Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: a caithness festival?

Quote Originally Posted by Gleber2 View Post
    So, will we be seeing you in Bay City Rollers outfits and playing in the Jock Rocks again?
    By the way, it is not considered good Org etiquette to refer to Orgers by their real names.
    lol lol lol aye...but I lost the troosers...maybe you can lend me some auld pop art gear left over from the Actual Facts. Why not use your name...I post with mine...Ive nothing to hide....etiquette....lol lol lol with the crap that flys around here lol lol lol

Quote Originally Posted by rob murray View Post
    Good, then why post the 6 people in a tent nonsense ...is this from experience ?
    It was meant to convey humor!! (you know . . . leading on from the previous comment that chobbers left about being in the audience!!!!!) . . . . . . . . (was it too subtle for you?).

Jeez, what's wrong with some people on this forum?!! Lighten up Rob, you sound way too stressed and touchy for a man about to embark on a Caithness Festival mission (and believe me - and this is from experience - if you ain't stressed now, I guarantee you will be by the time your finished!!)

- I leave you to rant on your own (exit from thread).
    All the world's a stage and we are merely players . . . . .
    For more visit: http://www.studiograff-photo.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by rob murray View Post
    I post with mine...Ive nothing to hide....etiquette....lol lol lol with the crap that flys around here lol lol lol
    I did not write the rules and everyone knows who Gleber2 is, but there are others who might prefer to remain anon.
    In the image of God? You must be joking!

Quote Originally Posted by Gleber2 View Post
    I did not write the rules and everyone knows who Gleber2 is, but there are others who might prefer to remain anon.
    Ok thats me ta ta !

was i ever this bad?

Hold on now, Rob's got the right idea. Its simple really. All you need is some bands and toilets.
    You old cynics should pay attention and get into this.

Remember it's not all that long ago we nearly had Oasis up to play at an open-air Big Gig.
    Working On Behalf Of The Community!

Quote Originally Posted by Tubthumper View Post
    Hold on now, Rob's got the right idea. Its simple really. All you need is some bands and toilets.

Remember it's not all that long ago we nearly had Oasis up to play at an open-air Big Gig.
    If only it were that easy. I have felt for many years that Caithness needs a largish festival. Orkney has Blues, folk and science and Shetland has several festivals which have been very successful for many years as has Ullapool with Lupallu and the Guitar festival. Ever since the demise of the Thurso Folk Festival in the seventies there has been nothing except the Edge of the World in Thurso. Everything was fine with the Edge until money was raised and a much more ambitious festival was arranged and was a catastrophe financially.
    It is sad that we can't have a successful event in Caithness but we do seem to have a public that is criminally apathetic about such events and won't suport live music if there is a ticket charge. Perhaps MR Murray can pull something off with his enthusiasm, bussiness acumen and big mouth and indeed I wish him all the luck in the world if he attempts it.
    It needs to be noted, however, that this sort of event needs a boss and that the musos and public have to abide by the dictates of that boss as far as choice of music, set list etc is concerned.
    Good luck to anyone who thinks it will be an easy task to take this commitment on board. Some of us old cynics speak from much experience of musical life in Caithness and are aware of the hurdles.
    In the image of God? You must be joking!

Have I missed something!??!!

I along with a couple of other hero's were laughing earlier on in this thread at the suggestion of a caithness music festival, BECAUSE THERE IS ONE!

Yeah it might not be Monsters of Rock, but its a starting point. 3 years ago when we all started to talk about putting The Big Gig together we went through all this rubbish and decided to learn the lessons from Edge Of The World and start small.

Now in its third year it has hardly been the most successful enterprise ever, largely because of the weather, but I remember sitting in Veiwfirth field watching some of the early edge of the world fests and having a great time. Give The Big Gig time and support to grow and you never know, it might actually become popular.

Or Rob, maybe you could just rubbish that fest and start your own massive one straight off the bat, get Radio 1 to cover it and Junkie's like Winehouse and Docherty to headline it and your laughing. Cause it seems that's what your hell bent on doing now.

Rob, perhaps you could PM an orger called uppieballad. He used to post regularly, giving advice to our local musos.
    He also had some grand ideas regarding live festivals - in fact if I'm not mistaken it was he who was going to get Oasis to play up here.
    Can't remember any of the details now, and not sure where he's gone, but I'm certain he'd keep you right. You've got a lot in common.
    Maybe some of the older Caithness music afficianados could remind me?

Quote Originally Posted by the_big_mac View Post
    Have I missed something!??!!

I along with a couple of other hero's were laughing earlier on in this thread at the suggestion of a caithness music festival, BECAUSE THERE IS ONE!

Yeah it might not be Monsters of Rock, but its a starting point. 3 years ago when we all started to talk about putting The Big Gig together we went through all this rubbish and decided to learn the lessons from Edge Of The World and start small.
    What about the Caithness Music Festival. It might not interest many 15-20 year olds but it's been established for yonks and I bet there's a fair few on here who have certificates for Caithness dialect hidden away...
    But back to the point BM, you're absolutely correct. Too easy to write off the small stuff that exists when we're dreaming of Glastonbury. You're doing the right thing by starting small too.
    Maybe you could get Rob M on board to point you in the right direction?

What about the Caithness Music Festival. It might not interest many 15-20 year olds but it's been established for yonks and I bet there's a fair few on here who have certificates for Caithness dialect hidden away...
    But back to the point BM, you're absolutely correct. Too easy to write off the small stuff that exists when we're dreaming of Glastonbury. You're doing the right thing by starting small too.
    Maybe you could get Rob M on board to point you in the right direction?

True, I didnt even think of that. Also with what Fats said earlier about a folk festival. Didnt even know one had existed.

I dont have a lot to do with the big gig this year, however I will be attending and lending my support.

What amazes me is all the suggestions of folk wanting different stuff, poetry, traditional music ect. Have any of these folks approached K Dragon and suggested, or offered their help, to make these part of the big gig?

My brain has now joined the others that have spilled out onto the floor.....
    Big Imagination For Feeling Young Cause Life Yearns Real Optimism

Quote Originally Posted by zebedy View Post
    My brain has now joined the others that have spilled out onto the floor.....
    Sorry about your brain Zeb. I was only kidding...

I wouldn't worry about it too much Tubthumper... he's a drummer, there wasn't much in there tbh

Said from a chap with 2 more holes in his head than the average human?

Surly your head is in some whip too?

And you surly whistle when the wind gets up?

Actually, the whistle is awesome.

I do indeed have a couple of small holes in my head, correct... but I'd rather have two small holes in my ears than one big empty hole between them

Is this getting too much for the drummers?

And this is from a guy who walks like he holding a plectrum between his cheeks? :P

I could take the hump at those cracks about drummers as I think I may be one (two-three-four).
    Remember Ozz-Fest? Maybe we could have Rob-Fest...

Get along to the BIG GIG on the 9th Aug.Tell all your friends about it and hopefully it will be a great day.Only £3 as well.Remember T in the Park had to start somewhere!

I could take the hump at those cracks about drummers as I think I may be one (two-three-four).
    Remember Ozz-Fest? Maybe we could have Rob-Fest...
    Surely you're in retirement now?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast