Not often I agree with you rheg but I would much prefer that the parties each produced a manifesto that was in some way binding and the statistics for the economy, population, nhs where produced somewhere where the public could easily disseminate the information and weigh and consider the pros and cons of each party.
As opposed to the current media led scrum which is entirely based upon maximising sales or pumping up viewing figures.

I found today's Sky news lead almost amusing but somewhat perturbing with the claim Nicola Sturgeon secretly wants the David Cameron to win.
Initially it seems comical to make such a claim but there would be no better party to win for the SNP as it would just add more fuel to their already well burning fire of anti Westminster rhetoric.
If labour win and there is even an ad hoc agreement with the SNP then it would be a lot harder for them to distance themselves from anything the public dislikes happening in the next five years.
So a Conservative majority in England and an SNP majority in Scotland would suit them and allow the further blame games to continue.
Neither is really a suitable solution for the running of a country.