Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

View Poll Results: Should Scotland be an independent country?

Voters
130. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

50 38.46%
  • Yes

80 61.54%
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: New Referendum Poll - How does it look now?

Quote Originally Posted by squidge View Post
    You are welcome. Our money would indeed be different in our pockets I hear done old lady said " What do I care if our currency is marbles as long as when i give my marble over i get a loaf of bread"

Scotland's own currency could be pegged to the value of the £sterling if that is what was best for Scotland. That would mean that fluctuations in currency rates would be minimised.
    Robert Peston BBC Economics Report : "You don't need telling, I know, that the longer the uncertainties persist, the more prolonged the UK will suffer from an elevated cost of finance, and the greater the harm there will be to economic growth - both sides of the border.
    Or to put it another way, whatever the long term prospects for Scotland and the rest of the UK, both could pay a steep and immediate economic price, during the months and probably years it will take to firmly determine the distribution of assets north and south (and I haven't even got on to the further complications of determining how liabilities, such as the national debt , are shared)".

Yes voters : you are are being lied to and conned by a bluffer : dont think that major issues wil be easiiy and quickly resolved, they wont, and as long as there is uncertainty, markets bite and you know what no one will get any pride on telling you...I told you so : we are staring very hard times in the face with no way back, welcome to the abyss ! Marbles...well youve lost any creditibility you ever had with piece of nonsense !!

IF we were in a currency union then we would expect the Bank of England to "take that risk" as you put it because we share in the assets and the liabilities of the Bank of England. There is no need to be governed by the same government to share those assets.

Lets see if I can explain it - If you buy a car with someone you expect them to let you use it and if it breaks down you would expect to contribute wouldnt you? If you buy a house with someone You would expect to share it and expect to contribute to the house and the costs of it.

Scotland contributes to the economy and would shoulder its share of the risks just like the rUK. Just like the car or the house scenario

Quote Originally Posted by rob murray View Post
    Robert Peston BBC Economics Report : "You don't need telling, I know, that the longer the uncertainties persist, the more prolonged the UK will suffer from an elevated cost of finance, and the greater the harm there will be to economic growth - both sides of the border.
    Or to put it another way, whatever the long term prospects for Scotland and the rest of the UK, both could pay a steep and immediate economic price, during the months and probably years it will take to firmly determine the distribution of assets north and south (and I haven't even got on to the further complications of determining how liabilities, such as the national debt , are shared)".

Yes voters : you are are being lied to and conned by a bluffer : dont think that major issues wil be easiiy and quickly resolved, they wont, and as long as there is uncertainty, markets bite and you know what no one will get any pride on telling you...I told you so : we are staring very hard times in the face with no way back, welcome to the abyss ! Marbles...well youve lost any creditibility you ever had with piece of nonsense !!
    Thats why the rUK would either decide quickly there will not be a currency union or that there will be. Thats also why people beleive there will be a currency union. Like i say Rob - in or out of a CU we can still be successful. If there is a YES vote then its in the rUKs interest to decide quickly about a CU. I rather hope they say no.

Thats why the rUK would either decide quickly there will not be a currency union or that there will be. Thats also why people beleive there will be a currency union. Like i say Rob - in or out of a CU we can still be successful. If there is a YES vote then its in the rUKs interest to decide quickly about a CU. I rather hope they say no.
    Whats the point, do you honestly believe that complex situations whatever currency will be used will be deatl with in a matter of days post "freedom" ? As the man says it will take months and years : read his full report please ! and whats with rUK ? Its Great Britain !

Default Courage and not Fear

Quote Originally Posted by BetterTogether View Post
    Fine quotes David will you be there with your wallet open to help the elderly when their fuel bills rise due to financial incompetence of the SNP and their failed attempt to bully a currency union out of the UK ? or like so many activists is it all fancy rhetoric with no in-depth knowledge of the consequences
    Will I be there with my wallet open? It’s not an impossibility – more on that later.

Would I want to live in a country where the elderly, sick and disabled were held above the poverty line – unquestionably yes. This is much more likely to happen in an independent Scotland.
    To be honest, my personal view is that the SNP may well eventually disintegrate into a range of political parties.

What “failed attempt” . . . at a “currency union” . . . with the UK?
    Have there been any serious statements made that the UK would NOT negotiate reasonably? Please tell us now.
    I’m sure an independent Scotland will not employ bully tactics.
    I have neither the intelligence, the aptitude, the time nor the energy to be an activist. On the other hand, the volume of your recent postings (and hinted at by your logon name) suggests you should look in the mirror.
    Where do you get your “in-depth knowledge of the consequences”? Please tell us.

For me, I lived in Scotland for just under 30 years, and have now been in Canada for almost 40. Although I disagreed with many of Pierre Elliot Trudeau’s policies, I will be forever grateful for his achievement of gaining Canada’s independence from Britain, and giving us a Constitution which included a charter of rights, and recognition of aboriginal rights. One of his first acts (before I moved to Canada) was to bring in official bilingualism (federally) which some in Scotland suggested I should be afraid of.
    There have been bumps along the way, but Canada is a better country now than it would have been without Trudeau. Some day soon, I hope we will get proportional representation across the country.

Scotland’s path will be different from Canada’s, which is why I recommended courage instead of fear.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I assume budgej is referring to a post they made, and I'm sure they would remember if they had deleted it themselves. Perhaps it contained sensitive content that alarmed admin. You as a moderator bob should know this.
    And Bobinovich is clearly mischief making in his suggestion, because along with Moira, Sassylass and several other Moderators, Bobinovich was in the implicated in the middle of it too, deliberately targeting individual members of the forum and having a jolly good launch at their expense. Shall I post some of the messages here, or will they too be taken down ?

No share of the assets held by the BOE then no share of the debt. You all seem keen to mention bank account sharing after a divorce. Well you also wouldn't expect to get all of the joint assets without an equal proportion of the liabilities. ie If you get half the house you get half of the mortgage!! Simples.

Quote Originally Posted by budgeJ View Post
    And Bobinovich is clearly mischief making in his suggestion, because along with Moira, Sassylass and several other Moderators, Bobinovich was in the implicated in the middle of it too, deliberately targeting individual members of the forum and having a jolly good launch at their expense. Shall I post some of the messages here, or will they too be taken down ?
    The conspiracy theorists are alive and well on here I see

The point of this thread is that 61.27% of us now want Independence which is a very accurate reflection on how this debate is looking across the WHOLE of SCOTLAND! Plus we have nay sayers on here from rUK who have no vote in the referendum that have affected the poll so things are looking VERY VERY healthy for YES!

I am also sure there will be a gigantic amount of civil unrest if the vote is no regardless of how optimistic you are.9

Quote Originally Posted by weeker2014 View Post
    The conspiracy theorists are alive and well on here I see
    Go and have a look here then:
    http://bit.ly/1w7O29h

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I assume budgej is referring to a post they made, and I'm sure they would remember if they had deleted it themselves. Perhaps it contained sensitive content that alarmed admin. You as a moderator bob should know this.
    So quite obviously you're an old Orger under a new guise (not that that was really under any doubt tbh) if you remember that I was a mod, however your information is WAY out of date as I haven't been a mod for many years , therefore I have no idea what rules they currently operate under.

*Sigh* that old chestnut again...if you're so bothered about something from the dim & distant past then why do you even bother posting? Get over it...everyone else who bothered to read the full story seems to have...

The point of this thread is that 61.27% of us now want Independence which is a very accurate reflection on how this debate is looking across the WHOLE of SCOTLAND! Plus we have nay sayers on here from rUK who have no vote in the referendum that have affected the poll so things are looking VERY VERY healthy for YES!
    Us ??? WHere did you get 61.27% : check out Prof JOhn Curtis, I think he would dispute that nonsense

Yeah he would. That seems to be his job these days

Go and have a look here then:
    http://bit.ly/1w7O29h
    And for anyone reading that, the other side of the story can be found here

Quote Originally Posted by rob murray View Post
    Us ??? WHere did you get 61.27% : check out Prof JOhn Curtis, I think he would dispute that nonsense
    The poll, the reason we are on this thread. Us mean us on the org who have voted in that poll so there is no disputing it, its hard fact!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bobinovich View Post
    And for anyone reading that, the other side of the story can be found here
    Crikey Bob! Where did you find that lol. I looked the other day.

Crikey Bob! Where did you find that lol. I looked the other day.
    LOL remembered it was Colin who wrote it so searched for threads started by him I had a funny feeling the trolls would regurgitate it at some point...

The poll, the reason we are on this thread. Us mean us on the org who have voted in that poll so there is no disputing it, its hard fact!!!
    indeed but the numbers voted are substantially less than the previous poll
    W.A.T.P.

Yeah he would. That seems to be his job these days
    Here we go, is there no end to your patronising.. John Curtice is an acknowledged expert in political polling, Prof of Politics at Strathclyde....but what does he know !!
    Last edited by rob murray; 08-Sep-14 at 16:37.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast