Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who were the first live band you went to see

I suppose if it is bands I went to see, then probably saw a few before that. Certainly remember lots of fiddle players in Shetland, seeing as the Shetland Fiddlers used to practise in our hotel.

I was bouncing on Aly Bain's knee while he played one time.

I suppose maybe Johnny Fatts Blues Band or some such concoction was a band I chose to actually go and watch.

It is all a blur really, the perils of under age drinking . . .

I remember heading to Inverness many a time to catch the likes of Jethro Tull, The Smiths, Run Rig (eughhhhh), Roy Harper, and further south to Edinburgh to see The Stranglers and into England to see The Clash, The Exploited,Siouxsie and the Banshees, The Groundhogs and so many others. Often I did not have the money to get home, nor to find a bed for the night and slept rough. It is hard to remember being so passionate about seeing your idols.

Then when I was the grand age of sixteen I started going to the festivals. (On the back of a massive campaign to raise funds, aided in no small measure by 'happening upon' a loose door on the back of a newsagent's van wherein one found hordes of adult comics . . . sold to the young Dounreay apprentices.) Off to see the world I was, well to a few festivals at least.

The Damned, Alvin Lee, The Band, Van Morrison, AC/DC, Van Halen . . . too many to mention all taken in with plenty of warm beer and other warming substances, and welcomed into the loving arms of the Peace Convoy I resolved never to return to the North.

So I was a few weeks late back to school that summer.

in a house wi lights, but it is a light house

awesome thread.

1st band I remember going to see was in the old Weigh Inn in the late 80s & the band's name "The Clyde Valley Stompers"

John Ray junior had the heaviest bass drum pedal I'd ever put my foot on & the sound of the double bass WOW!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by youoldduffer View Post
    KISS in the 80's there was paul stanley lookalikes everywhere. I think it was that concert we started chanting at the tv cameras outs side "Terry Christians a p...."

My 1st gig was with Duffer to see Kiss in 1988 ...Duffer the TV camera's was when we was at Skid Row in 1991 lol

My first band I went to see was RunRig in the Inverness Ice Ring, but that was many moons ago tho.........

Quote Originally Posted by Boozeburglar View Post

I was bouncing on Aly Bain's knee while he played one time.

Im booooored.
    "But primarily, the drummer's supposed to sit back there and swing the band." The actual Buddy Rich

Maurice Lynch Showband, Saturday afternoon matinees in the Assembly Rooms, Wick. Probably late 60's but can't be sure. I remember bopping along to the beat in my pram.

First proper band I saw live was Maximo Park at T in the Park, I think it was 2005. They were really great. First actual gig I went to was Kings of Leon in Aberdeen in 2007. Good show, 'Milk' was my highlight!

First band i ever saw live was

"But primarily, the drummer's supposed to sit back there and swing the band." The actual Buddy Rich

First rock band I ever saw wis the Great Blue White ( Billy Mcphee guitar, Tich Bremner drums, Maurice Dodd bass ) in the Norseman Hotel Wick 1974ish ( underage ! ) One of the best local bands I ever saw...used to do a great version of The Easybeats classic "Good Times" I still mind it

Quote Originally Posted by achingale View Post
    Runrig way back in the 1980s.
    I first saw them play in Skerray Hall about 1973/74

Was that before they released "Play Gaelic"? Think Ive still got that somewhere on cassette.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazeye View Post
    I'll start the ball Rolling with Eddie and the Hotrods.
    Oh btw it was at Lancaster uni in 1976.

Oh btw it was at Lancaster uni in 1976.
    And it went a little bit something like this.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrtwmyVMfOM
    Last edited by Bazeye; 21-Apr-10 at 23:03. Reason: Double post

Was that before they released "Play Gaelic"? Think Ive still got that somewhere on cassette.
    it must have been around that time. Still have the LP of Play Gaelic along with all the other earlier ones.

Cool

First Band was Black Sabbath @ November 1970 in Green's Playhouse Glasgow (later to become the Apollo Theatre), just after 'Paranoid' hit the charts.

I was 13 at the time my big brother had a spare ticket 'coz his mate cried off at the last minute (poor soul).

Brilliant introduction to live music, soon to be followed by Family, Mott the Hoople, Bowie, Queen, Pink Floyd, Genesis, Linda Ronstadt, David Gilmour, etc, etc and of course Fats & Isaac.

Now the first band I ever saw (in Caithness) was Z-Rox. Sometime late 1985 in the Sheilling Bar, Thurso (upstairs). Was quite impressed with their overall production (lights, smoke machine, FOH desk, backdrop etc.). The high stacked PA would wobble to and fro and the floor bent with all the punters jumping about!! (I believe eventually someone almost went through that floor - only to be saved by the carpet!!) It was loud and heavy, just the way I liked it when I was much, MUCH younger.
    All the world's a stage and we are merely players . . . . .
    For more visit: http://www.studiograff-photo.co.uk

17. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Deemac View Post
    Now the first band I ever saw (in Caithness) was Z-Rox. Sometime late 1985 in the Sheilling Bar, Thurso (upstairs). Was quite impressed with their overall production (lights, smoke machine, FOH desk, backdrop etc.). The high stacked PA would wobble to and fro and the floor bent with all the punters jumping about!! (I believe eventually someone almost went through that floor - only to be saved by the carpet!!) It was loud and heavy, just the way I liked it when I was much, MUCH younger.
    Now i remember that.They did a Hallowen gig there and i think it was Dave Craig the guitarist
    had face make up like KISS.
    Last edited by Mystical Potato Head; 26-Apr-10 at 22:17.

The first band I went to see was Showaddywaddy in Eden Court, boy those were the days.

D-mob (remember them??? acieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeedddddddddd)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobinovich View Post
    Hmmm...Roxette

Yeah OK you can pick yourselves up off the floor now...
    Lol I was there too
    @,'---.................................................. ---',@
    ~*~Believe In The Magic Of Your Dreams~*~
    ---',@................................................. . @',---

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast