Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's the point?

Default What's the point?

You go to work and put in the hours, standing in to help many times at short notice, learn every job in every department to try better your career prospects, put up with all manner of crap because someday you'll be rewarded with a promotion and then what happens? The Manager moves on and someone from outside the depot gets the position job instead of me. No disrespect to my new boss but he has no experience of the industry, he only got the job because he's a Post Graduate in something at Uni. I'm bloody furious but can't say anything to the Area Manager about his decision to give the job to someone else, he'll just tell me if I don't like it then I know where the door is; and who can afford to quit a job in the present climate?
    Last edited by joxville; 09-Dec-09 at 00:51.

Default Calm!

Jox, you need to calm right down
    Just take a pill and lose the frown
    Have a look at where you are
    And think about an answer
    Is this nice shiny post-grad clown
    Who's new to job and fresh in town
    Quite good at being managar
    Or just another chancer

Joxville baby, just relax
    And think about a place
    A beach, some music, awful far
    Away from depot race

Just think of good things where you are
    Or maybe Katy Meluar
    All skimpy clad and looking for
    A bloke to hold her hand
    Her new stage show spectacular
    You driving her big Jaguar
    And warning off attentions from
    The blokes that's in her band

Joxville baby, just relax
    This new chap will in time
    Turn out to be another mover
    Smarmy, full of slime

So back to Katy Meluar
    And bottles right behind a bar
    Bikini straps are hanging loose
    And all because of Jox
    There's Katy who's so popular
    Her singings way above by far
    She looks a million dollars
    Even in her thermal socks

And Joxville baby, things will change
    You'll get what you deserve
    This new guy is a Uni-type
    He hasn't got the nerve

He'll move on just like all the rest
    About two years at max
    Before he gets found out he'll jump
    In case he gets the axe

Last edited by Tubthumper; 08-Dec-09 at 20:58.
    Working On Behalf Of The Community!

That is so unfair Joxville.

It's difficult enough, as you say, in todays hard job climate, but when you give it your all, and are consciencious (spl?) about your job and do your utmost, to have some "newby" come in over your head....
    Just keep thinking - "What goes around, comes around" .
    Your time will come lad.. your time will come.
    I don't know you personally, but could well imagine you to be a very consciensious (spl?) worker, so dinna let the "hierarchy" get you down!

Hey, it'll be a New Year soon, so just keep your chin up and see what that may bring forth for you, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by joxville View Post
    You go to work and put in the hours, standing in to help many times at short notice, learn every job in every department to try better your career prospects, put up with all manner of crap because someday you'll be rewarded with a promotion and then what happens? The Manager moves on and someone from outside the depot gets the position job instead of me. No disrespect to my new boss but he has no experience of the industry, he only got the job because he's a Post Graduate in something at Uni. I'm bloody furious and pissed off but can't say anything to the Area Manager about his decision to give the job to someone else, he'll just tell me if I don't like it then I know where the door is; and who can afford to quit a job in the present climate?
    Ah poor little me eh?
    There are some (if ye havena seen in the news)millions unemployed an yer gurning about promotion,,,get real .

Lister - Tchyoub?

Quote Originally Posted by Tubthumper View Post
    Lister - Tchyoub?
    Right back at ye girlie

With that sort of attitude we may as well all stay home and do nowt, better still go sleep on the front step as there are folks sleeping rough and we shouldnt want to better ourselves when there are those worse off.

Never mind Jox, your time will come. Don't let them get you down.
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Default Hi

Tuff about geting further in the job you never do for others it never pays off been there only time you try harder at work wen you work for your self we all learn the hard way

It is just a fact of life that no matter how good you are at your vocation, if you haven't got a higher certificate or a degree then you will nearly always hit a glass ceiling. There are lots of guys out there looking for jobs who have got degrees and looking for work. Quite frankly, you don't need to know an industry from the inside out to get on, you just need to show that you can manage people who do know the industry from the iinside out.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Good things come to those who wait
    Electronics, Sales, Spares & Repairs * TV * AUDIO * PC & LAPTOP * GAMES CONSOLES * IN CAR ENTERTAINMENT * DOMESTIC APPLIANCES * WEEE DISPOSAL *www.facebook.com/Vistravi.Tech * www.vistravi.com *

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    Quite frankly, you don't need to know an industry from the inside out to get on, you just need to show that you can manage people who do know the industry from the inside out.
    One of the problems we have seems to be precisely that attitude. Loads of folk who don't want to learn the job queuing up to get on; no-one actually achieving anything much. Streams of people graduating on the promise of improved life prospects, wanting to bypass the grind of 'serving ones time' in a a workplace... and then there's that mysterious thing that happens, that says a graduate can somehow automatically be a good manager of people... just because he/she is a graduate! Can we afford to support everyone being a leader? I don't think so, so why encourage everyone to think that way?
    In the army, one becomes an officer by dint of showing one has the requisite leadership qualities, and then undergo a huge amount of development work before one is actually permitted to lead. That said, it's a very foolish young officer who neglects to take account of the military & life experience of his senior NCOs.
    Many young graduates don't tend to do any of that stuff. They just go to uni, pass exams and expect it to happen.
    And before anyone stabs me for being anti-graduate, I know plenty of utter erses who were apprentices, and plenty others who were servicemen.
    My point is this - we as a country should get our heads out of the 'go to uni - its the only way to progress' rut.
    It's what you are that counts, not what certificates you have!
    Last edited by Tubthumper; 08-Dec-09 at 23:23.

Quote Originally Posted by lister View Post
    Ah poor little me eh?
    There are some (if ye havena seen in the news)millions unemployed an yer gurning about promotion,,,get real .
    I certainly appreciate I'm one of the lucky ones that hasn't been hit too hard by the recession so mustn't complain too much. How would you feel if you'd worked damn hard and gave up many weekends and some social life just to be overlooked when the chance of promotion came along?

It is just a fact of life that no matter how good you are at your vocation, if you haven't got a higher certificate or a degree then you will nearly always hit a glass ceiling. There are lots of guys out there looking for jobs who have got degrees and looking for work. Quite frankly, you don't need to know an industry from the inside out to get on, you just need to show that you can manage people who do know the industry from the iinside out.
    I'm not going to knock the new boss, he's studied and worked hard to get where he is. It's just galling that he'll learn how the depot works from me and others, rather than start at the bottom and work his way up.

There are lots of guys out there looking for jobs who have got degrees and looking for work.
    Doesn't that kind of reinforce my point?

Quote Originally Posted by joxville View Post
    I'm not going to knock the new boss, he's studied and worked hard to get where he is. It's just galling that he'll learn how the depot works from me and others, rather than start at the bottom and work his way up.
    Jox, I feel for you mate, but t'was ever so in this life, I have encountered this sort of discrimination in my years in the Civil Service, I do not have the answer. Hope after a weekend off and a bit of social life, you end up feeling better.
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Think about it Jox. You are a far more valuable asset to the company being a member of the regular workforce who can do everything when the chips are down. This new guy may be able to manage people and delegate, but when half the workforce are off with the manflu who can work the machinery or whatever it takes to get the job done..........yes Jox ...... You.

Take it from me, you are worth your weight in gold to your employers.
    Making tomorrow`s memories today

Something I was told many years ago, Jox, which always makes me feel better:

Most of the time, the ones who receive promotions are given them in order to get rid of them from the dept.

If you had the choice to promote the good guy and be stuck with the person you couldn't be bothered with, chances are you would promote the latter just to get rid of them

It may not be the same in your case, but it's certainly the flipside way to look at things!

Quote Originally Posted by Turquoise View Post
    Something I was told many years ago, Jox, which always makes me feel better: Most of the time, the ones who receive promotions are given them in order to get rid of them from the dept. If you had the choice to promote the good guy and be stuck with the person you couldn't be bothered with, chances are you would promote the latter just to get rid of them
    This seems to be the way of it. Also, the many bosses who have achieved their position by that route have selected similar people to be their successors!
    I think we're knackered...

Quote Originally Posted by Tubthumper View Post
    I think we're knackered...
    Easy answer to that one, get yourself a higher education if you think you can do a good job, there's no point in fighting the system or you'll be a long time retired thinking what you could have made of yourself if you just made the effort... And there are plenty ways to get educated. No employer will look at anyone who can't prove themselves that they can achieve a higher level of academic ability. No offence but your posts come across as reverse snobbery tbh.

I was not academically qualified and I just took the decision to get educated through the OU because I was sick of vocational work and once I did then doors started to open up.
    Last edited by Rheghead; 10-Dec-09 at 01:45.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

It tends to happen in bigger companies especially, but I'm happy to say I've never seen it anywhere I've worked. It's always best to do your homework before you accept a job somewhere so that you can avoid these work situations, where possible.

Easy answer to that one, get yourself a higher education if you think you can do a good job, there's no point in fighting the system and there are plenty ways to do it. No employer will look at anyone who can't prove themselves have acheived a certain level of academic ability. No offence but your posts come across as reverse snobbery tbh.

I was not academically qualified and I just took the decision to get educated through the OU and once I did then doors started to open up.
    Not everyone has the time or money to study.

I know what you're saying but achieving professional qualifications is not a realistic option for many people.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast