprised the Unionist Party's fear tactic agenda has spilled over to the election from the referendum. Their reasoning being that if it works keep doing it. I trust Scots are wiser for the experience

Quote Originally Posted by squidge View Post
    The Courier Article is reporting comments raised by Ruth Davidson. The manifesto of the SNP quite clearly refutes this suggestions of mega councils.

it commits to decentralising budgets, functions and democratic oversights to communities
    it commits to better localisation for island communities
    bigger role for community planning partnerships
    more powerful role for community councils

Community involvement is at the heart of the manifesto promises. Tennant participation, community renewable projects. None of these can be delivered if we move to more centralisation. It's also perhaps worth mentioning that Richard Laird, an SNP councillor here in Inverness is actively pursuing a plan to reduce the size of Highland Council Area. There have been discussions around the Highland Council continuing to deliver centralised pan highland services like payroll, pensions and similar, I suppose corporate functions, whilst the policy decisions are devolved to local areas like Caithness. It's early days yet but all this sort of indicates a direction of travel which is the opposite to that suggested by Ruth Davidson in the article quoted.

The information is available on page 33 of the SNP Manifesto which you will find if you google it. It makes it crystal clear that in all their local government plans "the principle of local control not on behalf of a community but by a community is key."

Hope that clarifies things a bit more for you.
    Many thanks for the clarity