Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Cats Protection number

Default Cats Protection number

Hi, is there a local telephone number for Cats protection? Caught a stray last night and poor thing is still in the crate! Left several messages on 0345 number but not had a reply.

You caught a cat last night, so how do you know for certain it is a Stray? Cats will wander for miles every night but they ususlly go home before to long. So it might be best if you just released it.

Over the past 30 years I have had numerous cats, at one timeI had five cats all at the same time. At least three times we thought we had lost a cat only to find out someone had picked it up as my cat was in their garden. All three claimed they thought the cats were strays but fortunately we got these 3 back.

On saying that we had at 4 other cats go missing and we never found out why but we put it down to that they also had been picked up as well.

So just because you see a cat that you have not seen before it does not mean it is a stray.
    Last edited by Kodiak; 20-Jun-20 at 15:18.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

I'm with Kodiak on this one. Unless the cat is injured or sick you should leave it alone. Alternatively you could ask a vet to check if it has been microchipped.
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

Thank you for your reply. Cats protection did ring me and I did let it free. That's a lesson learned! Thanks again.

bobcat, I am glad it got sorted out. I am not sure that Kodiak was correct in his message although I can understand where he is coming from. I think what you did was the correct thing to do, it all comes down to location, if you are in a remote rural location and a cat appears then it may well be lost or abandoned. Anyway the easiest and quickest method of contacting Caithness Cats Protection is through their facebook page https://www.facebook.com/cpcaithness/

Quote Originally Posted by richardj View Post
    bobcat, I am glad it got sorted out. I am not sure that Kodiak was correct in his message although I can understand where he is coming from. I think what you did was the correct thing to do, it all comes down to location, if you are in a remote rural location and a cat appears then it may well be lost or abandoned. Anyway the easiest and quickest method of contacting Caithness Cats Protection is through their facebook page https://www.facebook.com/cpcaithness/
    my sisters cat was twice picked up by cats protection after someone was concerned it was in their garden. Their house was actually in row behind them. It was well fed and well kept. CP now know the cat so not to take her. Traumatised the poor cat

I know my cat wanders at night. We don’t see her for over 12hrs sometimes! she’s a wee hunter. Looks tiny and I wouldn’t be surprised if someone phoned about her. I think there’s no right or wrong here. If concerned...phone

Last year we had thirteen inbred feral cats over three generations in and around our garden. The cats protection team helped trap them, have them neutered and rehomed to countryside homes where they can still hunt safely. Unfortunately one pregnant female was too fly for them and went on to have five kittens, who will interbreed if not caught and neutered with a view to rehoming. I did contact CPL but at the moment they are still in lockdown but will hopefully deal with the problem as soon as it is safe to do so.
    Making tomorrow`s memories today

It is interesting the replies to this thread, poppett - 13 feral cats. I had never considered the fact that feral cats would interbreed (within the same litter) - I realise that sounds naïve. The job that Cats Protection (and other animal welfare groups) do to catch, neuter and release is so important in helping keep populations of feral cats "under control" as interbreeding does cause so many genetic based illnesses.

We are currently getting a cat run ready to rehome several feral cats from Cats Protection in the next few weeks. If you live in a rural area Cats Protection are always on the look out for people willing to take feral / barn cats - all you need to do is to feed them and keep a look out for their health, and a dry place to sleep (such as a small shed or barn). While feral cats may not be cuddly, or even come near you, they still can bring you pleasure to see and watch, knowing that you are helping a semi-wild cat live out their live(s) without going hungry.

celtchicky mentioning that her sisters cat had been picked up twice also demonstrates the importance of having cats microchipped and registered. I never used to believe in this, now I do.

Quote Originally Posted by richardj View Post
    celtchicky mentioning that her sisters cat had been picked up twice also demonstrates the importance of having cats microchipped and registered. I never used to believe in this, now I do.
    her cat is chipped!