Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 10 of 57 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Thirsa Piccys

Thurso.. or is it Wales? Not sure, what day of the week is it?

Quote Originally Posted by thirsaloon View Post
    Below the Police Station in Olrig Street in 1977. The first Police Station in Thurso was in Wilson Street.
    Where abouts in Olrig Street was the old Police station? I am to young to rememember anything but the station that is there now.

Horace Henderson of Scrabster farm drove a Mini over the Ellon Bridge before it was opened and the bollards put in place at each end.
    In the image of God? You must be joking!

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamic Sounds View Post
    Where abouts in Olrig Street was the old Police station? I am to young to rememember anything but the station that is there now.
    It is in the same place but a new building.

Doing missionary work in Northern England

Quote Originally Posted by gleeber View Post
    ..............The other guy was Peter Piericinni. He was a family friend of the Cardosis. The shop was sandwiched between Mackay the butchers and bottom Joes.

Thanks Gleeber...much appreciated.
    As far as I know Peter was interned during WW2 'cause he never became a British National. Joe did and did military service during the Great War.
    Of course, I stand to be corrected.

Post King's Procession

This is a picture of my Gt Grandfather, James (Bunt) Munro (front right), taking part in a procession for the King. Can you confirm that this is taken in Thurso and passing the same Shearers shop referred to in previous threads? Also does anyone have any pictures of what was the "Temperence Hotel"? Thanks.

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z...Procession.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by plasticjock View Post
    Thanks Gleeber...much appreciated.
    As far as I know Peter was interned during WW2 'cause he never became a British National. Joe did and did military service during the Great War.
    Of course, I stand to be corrected.
    The Piericinni family, in Wick in the Twenties, received the first radio signal picked up in Wick and the first tune they heard was "Valencia". My father was there at the time as he was a friend of Peter and family.

Quote Originally Posted by Frelaco View Post
    This is a picture of my Gt Grandfather, James (Bunt) Munro (front right), taking part in a procession for the King. Can you confirm that this is taken in Thurso and passing the same Shearers shop referred to in previous threads? Also does anyone have any pictures of what was the "Temperence Hotel"? Thanks.

Hi Frelaco

Yes that is the same shop. The high wall in the distance went around the National Bank, now Council Office. I have a photograph of the Temperance Hotel. It was in Princess Street. I will dig it out later for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricco View Post
    Thirsaloon - brilliant thread. lots of great memories and have loved every picture. Ta

Thanks Ricco!

Glad you enjoyed it, I will put some more up later though.

Over the pond, but not quite over the hill yet

Quote Originally Posted by Frelaco View Post

Hi Frelaco

Yes that is the same shop. The high wall in the distance went around the National Bank, now Council Office. I have a photograph of the Temperance Hotel. It was in Princess Street. I will dig it out later for you.
    Thanks for the link to that interesting photo, Frelaco! Do you have any idea what year it was taken? I am wondering if the procession was to celebrate the coronation of King Edward VII in 1902, or King George V in 1911?
    I am living for today, always remembering yesterday, and looking forward to tomorrow!

Was it not to celebrate the visit of George V? I seem to remember a photo of the George V being driven up past the Station Hotel on his way to the railway station.
    "It makes my blood burn with metal energy..."

Default King's Procession

I think this must have been a procession for the visit of King George V as my grandfather was only born in 1911.
    Looking forward to searching the rest of your pictures Thirsaloon - I see you've started a Wick thread.
    Thanks to the patience and help of "Metalattakk" and "bky" I will now be able to post more pictures I may find without the stress I had with adding the procession one!
    I found this link which states 1915. http://www.gwpda.org/naval/kgvscapa.htm
    Last edited by Frelaco; 09-Jul-07 at 10:34.

A few old aerial images taken in the mid 70's coming up...

Last edited by Lavenderblue2; 09-Jul-07 at 20:59. Reason: spelling mistake

Smile

Below is a staff photograph of Dan Murray's Lemonade Factory which was just of Shore Street (turnpike in the background). The piccy has Willie Doull, Barbara Doull, Lena MacKay, Dodie McPhee, Dan is at the front with the glasses and cap.

I just found this thread last night. My wife's mother was Barbara Doull and her uncle was Willie Doull. Can you tell me when this picture was taken? Also, my wife's not sure which one is her mother and uncle (of course she didn't know her well when she was young and unmarried ). This is such a great thread, we sat for hours last night looking at it. I was stationed n Thurso in the 60' and 70's. Thanks s much for sharing these wonderful memories. And you do need a seprate web site, or at least a section somewhere in the Org.

Here are a few more of these aerial photos taken during the early to mid 70's. There are quite a few changes to be seen in places.

Last edited by Lavenderblue2; 09-Jul-07 at 21:00.

This is the old St Ola coming into Scrabster

The final one is of Thurso East.

My grateful thanks to Bobinovich - I couldn't have done this without him!!

LB

I lived in the first floor flat above Lindsay's from 1963 to 1969. My dad worked in the shop. It was a good place to live, right in the middle of town. Our bright red front door (now gone) was between the two shop doors. I guess the flats must now be accessed from the rear of the building.

Page 10 of 57 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast