Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do You Think

Red face Do You Think

Do you think Our present Prime Minister made a better Chancellor ? than Pm if so why are we in the current mess?
    Do you have faith in him because he is a financial man and sort the mess out I for one dont think for a minute that Darling as Chancellor had a word in edgeways
    or do you agree his plan this week will salvage G B who is still 10 points behind Cameron in the Polls ?
    Last edited by Anne x; 13-Oct-08 at 23:49.
    Its nice to be nice

Sorry to say but I find Gordon Brown a dour uninteresting man and just wish Alistair Darling would do some thing about those ridiculous eyebrows!
    There are regulations that the government should and could have enforced that would have slowed down or even stopped the financial mess that we are now in.
    It's typical always too little too late.

Quote Originally Posted by Anne x View Post
    Do you think Our present Prime Minister made a better Chancellor ? than Pm if so why are we in the current mess
    Do you have faith in him because he is a financial man and sort the mess out
    and do you think his rescue plan this week will salvage G B who is still 10 points behind Cameron in the Polls
    The entire world is in a mess just now, Gordon Brown is doing better than the the other leaders at the moment. I can assure that if Cameron was in power he would still be sitting with his finger up his bum, he is quiet just now because neither he nor his colleagues have a clue about solving the current financial crisis. Gordon is not the most charismatic of PMs but he is more than capable, believe me he is the best we have. Tony Blair saw what was developing, he abandoned the sinking ship, he handed over the reins so that he would not be subjected to the pressure which Brown has been put under.
    Live the Dream, don't dream the life

GB is doing better than our first minister, GB did not stick a begging bowl out right away, I do not believe this is a vote gathering exercise, what has been done, needs to be done, I just hope it works, or we are in big trouble.
    Last edited by golach; 14-Oct-08 at 09:35.
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

I agree with the bit about Blair knowing what was coming and left the sinking ship !!! he and his oh so lovely wife had it all planned as to there future
    as for Cameron hand up --- not so sure he is quiet just now
    please where is the Money coming from that Salmond is doling out School Meals etc Gaelic Culture at the Mod hes like a scotsman with a sign of the Kilt gone mad maybe he should of gone to the porridge championship and handed out spirtles
    Dont really think eyebrows enter into the financial climate either
    Last edited by Anne x; 14-Oct-08 at 00:07.
    Its nice to be nice

Lo, anne x, could n't resist about the eyebrows!
    With regard to Brown being a better chancellor than a prime minister, I would also question that, if as he lead us to believe that the times were good, why was there not a reserve to bolster against any hard times that might occur?
    I appreciate that the various wars we have been involved in have cost the economy a vast amount of money along with that which has been thrown at education and the NHS.How about the vast sums for setting up quangos, the attempts at regional authorities, what a waste.
    I appreciate that there is a some what different system north of the border but Westminster has alot of reckoning to do.
    What I would question is whether we have got value for money and my vote says no.

If the current problem applied only to Britain I would agree with you, but unforunately it is world wide, and we are being driven by forces outwith our control. It is not our economy or the cost of wars. It is the rediculous loans which have been given to countless millions of people who do not have a hope in hell of ever repaying them. The banks all thought they were onto a good thing, all their top executives received obscene bonus payments for supposedly brilliant schemes but unortunately they were putting out more than they were taking in, although it did not seem like that at the time.
    Live the Dream, don't dream the life

Quote Originally Posted by golach View Post
    GB is doing better than Wee Fat Eck
    Oh dear, golach, I'm afraid that as long as you continue to trot out that Wee Fat Eck line, I can't even think of considering your opinions about the man's policies. I just switch right off!

I agree that Alex Salmond is neither tall nor svelte of figure, but what does a person's appearance, beyond being clean, tidy, and reasonably well dressed, have to do with their political abilities?

They're not film stars and I think we need to get away from a fixation with what folk look like, which is one of the ways I think New Labour have gone wrong, in their emphasis on superficial style rather than real substance.

Similarly -sorry Lizz, but I fail to see where the Darling eyebrows come into politics either -if you were to ask me, I'd say I actually like them, but they wouldn't affect the way I vote.

Now you can call me dour if you like!

In the present crisis situation, I think Gordon Brown is doing what the Strictly Come Dancing judge Len Goodman would call 'a very decent job'! and I'd probably give him a "Seven!"
    Last edited by Angela; 14-Oct-08 at 09:59.

On the Andrew Marr prog on Sunday morning, someone commented that Gordon Brown seemed to be thriving on the current problems. They said he seemed brighter and more focussed than normal.

It was then mentioned that the last leader we had who was like this was Winston Churchill..when times were really bad, that was when he was most likely to have a spring in his step and start cracking jokes....

GB may not be the most effective or charismatic PM we have ever had, but I think he's one of the few people who can steer us effectively through this Global crisis.

I have to agree with you Northerner but he's got about as much charisma as a gnat! It's true Churchill steered the country through difficult times, but remember what his reward was once the war was over. When this financial crisis is over I think Gordon Brown will face the same fate at the polls.
    cape locum et fac vestigium

Angela I would dream of calling you dour, it's just that every time I see or hear Gordon Brown I just switch off although I know that I should be listening especially at the moment.

I am not altogether convinced that the problem is purely down to a few failing banks and their mismanagement although I well appreciate the domino theory. My gut reaction is that there is some thing much bigger going on of which no doubt we will never know.

If the out come of this is much tighter global fiscal control and regulation then I for one will be happy to see that in place.

as some one said to me the other day....
    The Americans have George Bush, Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Stevie Wonder..
    We have Gordon Brown, No Cash, No Hope and No Bleeding Wonder....!!!!

i rest my case
    SMILE IT CONFUSES PEOPLE

Do You Think

That's asking a lot of me....must go and rest my tired brain.

overdrive overdrive lol
    Its nice to be nice

Default Do you think

Gordon Brown is not responsible for the crisis in the world economies but he is certainly responsible for a lot of the mess Britain is in. If he had not sold of our gold reserves for peanuts or dished out far too much money to useless quangos, scroungers etc we might have been in a better position to weather the storm.

I can't bring myself to trust Alistair Darling, he looks too much like one Of Gerry and Sylvia's creation.

Nor would I he is like a puppet with someone else pulling the strings
    Now wonder who that could be ?
    Its nice to be nice

I think Blair disappeared as the smelly stuff started to hit the fan and i think Brown has been made a scapegoat. I'm not a particularly political animal, but this is the way it seems to me.
    it's a sair fecht

Quote Originally Posted by jings00 View Post
    I think Blair disappeared as the smelly stuff started to hit the fan and i think Brown has been made a scapegoat. I'm not a particularly political animal, but this is the way it seems to me.
    But aint that politics for you. They all make false promises, then lie, then leave it to the scapegoat to face the flack. None are better than the other and none care that the country slides, all they care for is their own needs and i bet their money aint in any iceland bank accounts like they advised all others to do.

Quote Originally Posted by justine View Post
    But aint that politics for you. They all make false promises, then lie, then leave it to the scapegoat to face the flack. None are better than the other and none care that the country slides, all they care for is their own needs and i bet their money aint in any iceland bank accounts like they advised all others to do.

aye, you're right there :-)
    it's a sair fecht

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast