Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: An Economic Case for Scottish Independence

Default An Economic Case for Scottish Independence

For those of you who harbour doubts about whether Scotland could survive as an independent country please watch this. It's only ¼ of an hour out of your life and you may find it very enlightening.

This shows an interesting array of tables - https://howmuch.net/articles/richest...s-in-the-world

Ireland, which for most of my lifetime, has been portrayed by Westminster as an economic basket-case is now the 5th richest country in the World based on per capita GDP. It is also the 2nd richest country in Europe by the same measure.

Well played Ireland! Leave the UK; join the EU; join the Euro and never look back. There may be some lessons in there for Scotland, don't you think?

Perhaps...but who will lead you there?

Personally, I do wonder how much appetite there is among Scots for applying to join the EU- none at all among those with whom I speak. I consider that the pandemic has fundamentally changed everything and that things will not go back to 'business as usual' but I do not foresee yet what shape this might take. I daresay there will be a series of steps and changes that may surprise us all.

Quote Originally Posted by Corky Smeek View Post
    This shows an interesting array of tables - https://howmuch.net/articles/richest...s-in-the-world

Ireland, which for most of my lifetime, has been portrayed by Westminster as an economic basket-case is now the 5th richest country in the World based on per capita GDP. It is also the 2nd richest country in Europe by the same measure.

Well played Ireland! Leave the UK; join the EU; join the Euro and never look back. There may be some lessons in there for Scotland, don't you think?
    Let us not forget it has taken Ireland nearly 100 years to arrive at this point. Their Punt was tied to the Bank of England pound until they switched to the Euro in 2002. Ireland has benefited from its membership of the EU. Even now they are opening up new trade routes to circumvent having to cross the UK mainland. Scotland could certainly learn from this.
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

Quote Originally Posted by The Horseman View Post
    Perhaps...but who will lead you there?
    The plan is for Scotland to hold a General Election within 18 months of independence so that the People of Scotland can choose whatever shade of government they wish to lead them. The old parties will change or be replaced to reflect the new normal. Independence is normal. Hundreds of countries have gained their independence from the UK, non of them has asked to return to UK rule. There are lots of small normal countries making their way in the world. Why is it Horseman that you find this so strange?
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

Whether there is an appetite in Scotland for re-joining the EU is currently irrelevant. The Scottish electorate made it clear in 2016 what they wanted and they were ignored. The only way to ensure the Scottish electorate get what they vote for is through independence. If, after that is achieved the people of Scotland then vote not to re-apply to the EU then that is absolutely fine with me. I won't like it but I will accept it as being the choice of the Scottish electorate. The decision will have been made in Scotland by the people who live here.

Can you have one without the other Corky?

Quote Originally Posted by Fulmar View Post
    Can you have one without the other Corky?

I'm genuinely not sure what you mean. Any chance you could elaborate?

[QUOTE=Corky Smeek;1197887]Whether there is an appetite in Scotland for re-joining the EU is currently irrelevant. The Scottish electorate made it clear in 2016 what they wanted and they were ignored.

Were they really? I thought the vote was against separation!

[QUOTE=The Horseman;1197896]
    Whether there is an appetite in Scotland for re-joining the EU is currently irrelevant. The Scottish electorate made it clear in 2016 what they wanted and they were ignored.

Were they really? I thought the vote was against separation!
    Might I suggest you check your dates.

But how could you expect any vote to succeed, when you voted to stay in the UK!

Quote Originally Posted by Gronnuck View Post
    The plan is for Scotland to hold a General Election within 18 months of independence so that the People of Scotland can choose whatever shade of government they wish to lead them. The old parties will change or be replaced to reflect the new normal. Independence is normal. Hundreds of countries have gained their independence from the UK, non of them has asked to return to UK rule. There are lots of small normal countries making their way in the world. Why is it Horseman that you find this so strange?
    Of course, but you haven’t left yet...how can there be a solid Plan!
    There is a ‘power struggle’ going on which has not abated!
    This is not a ‘happy’ leadership.
    First they Investigated Civilly, and when that didn’t work, Criminal Charges were brought forward which failed.
    And these are the people who are going to Lead! I dunno!
    Generally, the populace gathers behind The Leadership........but.......
    Last edited by The Horseman; 24-Mar-21 at 23:39.

I meant the economic arguments really.

Quote Originally Posted by Fulmar View Post
    I meant the economic arguments really.
    I thought the video covered that admirably.

My thoughts, after watching this scenario for years....

As in Elections, one must pick their time to go forward with ‘new beginnings’....Not in the middle of the Worst Crises since The 40’s.
    And the money being spent on Lawyers is astronomical! Someone said ‘No Lawyers are being paid’.
    Everything that is going on with the Leadership in in Lawyers hands. The hearings are all conducted with Legal Advisors.... £Millions are being spent on them, and of course the £500k to the former leader........and that is only the beginning. He will likely have his defence fees paid for again, as he may show that this was ‘a Retribution Prosecution’. ANYTHING TO TAKE SALMOND OUT! And the leader looks like the cartoon of someone hanging on a window ledge by their fingertips.
    There are many Scots where I am, and the are watching this fiasco with amazement.

As a matter of interest, you can file a Freedom of Information request, and ascertain the amount of Legal Fees paid last year. Could be a shocker....then put that against the amount of money for Care/ lack of/ that is being given to The Scots North of Inverness.
    I lived there and was going back every year. I read about the Ambulance calls, and the time it was taking to Serve the Public in a timely manner.
    Scotland voted No to leaving, but later to staying in the EU. You cannot have it both ways. Choices were made...C’est la vie!
    I think that the EU is in serious trouble, and not to be joined to at the present time.
    In fact people are calling the EU Countries bailing each other out, akin to a Ponzi Scheme, which will eventually fall.

Go for Independence when you know it will happen, not another messed up try!
    Last edited by The Horseman; 25-Mar-21 at 14:30.

I just read more revelations...If this keeps going you won’t have a Party to cling to.

@ Horseman

You really don't get it at all do you?

Independence is a heartfelt wish for many people living in Scotland. They are not going to be moved from that standpoint because of a dispute between two prominent players. The destination is the important thing.

@ Horseman

You really don't get it at all do you?

Independence is a heartfelt wish for many people living in Scotland. They are not going to be moved from that standpoint because of a dispute between two prominent players. The destination is the important thing.
    I understand fully....but Voters are ‘fickle people’! They will get fed up with the ongoing disputes and say ‘To H.....with you.
    They are depending on the SNP to do this. Everything is stalled between two power hungry people.
    You know what will happen, and it happened here....
    Voted into power will be ‘The lessor of the Evils......and the SNP will be finished for years.
    Where does Bill Fernie stand in this? He seems to be an experienced level headed person!

I didn't think you got it and you have just proved me correct.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast