Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Killer Whales

WOW - yeh but - Wow - no but - wow and wow again, fantastic photos.

I've yet to see one but I live in hope. It looks as if I'm going to have to arm myself with binos, camera and folding chair and spend some time at Duncansby Head!
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

Quote Originally Posted by Gronnuck View Post
    WOW - yeh but - Wow - no but - wow and wow again, fantastic photos.

I've yet to see one but I live in hope. It looks as if I'm going to have to arm myself with binos, camera and folding chair and spend some time at Duncansby Head!
    I think we are past the peak of sightings Gronnuck, if the information in Orkney bird group chatter is correct.
    I'm pleased to say some of those who went looking got quite a thrilling experience.
    But i'm sure some of our Orca visitors will return perhaps not in the numbers seen of late.

Colin

Quote Originally Posted by Seabird View Post
    I think we are past the peak of sightings Gronnuck, if the information in Orkney bird group chatter is correct.
    I'm pleased to say some of those who went looking got quite a thrilling experience.
    But i'm sure some of our Orca visitors will return perhaps not in the numbers seen of late.
    Colin
    Is there any way of setting up an early alarm texting/e-mail notification system for when rare species are spotted in our waters
    Michael Stone is innocent.
    Convicted without any forensic evidence and failed to be picked at any ID parade
    So who did kill Lin & Megan Russell
    http://www.michaelstone.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Anfield View Post
    Is there any way of setting up an early alarm texting/e-mail notification system for when rare species are spotted in our waters
    The birding groups use a texting system and they are easy to set up. The problem is the Whales and Dolphins. There movements are unpredictable and they rarely stay in one area for more than a few minutes. The only species i've ever been able to track is the Killer Whale and the Pilot Whale.
    When the Killer Whales were off John O'Groats Saturday i received a text from a friend and i sent text to some others but noone was able to catch sight of the pod.

Colin

Talking 22010

yes i was working at the castle of mey on fri and spotted 3 killer whales was very impresive they hung about for ten min then headed of to Dunnet head delighted

Quote Originally Posted by donnick View Post
    yes i was working at the castle of mey on fri and spotted 3 killer whales was very impresive they hung about for ten min then headed of to Dunnet head delighted
    Buggha - buggha - buggha - OH and I were working in the garden and must've missed missed them - Aaaaarrrgh!
    Mind you it's difficult to keep an eye on the sea when your digging the new veggie plot, .
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Gronnuck View Post
    Buggha - buggha - buggha - OH and I were working in the garden and must've missed missed them - Aaaaarrrgh!
    Mind you it's difficult to keep an eye on the sea when your digging the new veggie plot, .
    ooops we should have given u a shout .the 10 oclock starts in T room thought we were a welcoming committee

Fabulous. My son has just spotted a pod of, he thinks, orcas, heading south from Papigoe and he lost sight at Wick.
    ~*~ Gill ~*~
    Meiklejohns Confectioners, Thurso Street, Wick
    Open every day 8 am - 10.30 pm

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Sweetie View Post
    Fabulous. My son has just spotted a pod of, he thinks, orcas, heading south from Papigoe and he lost sight at Wick.
    Quite possibly the same group of 9 seen outside Lybster Harbour at 8.10pm this evening.
    1 large bull and an assortment of females and calves. Last seen heading East.
    They were hunting seals this was indicated by the fact they passed Swiney Hill so close to the cliffs that they almost got pass me without me seeing them. Pity the weather was so poor, very grey with rain falling. I did get some pictures with sufficient markings visible on the animals to send them in as part of the Sea watch Foundation photo a fin programme.

Colin Bird
    www.Caithness-Sea-Watching.co.uk

You are probably right. He counted 8 but was unable to get any photos of any worth because of the atrocious weather.
    ~*~ Gill ~*~
    Meiklejohns Confectioners, Thurso Street, Wick
    Open every day 8 am - 10.30 pm

Default killer whales

was so delighted, as we were flying out of wick i was looking down at the sea and saw four whales, was tickled pink to get the birds eye view

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12