Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oil

Default Oil

Why do some people think that Scotland's finances are so dependent on oil. Oil is a fantastic comodity for any country to own. Admittidly the high prices may be over but at $60 a barrel, would be a tidy sum in Scotland's coffers. Incidently oil has always been a bonus.

My bonus was money, this year.

In order for us to take $60 bbl into the "coffers" the oil price would need to be at something considerably more than current levels.

BetterTogether is offline Banned (Sock Puppet of previously banned user)

Quote Originally Posted by piratelassie View Post
    Why do some people think that Scotland's finances are so dependent on oil. Oil is a fantastic comodity for any country to own. Admittidly the high prices may be over but at $60 a barrel, would be a tidy sum in Scotland's coffers. Incidently oil has always been a bonus.
    It's probably down to SNP forgetting then Oil Industry is one of Scotland 3 major industries.

No ones ever claimed Scotland is dependent on Oil Revenue but by the way SNP supporters wailed and moaned about it you'd think it was a major economic issue.

I'm now reassured that it's no more than a Bonus and you won't have to join in future discussions on the subject.

You are in denial.....they are, "we" dont own oil and at 60 /65 dollars the tax take will be a hell of a lot less than at higher prices eg 110 dollars a barre,l which blows apart scottish government sums re FFA and tax revenues, killed stone dead . Of course oil has always been a bonus...no oil = no oil jobs so yes your spot on, from that point of view oil is a bonus...and we would have been snookered without it, can you imagine Aberdeen and the east coast from Fraserburgh down to Montrose if there was no oil.... Key facts : see http://www.oilandgasuk.co.uk/employment.cfm

• The industry provides employment for around 440,000 people across the whole country:
      • The exploration for and extraction of oil and gas from the UKCS accounts for around 340,000 of these, comprising:
        • 32,000 directly employed by oil and gas companies and their major contractors
        • 207,000 within the wider supply chain
        • 100,000 jobs supported by the economic activity induced by employees’ spending.
      • In addition, a thriving exports business is estimated to support a further 100,000 jobs.
    • Whilst the oil and gas industry provides work across the whole of the UK, Scotland benefits the most with 45% of jobs. 21% are in South East England, 6% in North West England, 5% in West Midlands and 5% in Eastern England.

Read this...its from the Financial Times.....not some on line SNP propoganda troll.....

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/d97d49ce-8...#axzz3dPxNw6Wy

Quote Originally Posted by BetterTogether View Post
    It's probably down to SNP forgetting then Oil Industry is one of Scotland 3 major industries.

No ones ever claimed Scotland is dependent on Oil Revenue but by the way SNP supporters wailed and moaned about it you'd think it was a major economic issue.

I'm now reassured that it's no more than a Bonus and you won't have to join in future discussions on the subject.
    Not wholly dependant on oil.....but it is a major economic contributor...........a very good additional economic bonus....Aberdeen and the east coast without oil....would be like Caithness if there was no Dounreay

45% of jobs, I should damn well think so, It should have been 100% of jobs.
    Quote Originally Posted by rob murray View Post
    You are in denial.....they are, "we" dont own oil and at 60 /65 dollars the tax take will be a hell of a lot less than at higher prices eg 110 dollars a barre,l which blows apart scottish government sums re FFA and tax revenues, killed stone dead . Of course oil has always been a bonus...no oil = no oil jobs so yes your spot on, from that point of view oil is a bonus...and we would have been snookered without it, can you imagine Aberdeen and the east coast from Fraserburgh down to Montrose if there was no oil.... Key facts : see http://www.oilandgasuk.co.uk/employment.cfm

• The industry provides employment for around 440,000 people across the whole country:
      • The exploration for and extraction of oil and gas from the UKCS accounts for around 340,000 of these, comprising:
        • 32,000 directly employed by oil and gas companies and their major contractors
        • 207,000 within the wider supply chain
        • 100,000 jobs supported by the economic activity induced by employees’ spending.
      • In addition, a thriving exports business is estimated to support a further 100,000 jobs.
    • Whilst the oil and gas industry provides work across the whole of the UK, Scotland benefits the most with 45% of jobs. 21% are in South East England, 6% in North West England, 5% in West Midlands and 5% in Eastern England.

Interesting point.
    You think that only scots should be employed in the oil industry?
    What about the Southern Sector assets?
    With that racist attitude there would have been no oil industry in Scotland.

BetterTogether is offline Banned (Sock Puppet of previously banned user)

I'm sure that would go down well with the transnational companies who employ them.

Sounds like some kind of apartheid you want.

I'm sure that would go down well with the transnational companies who employ them.

In the Balkans, they called it ethnic cleansing.
    Last edited by sids; 20-Jun-15 at 09:07.

I am looking forward o racistlassie's defence on this one

Again the point I'm making, if it needs explaining, is that Scotland's Oil revenue should and could be going to Edinburgh. Who is emoloyed offshore as far as I am concerned can be 100% English as long as the tax money comes to Scotland.

Quote Originally Posted by sids View Post
    In the Balkans, they called it ethnic cleansing.

Again the point I'm making, if it needs explaining, is that Scotland's Oil revenue should and could be going to Edinburgh. Who is emoloyed offshore as far as I am concerned can be 100% English as long as the tax money comes to Scotland.
    Thanks. Yes, it needed explaining.

that's not what you said here, piratelassie

A bit of common sense here...when oil was discovered in the North sea no British and certainly no scottish companies had all the expertise required to extract the hyro carbons off shore......so how did "we" get the stuff out...well lets guess that people / companies outwith with the UK with expertise got involved....The first oil was brought ashore by an American company, Hamilton, in 1975.

Well I guess, outsiders would be OK.
    But only if they have Scottish heritage and certainly no English blood in them!!

Who is emoloyed offshore as far as I am concerned can be 100% English as long as the tax money comes to Scotland.
    But it wouldn't.

Because in the EU you pay income tax where you live, not where you work.
    Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first; Nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first.

- Charles de Gaulle

Quote Originally Posted by davth View Post
    Well I guess, outsiders would be OK.
    But only if they have Scottish heritage and certainly no English blood in them!!
    Im only trying to be polite in responding...its scotland oil.....so did scotland have the expertise to bring it to the surface........I guess the answer has to be 100%...no ! Immaterial anyway, as scotland back in the day was part of the UK....so Oil is a a UK resource...and of course Scotland still remains part of the UK which obvioulsy sticks in the throat of many people who voted no ! PL...dont you know that your party policy is "to increase Scotland’s working age population in order to promote economic growth. It commits the Scottish government to matching “average European (EU15) population growth over the period from 2007 – 2017” and states that an independent Scotland would use immigration as one of the major levers to increase the country’s population........lets just gently point out that you are out of step with your parties migration intent !!!

Quote Originally Posted by davth View Post
    In order for us to take $60 bbl into the "coffers" the oil price would need to be at something considerably more than current levels.
    Yep oil leaders now accept a price of 60 / 65 dollars....top line for the fore seeable future, from that price comes off the operating costs...hence the direve to crate operating effeciencie .....so not a hill of beans left for tax revenues eh !

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast