Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Indy 2

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Which bit of remaining in the EU is becoming a new member?

Whatever the case, this time the discussions will take place between Scotland and the EU, other countries leaders directly rather than through WM. This means that unlike the Indyref we are likely to get answers to some of these questions. If you remember last time WM refused to ask and Scotland was unable to do so: This is a different situation.

Quote Originally Posted by squidge View Post
    Which bit of remaining in the EU is becoming a new member?

Whatever the case, this time the discussions will take place between Scotland and the EU, other countries leaders directly rather than through WM. This means that unlike the Indyref we are likely to get answers to some of these questions. If you remember last time WM refused to ask and Scotland was unable to do so: This is a different situation.
    Yes it is a different situation, assuming an indy scotland, we go direct through the process ourselves, lets not rake over the past its gone, what questions do you mean, the application criteria is clearly spelled out in the Copenhagen agreement /application process. All I am saying is, assuming we are indy, the process is lengthy and thats quoting from source docs.

Quote Originally Posted by rob murray View Post
    Yes it is a different situation, assuming an indy scotland, we go direct through the process ourselves, lets not rake over the past its gone, what questions do you mean, the application criteria is clearly spelled out in the Copenhagen agreement /application process. All I am saying is, assuming we are indy, the process is lengthy and thats quoting from source docs.
    You Are assuming that we are applying from OUTSIDE the EU. It may be that we can get the referendum done before the rest of the U.K. Leaves, depending on how long it is until they trigger Article 50.

I am interested to see the information that comes back from the EU on whether they will try to keep us come what may or whether they will make Scotland apply from outside. One of the reasons for saying we would have to apply from outside the EU during the last Indyref was that the UK would have a veto and that the EU would not want to piss off the rest of the U.K. That is not going to be the case this time. It's fascinating.

You Are assuming that we are applying from OUTSIDE the EU. It may be that we can get the referendum done before the rest of the U.K. Leaves, depending on how long it is until they trigger Article 50.

I am interested to see the information that comes back from the EU on whether they will try to keep us come what may or whether they will make Scotland apply from outside. One of the reasons for saying we would have to apply from outside the EU during the last Indyref was that the UK would have a veto and that the EU would not want to piss off the rest of the U.K. That is not going to be the case this time. It's fascinating.
    EU seem to be hard on rUK handing in section 50 asap to minimise uncertainties. then experts predict at least 4 years to get out, so that gives the time to get indy ref done but we would surely be a new state and treated that way, anyway we have to disentangle ourselves from rUK and rUK EU laws which would legally surely apply to the new state of Scotland as an independant country ? Of course it would be good if EU accepted us as is, and shortened a complex process but I doubt it. As I said whats past is past no point in rakin it up, we are now through the looking glass and have to deal with new complex unknowns. Come Saturday SNP position on how they will play this one will be clearer

I hope so but I believe it's 2 years from the Article 50 being invoked unless there is a unanimous vote to extend that. I'm not sure we will get that.

I hope so but I believe it's 2 years from the Article 50 being invoked unless there is a unanimous vote to extend that. I'm not sure we will get that.
    Apparently Herr Merkel is calming the german and euro hawks, adopting a pragmatic approach in tone and language.".in her first public address since the nation backed a Leave vote, the German chancellor called for Brussels to maintain "close future relations" with Britain. SHe says its not in EU interesst to alienate rUK so hints of accomodating rUK well we will see.

Time to leave the UK, let them got on with whatever they want to got on with. The scaremongering is not so frightening the second time round.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.