Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The SNP : FFA / OIL Revenue Sham Exposed At Last : The Dream Is Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    If succeeding Westminster governments can only see fit to run the UK as a deficit then by the unionist argument, the UK doesn't deserve independence or its own full fiscal autonomy either! Funny how Westminster is keen to keep hold of the oil revenues though, I mean, well, it is only in Scotland that we're so gullible to think that oil is a curse while Westminster need it to go some way to balance the books.
    is there some kind of logic in there or is this the same old SNP tactic - when all else fails spout bs ?

When you think of how many people have died to gain independance in other parts of the world. I find it sad that so many people here are frightened to support Scotland in the same way. Wouldn't fancy fighting beside any of them in the front line.

Irrespective of all the above, in order to save this planet for future generations of all living things that exist today, we need to STOP burning fossil fuels and move to alternatives as soon as possible. I have always wondered how the SNP square this particular circle in their own mind as even they must know that reliance on wind power alone is not the answer and they refuse to contemplate nuclear. The bottom line is the oil needs to be left where it is but that won't happen because selfish human beings will not do the right thing.

I kind of think that nuclear, in the long term, is just as destructive as oil. If Scotland , or the UK for that matter, was serious about global warming the money would be poured in to tidal and wave energy. The problem is that big business and government is not prepared to invest the money to make this happen because of the up front cost involved. Not that the UK emissions in a global sense , make a whit of difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsnapper View Post
    When you think of how many people have died to gain independance in other parts of the world. I find it sad that so many people here are frightened to support Scotland in the same way. Wouldn't fancy fighting beside any of them in the front line.
    Why would anyone need to die in the fight for independence when we have the most powerful wee wumman in the world looking after us. btw, does your named person know that you are out ?

Gosh what a wonderful astute reply. I sincerely apologise for having being in being in the army and having stood up for Britain and Scotland. Nice to know I can sleep easy tonight with people like you looking out for us

Quote Originally Posted by Fulmar View Post
    I have always wondered how the SNP square this particular circle in their own mind as even they must know that reliance on wind power alone is not the answer and they refuse to contemplate nuclear.
    Oh i dunno about the wind power, The SNP could always allow a mega sized wind farm to hook up to e org as there seems to be no shortage of hot air and blowing wind on it. power to the people, from the people!

Ha ha - aye your right there. Lots of hot air flying about all the way from Caithness down to Edinburgh

It's really amazing how many of us have been on the front line defending Auld Scotia. Of course lots of those who served would be called 'Walt'.

On a more serious note Burntisland and Methil in Fife and Arnish on Lewis alll fabrication / engineerng sites, have missed out on contracts The sites operated by BiFab employ a total of 2,500 workers. The GMB and Unite unions said they have had to make repeated requests for a meeting with Ms Sturgeon. The low oil price is now biting into the supply chain big time...not a lot can be done though, if direct oil activities are being squeezed, then in direct activities ie engineering / manufacturing etc all the way through to supplying consumables will also be squeezed. Dont know what sturgeon or anyone can do in this situation ?

I kind of think that nuclear, in the long term, is just as destructive as oil.
    It certainly destroys uranium.

When you think of how many people have died to gain independance in other parts of the world.
    Ok I've thought about it.

And I don't see the connection.

I don't think Scotland can make it on its own (FFA), without revenues from natural resources. Those are what makes the difference.

Sure - an indépendant Scotland couldn't weather the prolonged plummet in oil prices, but it is equally devastating for the whole UK - but for one big thing

The Bank Of England pumping huge amounts of money into circulation. Fine in the short term, but it ain't no cure.
    Going to church doesn't make you a Christian anymore than standing in a garage makes you a car.

An exercise in maths....

Population ratio between UK and Scotland is 12:1 so the current revenue from Scotland's oil that Scotland gets any benefit from is X/12 or 8.3% of £Xmillion (where X is the amount of revenue at top dollar prices in 2014)

Since then price of oil has roughly halved from its peak in 2014, just before the independence referendum.

So comparing the slump in prices if Scotland were currently independent then the revenue that Scotland would enjoy from its own oil is...

X/2 or 50% of £Xmillion

50% sounds better than 8.3% in anyone's book!

Now we are stuck in the UK, we are only enjoying 4.15% of the revenues that were predicted in 2014.

I'm pro-arithmatic if nothing else no matter how much the unionists want to put Scotland down.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

So on this basis we would only be 103.956% worse off than we are now if of course the majority had believed Fat Eck's sales pitch.
    But on a realistic note what on earth do oil revenues have to do with Scottish Independence.
    Are we not the richest country in the world governed by the most powerful wee wumman in the world, why would oil revenues be needed?

BetterTogether is offline Banned (Sock Puppet of previously banned user)

An exercise in maths....Population ratio between UK and Scotland is 12:1 so the current revenue from Scotland's oil that Scotland gets any benefit from is X/12 or 8.3% of £Xmillion (where X is the amount of revenue at top dollar prices in 2014)Since then price of oil has roughly halved from its peak in 2014, just before the independence referendum.So comparing the slump in prices if Scotland were currently independent then the revenue that Scotland would enjoy from its own oil is...X/2 or 50% of £Xmillion50% sounds better than 8.3% in anyone's book!Now we are stuck in the UK, we are only enjoying 4.15% of the revenues that were predicted in 2014.I'm pro-arithmatic if nothing else no matter how much the unionists want to put Scotland down.
    You say you're pro arithmetic so 65 million people working together and spreading the finances throughout is better than 5 million.
    The only people I hear constantly harping on about being put down are the independence voters, it's becoming a rather tiresome regular occurrence hearing everything's such a major issue for the current sitting crowd in Holyrood does make you wonder how they'd deal with a genuine crisis.
    Meanwhile the Oil price isn't rising anytime soon.
    The renewables sector is kept afloat with subsidies and costing the electorate bucket loads of money.
    The literacy rates are falling but the state is more interested in paying for snoopers to keep an eye on each and every child which the police now have issues with.
    The NHS is creaking under the strain of paying for the well offs prescriptions and the instability created by the threat of another referendum and higher taxation is putting off doctors and surgeons from applying for jobs here.
    Councils are crippled because they can't raise council tax thus depriving them of hard needed revenue from all those property owners the better off.
    All I'm seeing is vote buying and no real decision making. As expected the failing 56 manage to achieve nothing at Westminster but failure after failure.
    Meanwhile the anti austerity party are showing their true colours producing policies that would inflict more austerity for longer on the Electorate of Scotland.

So for those who obviously need an exercise in rithmetic. If 55 people out of 100 say "No way Jose'" ( substitute Eck or whoever you wish for Jose') and 45 people say Eck old pal yer majic, so ye ur. We believe anything you tell us.
    So it appears that more people are anti Eck than pro Eck so Eck takes the huff.
    I know its a reely reely hard one but I have consulted an eminent boffin from the Gubmint and he says that 55 is just a bittie more than 45 so the No Way Eck people are in the majority.
    Try this with Groatie Buckies, Apples, Oranges, whichever you need for reely reely big sums and the result will astound you. Promise.

Quote Originally Posted by BetterTogether View Post
    You say you're pro arithmetic so 65 million people working together and spreading the finances throughout is better than 5 million.
    I say spreading Scotland's wealth over 65 million is bad for Scotland when it can spread it over 5 million. Scotland is a richer country than the rest of the UK. Why should Scotland pay off the UK's debt? Fair enough pay our own share of it but I'm not happy about paying the rest off.
    Last edited by Rheghead; 06-Jul-15 at 21:30.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

An exercise in maths....

Population ratio between UK and Scotland is 12:1 so the current revenue from Scotland's oil that Scotland gets any benefit from is X/12 or 8.3% of £Xmillion (where X is the amount of revenue at top dollar prices in 2014)

Since then price of oil has roughly halved from its peak in 2014, just before the independence referendum.

So comparing the slump in prices if Scotland were currently independent then the revenue that Scotland would enjoy from its own oil is...

X/2 or 50% of £Xmillion

50% sounds better than 8.3% in anyone's book!

Now we are stuck in the UK, we are only enjoying 4.15% of the revenues that were predicted in 2014.

I'm pro-arithmatic if nothing else no matter how much the unionists want to put Scotland down.
    No ones putting Scotland down....youve forgotten to factor in the effect of direct Oil job losses and job losses industries in the oil supply chain will make to the wider economy and tax take...technip announce today laying of 6,000 from a global workforce of 36,000 the bulk going in areas they see as uneconomic...low returns ie the north sea, technip are heaviliy involved in the north / ross shire so direct technip jobs will go and local supply chain jobs will go, more bad news to come....and Im not being the prophet of doom here, these are very hard facts and I cant see a way out of it, exploration tax credits can help but as part of a wider committment from operators and if they pull out / slow down activities ( for example : Dana Petroleum Western Isles oilfield is not now expected to begin until the second half of 2017, the project is also massively over budget comming in at 3 billion instead of initial predicted 1.6 billions ) what can you do ? Work progressing just now is based on assett deployment and spend made last year, looking into next year and there seems to be not a lot happening, several key Ross shire players have nowt on their books for 2016 when usually they have work a year ahead in the pipeline. Interesting piece in P and J yesterday " The future is in no way rosy" : briefly...highlights the rising loss ofNorth East highly skilled jobs and the issues behind poeple moving to other industries...very difficult... as the piece claims ( not counting the pedestrianisation of union street ! ) there has been nothing near the diversification of industry needed to create the number of highly skilled jobs needed to replace oil jobs gone for good.

Is it just me, but I notice we have not seen much of Squidge the official yes vote wife any where on the Org these days. , I heard a wee rumour she has been picked as a scot nat Msp. I find this strange as she always stated she was just an individual voter, and was not affiliated to the Nats.
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast