Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meditation: what is it and what does it do for you?

Default Meditation: what is it and what does it do for you?

I don't know whether I'm missing something or whether my circle of friends is different from that of the typical orger but I don't know anything about meditation and I don't know anyone who claims to do it. So why do I see so many threads about meditation on this forum? Is Caithness a hotbed of calm laid-back meditators or is it a coincidence that a lot of people are offering classes in meditation or expressing interest in it?

I always thought meditation was religious mumbo jumbo or new age wizzle wozzle disguised as a means to achieve relaxation by simple methodologies that can be well described in everyday terms. Or was it the other way round? Whatever...

What do you know about this thing called Meditation and what is your attitude towards it?

Moi x

Quote Originally Posted by Moi x View Post
    I don't know whether I'm missing something or whether my circle of friends is different from that of the typical orger but I don't know anything about meditation and I don't know anyone who claims to do it. So why do I see so many threads about meditation on this forum? Is Caithness a hotbed of calm laid-back meditators or is it a coincidence that a lot of people are offering classes in meditation or expressing interest in it?

I always thought meditation was religious mumbo jumbo or new age wizzle wozzle disguised as a means to achieve relaxation by simple methodologies that can be well described in everyday terms. Or was it the other way round? Whatever...

What do you know about this thing called Meditation and what is your attitude towards it?

Moi x
    I'll have to think about that!!

Yoga taught me to meditate. It clears my mind and helps me relax and focus on a daily basis, and it helped me through natural childbirth twice. My class is once a week and that's the night I sleep the best.

where is you class?

Meditation is like bringing your subconscious to the front of your mind, focusing on an inner calmness while still being aware of your surroundings. It's pretty much one step away from hypnosis. Anyone can do it, there are self-help books available but it is definitely better to go see a practitioner for a few sessions.

It is a well used scene but basically you are taking yourself off to your own desert island. Or if you prefer you can go flying. The only limitation's are what you place on yourself through your concsious mind. You really do have to 'open-up' and let yourself go. Once you are comfortable doing it then a few minutes is all you need to recharge yourself. My colleagues used to laugh at me when I told them I meditated but now they are used to see-ing me do it they just leave me alone, and when things go wrong at work I don't get stressed unlike some of them.

There are definitely a few .orger's that could do with finding that inner-calmness.

Quote Originally Posted by joxville View Post
    Meditation is like bringing your subconscious to the front of your mind, focusing on an inner calmness while still being aware of your surroundings. It's pretty much one step away from hypnosis. Anyone can do it, there are self-help books available but it is definitely better to go see a practitioner for a few sessions.

It is a well used scene but basically you are taking yourself off to your own desert island. Or if you prefer you can go flying. The only limitation's are what you place on yourself through your concsious mind. You really do have to 'open-up' and let yourself go. Once you are comfortable doing it then a few minutes is all you need to recharge yourself. My colleagues used to laugh at me when I told them I meditated but now they are used to see-ing me do it they just leave me alone, and when things go wrong at work I don't get stressed unlike some of them.

There are definitely a few .orger's that could do with finding that inner-calmness.
    Damn I always thought that was FISHING lol
    If its profound what was the name of the golfer and what did he find?

Quote Originally Posted by joxville View Post
    Meditation is like bringing your subconscious to the front of your mind, focusing on an inner calmness while still being aware of your surroundings.
    subconscious to the front of your mind
    The only limitation's are what you place on yourself through your concsious mind. You really do have to 'open-up' and let yourself go. Once you are comfortable doing it then a few minutes is all you need to recharge yourself.
    Thanks for that joxville. I read it and thought I understood but on reflection I have no idea what is meant by 'bringing your subconscious to the front of your mind' or how you go about trying 'to 'open-up' and let yourself go.'

Can you tell us more?

I know I could go and read a book but that's not the same somehow.

Moi x

Quote Originally Posted by Moi x View Post
    Thanks for that joxville. I read it and thought I understood but on reflection I have no idea what is meant by 'bringing your subconscious to the front of your mind' or how you go about trying 'to 'open-up' and let yourself go.'

Can you tell us more?

I know I could go and read a book but that's not the same somehow.

Moi x
    It really is difficult to put what you feel into words. In the same way that we all know what love is, to write down that singular feeling of absolute beauty and serenity is impossible. That one moment in time, where you are free of earth-bound restrictions, where you can forget about your day to day life because it will still be there when you return, is a fantastic feeling. I can liken it to jumping out of a plane, where you are floating for a few minutes, feeling free and having that oneness with just you and the air before you have to pull the ripcord and come back to reality.

I think you should find someone near you that does classes to learn more about it and experience it.

Good grief, what have I been missing all these years?

I'd be interested so long as it doesn't involve any of that yogic flying nonsense that the Maharishi and his followers used to claim helped the world to be a better place.

I'm not sure I'd be a good student though. I used to accompany a friend to an ante-natal class when her partner was working away. I found the relaxation classes infuriating. Why did I have to lie on the floor doing breathing exercises and trying to relax when I could be doing something useful? Am I doomed to failure as a meditator?

Moi x

Moi - you found relaxation classes infuriating! If that is the way you feel then I think you are missing something. Have done yoga and found it extremely relaxing and similarily I thought the relaxation part of ante-natal was one of the best. Horses for courses though maybe something more active helps you unwind or do you not feel the need to unwind?

I dont have time for a full, big reply, but wanted to briefly comment as someone who has both studied and teaches meditation, although the way i teach upsets some other teachers of meditation as i dont believe meditation is anything out of the ordinary, nor transcends concious or unconscious thoughts, and can be learned by everyone, without a guide, religious conviction etc.

So what is meditation, well thats a very curious question, as the process is different from individual to individual, but having conducted some research using EEG etc i have found that in the majority of cases meditation is an inward state of focus, which results in physiological change, such as respiration rate, cerebral blood flow, heart rate variation etc.
    The process can vary, from guided imagery, to story telling, to sensory awareness, and psychological absorption etc.

Can everyone do it, sure, you just need like most things some time and outcome to work towards.

The process varies from tutor to tutor, some stringing it out, with mumble jumble, praying on individual belief systems etc, where as the reality is much more simplistic, and can be learnt in a couple of sessions, and with EEG and neurofeedback you can learn it in a amazingly fast time.

The reason we teach meditation at Dunbeath Surgery is that is a very good tool for removing anxiety, hypertension etc, and the way we teach is very simplistic, and yet very cutting edge. Why, well we uses neurofeedback to let people see their brain wave activity, and to demonstrate patterns of thought and neurological change. I am interested purely from a clinical point of view, and have a vast client load who have seen a great change in levels of hypertensions, stress etc.

Most people involved in meditation from my experience have little if any neurological understanding and dont actually know what happens in a meditation session, and like every field there are good and bad, some charging ridiculous amount of cash, claiming you can only be taught by them etc, which i just not right in my opinion.

That fine, but you should be honest in your process and levels of understanding. I recently saw a client who had been involved in meditation for over 15 years, yet was still not getting any real benefits. We stripped away the process, showed her her brainwaves under her process, and then our process, and two sessions later she is getting good results.

I want to add that meditation is NOT hypnosis, as mentioned in a previous post, hypnosis is a process of suggestion, and states of suggestibility usually between therapist and client, and under EEG and MRI scans it has been noted that a different part of the brain becomes active in hypnosis sessions to that of meditation.

If i have time ill post later, but if anyone wants to see meditation whilst on an EEG session etc, let me know and we will put on another free workshop at the surgery on the topic.

Andrew.
    Andrew Usher
    Partner / Practice Manager
    Dunbeath Surgery
    dunbeathsurgery.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by wifie View Post
    Moi - you found relaxation classes infuriating! If that is the way you feel then I think you are missing something. Have done yoga and found it extremely relaxing and similarily I thought the relaxation part of ante-natal was one of the best. Horses for courses though maybe something more active helps you unwind or do you not feel the need to unwind?
    Yes, I found them infuriating! I did try to co-operate but it just didn't work for me. I almost fell asleep once but that was only because I was very tired and I'd have done anything to avoid listening to the woman taking the class droning on about breathing and relaxation. It didn't help that I was the only non-pregnant woman in the class and I stuck out like a sore thumb, even more so than some of the men and that's saying something!

Do you think I might do better with yoga or am I a hopeless case?

Moi x

Quote Originally Posted by A_Usher View Post
    I ... dont believe meditation is anything out of the ordinary, nor transcends concious or unconscious thoughts, and can be learned by everyone, without a guide, religious conviction etc.
    Thank goodness for that. Are you good with hopeless cases though?

Moi x

Nothing ventured Moi, nothing ventured.........

Well,if a more science based method is better for your mind set then perhaps something like EEG may be better suited, in which case you would be more than welcome to come to the surgery or one of our workshops.
    Andrew Usher
    Dunbeath Surgery
    dunbeathsurgery.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by A_Usher View Post
    I dont have time for a full, big reply, but wanted to briefly comment as someone who has both studied and teaches meditation, although the way i teach upsets some other teachers of meditation as i dont believe meditation is anything out of the ordinary, nor transcends concious or unconscious thoughts, and can be learned by everyone, without a guide, religious conviction etc.

So what is meditation, well thats a very curious question, as the process is different from individual to individual, but having conducted some research using EEG etc i have found that in the majority of cases meditation is an inward state of focus, which results in physiological change, such as respiration rate, cerebral blood flow, heart rate variation etc.
    The process can vary, from guided imagery, to story telling, to sensory awareness, and psychological absorption etc.

Can everyone do it, sure, you just need like most things some time and outcome to work towards.

The process varies from tutor to tutor, some stringing it out, with mumble jumble, praying on individual belief systems etc, where as the reality is much more simplistic, and can be learnt in a couple of sessions, and with EEG and neurofeedback you can learn it in a amazingly fast time.

The reason we teach meditation at Dunbeath Surgery is that is a very good tool for removing anxiety, hypertension etc, and the way we teach is very simplistic, and yet very cutting edge. Why, well we uses neurofeedback to let people see their brain wave activity, and to demonstrate patterns of thought and neurological change. I am interested purely from a clinical point of view, and have a vast client load who have seen a great change in levels of hypertensions, stress etc.

Most people involved in meditation from my experience have little if any neurological understanding and dont actually know what happens in a meditation session, and like every field there are good and bad, some charging ridiculous amount of cash, claiming you can only be taught by them etc, which i just not right in my opinion.

That fine, but you should be honest in your process and levels of understanding. I recently saw a client who had been involved in meditation for over 15 years, yet was still not getting any real benefits. We stripped away the process, showed her her brainwaves under her process, and then our process, and two sessions later she is getting good results.

I want to add that meditation is NOT hypnosis, as mentioned in a previous post, hypnosis is a process of suggestion, and states of suggestibility usually between therapist and client, and under EEG and MRI scans it has been noted that a different part of the brain becomes active in hypnosis sessions to that of meditation.

If i have time ill post later, but if anyone wants to see meditation whilst on an EEG session etc, let me know and we will put on another free workshop at the surgery on the topic.

Andrew.

I didn't say meditation was hypnosis, I said it was a step away from it. However you are right in pointing it out so that those who don't know there is a difference don't get confused by the different states the mind enters.

I'd certainly be interested in attending one of your workshops but would find it difficult to attend since I live in England.

Well if i could just chill oot for 5 seconds i would be doing good, I am a born worrier, I can never switch off, I can never relax on a day off work, My hubby is always telling me to chill out!! Often thought about meditation but like alot of people wouldn't know where to start.
    Last edited by T-Bag; 08-Jul-08 at 00:59.

I run a 5 week meditation course in Wick. The next one has one place left on it and starts on Momday 21 July if you're interested?

Equally stress management may be more suited, given its quick, easy, has the same results of meditation, has lots of quick methods for inducing relaxations, focus of mind etc, and we do it for free at Dunbeath Surgery.

We also will be setting up a free online stress management class where you will be able to do weekly lessons, listen to online lectures etc, from the comfort of your home, all for no outlay. It will also incorporate meditation techniques, techniques that are known to work quickly and easily, and my own method i have used with patients, which takes only 10 seconds to introduce a relaxed state of mind.

Andrew
    Andrew Usher
    Dunbeath Surgery
    dunbeathsurgery.co.uk

I have just gotten into meditiation, and it is great. I just have to find the time to put away 20 mins every day, which I haven't so far, but when I have it's great. There are a lot of cds out there, also free downloads that you can use. I prefer the ones that have music, I have found a site centerpointe.com that gives you a free CD with holosync music, it is brilliant, but I don't think I can bring myself to pay for the course, which is pretty expensive.
    It's nice to get away to your own space every now and again, everyone should try it, you won't be dissapointed.
    He who laughs last - 'Probably didn't get it!'

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast