Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Mistle thrush

Default Mistle thrush

I enjoyed seeing a mistle thrush while down in Dundee last weekend but I have never seen one here in Caithness. Has anyone else seen one or do they not come this far north?

Yes I have occasionally seen mistle thrushes here in Caithness.

There are Mistle Thrushes in Caithness in some woodlands and plantations, but they are not widespread.

Not seen a Mistle Thrush for many years, but I do remember they are pretty fierce if you go near their nest.
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

There's a new bird coming in the garden after googling it's either a song thrush or a mistle thrush but not sure what one, it's about the size of a blackbird, a right bonnie bird it is.

That'll be a song thrush.
    A mistle thrush is bigger.

Song thrush has a very distinctive way of repeating musical phrases in its song. Beautiful bird.

Please can we have a mistle thrush too for comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Fulmar View Post
    Please can we have a mistle thrush too for comparison.
    Of course.
    Nice wee clip of one singing below- a more simple song than the virtuoso song thrush. The mistle thrush is also slightly larger than the song thrush, grayer plumage with spots instead of the song thrush streaks.