Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tofu Bacon

Quote Originally Posted by Alrock View Post
    There you go... "Pork Based Product"

Do you live in the USA?
    Here in the UK/EU it is called "Turkey Rashers" so I suppose you could call it "Bacon Flavoured Tofu Rashers" if you want.
    If your whole argument through this thread is based upon semantics of the word bacon then you have wasted our time. Tofu bacon, tofu rashers, I do not care. This recipe is fantastic. It is also a great option for wannabe vegetarians who see giving up bacon as a deal-breaker. Try it.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

donss Guest

I'm of the opinion that there's only been one time waster on this thread, and it aint Alrock & it ain't me...

It's goodnight from me and it's goodnight from him. Goodnight.

And how many little tofus must die in agony, to satiate this fanatic's bacon-lust!

Haters have got to hate.
    Last edited by Rheghead; 24-Oct-16 at 20:09.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    Ask yourself the question.

do you need to eat bacon given by refusal to eat meat that you will bring such a liberating revolution to the quality of the 59 billion lives of innocent animals who are brought to slaughter for your own dietary satisfaction?
    interesting thought that.
    Say we all decide to follow suit and try veganism, what happens to the 59 billion animals that are farmed to supply the food-chain?
    Does the farmer continue to nurture and raise his stock for the love of the beast and for no financial gain?
    Does he turn them to the fields and let them get on with it, whilst walking off his farm with a shrug of the shoulder and say ach well?
    Does he slaughter them, go bankrupt, sell the farm for a fraction of its previous worth and the the new owner / tenant does something else with his land?

I would bet on option 3, billions of animals will die and for no good reason.

I also fail to see what a vegan would want to replicate the experience of flesh eating?
    Is oral sex off the menu for vegans also?
    W.A.T.P.

Quote Originally Posted by mi16 View Post
    Say we all decide to follow suit and try veganism, what happens to the 59 billion animals that are farmed to supply the food-chain?
    Does the farmer continue to nurture and raise his stock for the love of the beast and for no financial gain?
    Does he turn them to the fields and let them get on with it, whilst walking off his farm with a shrug of the shoulder and say ach well?
    Does he slaughter them, go bankrupt, sell the farm for a fraction of its previous worth and the the new owner / tenant does something else with his land?

Not a problem.

If they can make tofu into bacon, they can use a reverse process to turn farm animals into tofu.

Which can then be made into bacon.

In fact, I suspect that's what they're already doing.

I also fail to see what a vegan would want to replicate the experience of flesh eating?
    The set of circumstances that you provided depended on a sudden change to veganism. Although desirable, it would be pretty unachievable due to the level of ambivalence towards being kind to animals.

But lets entertain your argument for its own sake. I would say the farmer has no need to raise his stock even for the love of animals or profit if we all went vegan. A farmer certainly doesn't love his stock, he loves money. There'd certainly be no profit in it if nobody was buying his products. If he just left his fields to go unmanaged and the animals just lived there then they'd have a much happier life. If they were suffering in any way then any kind person would want to end the suffering in the absence of a natural predator. So there is no obstacle on ethical grounds to even the sudden cessation to eating animal products. It certainly wouldn't be the kinder option to keep eating animals and to perpeptuate the holocaust.

These animals were bred for captivity for which we do not have any reason for keeping them. They will go extinct, they are wholly unsuitable to live in the wild.

But what comes next? That is the big question. I am prepared to say that what comes next is an ecologist's dream. The carbon emissions of the planet will come down by up to 15-20% The natural flora and fauna will return to where fields of livestock used to eat. We would live in a national wildlife park which would be deeply rewarding. The earth will return to balance of the Cycle of Life.

The set of circumstances that you provided depended on a sudden change to veganism. Although desirable, it would be pretty unachievable due to the level of ambivalence towards being kind to animals.

But lets entertain your argument for its own sake. I would say the farmer has no need to raise his stock even for the love of animals or profit if we all went vegan. A farmer certainly doesn't love his stock, he loves money. There'd certainly be no profit in it if nobody was buying his products. If he just left his fields to go unmanaged and the animals just lived there then they'd have a much happier life. If they were suffering in any way then any kind person would want to end the suffering in the absence of a natural predator. So there is no obstacle on ethical grounds to even the sudden cessation to eating animal products. It certainly wouldn't be the kinder option to keep eating animals and to perpeptuate the holocaust.

These animals were bred for captivity for which we do not have any reason for keeping them. They will go extinct, they are wholly unsuitable to live in the wild.

But what comes next? That is the big question. I am prepared to say that what comes next is an ecologist's dream. The carbon emissions of the planet will come down by up to 15-20% The natural flora and fauna will return to where fields of livestock used to eat. We would live in a national wildlife park which would be deeply rewarding. The earth will return to balance of the Cycle of Life.
    You think a herd of cattle fenced in a field would have a happy life?
    The field would rapidly become bare and if in the winter it would become a bog and they would as you say perish in a miserable manner.
    As a vegan would you be able to end the life on an animal which could have a healthy life being kept indoors and farmed properly?

So as a vegan it is preferable to you to see a species become extinct rather than have them farmed?

As you say there would be no profit in livestock, so if by some miracle he remained in business he would shoot his stock and replant his fields in vegan friendly crops to continue making a living.
    If you think the land would just return to its original state then you are deluded.

Anyway we have digressed a little, I dont think you have answered the part about why a vegan would want to eat a replica of bacon?
    Just have a bacon sandwich, its lovely, I dont discriminate I will take a slice of vegan lettuce and tomato on my cheeseburger.
    Last edited by mi16; 06-Nov-16 at 12:41.
    W.A.T.P.

You think a herd of cattle fenced in a field would have a happy life?
    The field would rapidly become bare and if in the winter it would become a bog and they would as you say perish in a miserable manner.
    As a vegan would you be able to end the life on an animal which could have a healthy life being kept indoors and farmed properly?

So as a vegan it is preferable to you to see a species become extinct rather than have them farmed?

As you say there would be no profit in livestock, so if by some miracle he remained in business he would shoot his stock and replant his fields in vegan friendly crops to continue making a living.
    If you think the land would just return to its original state then you are deluded.

Anyway we have digressed a little, I dont think you have answered the part about why a vegan would want to eat a replica of bacon?
    Just have a bacon sandwich, its lovely, I dont discriminate I will take a slice of vegan lettuce and tomato on my cheeseburger.
    Yes i do think they would have a happier life in a fields in following a sudden swing to veganism. They certainly do not have a happy life now.

Livestock are not species, they are breeds, they have been defined by their status as commodities. And yes I do think the animals will go extinct. If you think I should be horrified by that then I am not type of person. Death comes to us all, it is how we get there that matters. I deplore cruelty, cruelty is a construct made by mankind, all else is just the Cycle of Life. Keeping animals would perpeptuate cruelty, not stop it.

Tell me why the land would not return to the natural state if we do not keep animals on it? Do you really think the farmers would keep them as fields for thelove of fields? lol

Yes i do think they would have a happier life in a fields in following a sudden swing to veganism. They certainly do not have a happy life now.

Livestock are not species, they are breeds, they have been defined by their status as commodities. And yes I do think the animals will go extinct. If you think I should be horrified by that then I am not type of person. Death comes to us all, it is how we get there that matters. I deplore cruelty, cruelty is a construct made by mankind, all else is just the Cycle of Life. Keeping animals would perpeptuate cruelty, not stop it.

Tell me why the land would not return to the natural state if we do not keep animals on it? Do you really think the farmers would keep them as fields for thelove of fields? lol
    i believe i have answered this already
    They would grow something else, something the vegans would buy
    Which in turn in order to make space would not leave any other option but to slaughter the current occupants of the land

Are you deliberately dodging the replica bacon query?
    Last edited by mi16; 06-Nov-16 at 13:25.
    W.A.T.P.

I think i have already covered this. Tofu bacon is food, if you enjoy it then eat it. It really is as simple as that. And as it comes with no cruelty footprint then it will taste all the more satisfying. People see bacon as a dealbreaker with going vegan. Tofu bacon tastes just like bacon so there are alternatives.

Only because they can't get a girlfriend.

...People see bacon as a dealbreaker with going vegan.....
    I could live without bacon... Now... A nice juicy steak, drippig blood, that's another story... Any vegan alternatives to that?
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."

I think i have already covered this. Tofu bacon is food, if you enjoy it then eat it. It really is as simple as that. And as it comes with no cruelty footprint then it will taste all the more satisfying. People see bacon as a dealbreaker with going vegan. Tofu bacon tastes just like bacon so there are alternatives.
    Yes I get that you like bacon flavored tofu
    What I dont get is why someone who is against meat products would want to eat something that is artificially flavored to taste like meat, it makes no sense.
    Bacon wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, can take it or leave it.
    A nice roast pork though, mmmmm

Do you take the same care with all other aspects in your life, like clothing, furniture household products?
    Or is it just the food you have issue with?
    W.A.T.P.

Quote Originally Posted by sids View Post
    Only because they can't get a girlfriend.
    A boyfriend could deposit protein also
    W.A.T.P.

They certainly do not have a happy life now.
    Can you back that up any, a tup or a bull has a whale of a time
    fed like a king of the species and goes hammer and tong at it for all he is worth.
    whats not to like
    W.A.T.P.

Yes I get that you like bacon flavored tofu
    What I dont get is why someone who is against meat products would want to eat something that is artificially flavored to taste like meat, it makes no sense.
    Bacon wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, can take it or leave it.
    A nice roast pork though, mmmmm

Do you take the same care with all other aspects in your life, like clothing, furniture household products?
    Or is it just the food you have issue with?
    I think the need for products that taste like meat but are made from plants is pretty explanatory. You yourself have said that bacon tastes good, I think bacon tastes good. but why would i want pigs to be kept in appalling conditions and then killed? It doesn't make sense to me, I want to be kind to animals. And i do not want to pay anyone to be cruel to animals either.

I think we should take the ethically rewarding route if alternatives exist.

Can you back that up any, a tup or a bull has a whale of a time
    fed like a king of the species and goes hammer and tong at it for all he is worth.
    whats not to like
    Are your serious? Do you actually know the process?

Quote Originally Posted by Alrock View Post
    I could live without bacon... Now... A nice juicy steak, drippig blood, that's another story... Any vegan alternatives to that?
    It is coming, Supermeat. Are you in favour?

Are your serious? Do you actually know the process?
    I have never partook in an ewe but i am more than familiar with it.
    W.A.T.P.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast