Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Bluebells and Butterflies

Default Bluebells and Butterflies

telling us on sky this morning to plant bluebells in the uk to help the shortage of butterflies this year....so lets all plant a bluebell
    The miracle is not to fly in the air,
    or to walk on the water,but to walk on the earth.

Good idea but make sure they are the native species and not Spanish Bluebells.

Quote Originally Posted by LIZZ View Post
    Good idea but make sure they are the native species and not Spanish Bluebells.
    Oops...is there a differance?...i will plant some when i get home..as you can see i aint no good at gardening..ah well every day's a learning day tee hee

hmm planting bluebells for butterflies thats a new one nettles and budlea would have been a better bet i would have thought nettles seems to be the foodstuff of most butterfly catterpillars and the budlea is nicknamed the butterfly bush ....... just a thought lol
    If its profound what was the name of the golfer and what did he find?

Quote Originally Posted by the_count View Post
    hmm planting bluebells for butterflies thats a new one nettles and budlea would have been a better bet i would have thought nettles seems to be the foodstuff of most butterfly catterpillars and the budlea is nicknamed the butterfly bush ....... just a thought lol
    oh i havent a clue about plants only repeating what they were saying on sky...seam's that after the wet summer last year in the uk...there is going to be a big shortage in butterflies this year...and they were asking for folks to plant bluebells ...to help them along here is the link
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7363411.stm

ahhh thanx for the link ... knew budlea would get a mention in there somewhere
    If its profound what was the name of the golfer and what did he find?

Quote Originally Posted by the_count View Post
    Bluebells will give the b'flies an earlier start as the nettles and buddlea won't be flowering for a while yet. I agree that you must make sure you buy native 'bells and not Spanish ones.
    "Step sideways, pause and study those around you. You will learn a great deal."

karia Guest

My bluebells come out a week or two after my tulips..so I plant yellow tulips to compliment them.

We have a wildlife garden and the best time of year is after the bluebells come up and everything gets lively...plants and animals!