Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: North Coast 500

Default North Coast 500

A couple of friends have just returned at the weekend from a ten day trip on this route - found a few different accommodations but they could not understand why they were saying all the places were closing for the winter, do they not understand the NC 500 route will encourage visitors all year round, all we saw were closed signs.
    They did get a warm welcome in the Nethercliffe and enjoyed their food in Ebenezers or No1
    They did thoroughy enjoy the trip and will be back doing it fairly soon, probably in the summer and they know to book well ahead for accommodation.

This was the comments from a couple of friends - as I do not live in the area now I cannot comment, but surely some business are seeing a difference the NC500 is making to their trade.
    I would have thought it would have been worthwhile keeping open for an extra few weeks to October holidays or until the first snows arrive to encourage folk travelling this route to stay and spend some money in the area.

Like everything else its going to take time, and these are early days yet. For many accommodation providers and eateries keeping staff on and running an establishment when you have no guarantee of footfall is a bit of a gamble. Let's be honest the environment in the far north can be pretty intimidating. We can hope that there will be a year on year improvement.
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

small fishing village outside wick called pulteney

no such thing as bad weather just bad choice of clothing, the hotels and B&Bs are open all year round, (not like the tennabowlieones ones they only open in the summer normally the middle week of july,)

the NC500 is a lovely run anytime of the year,
    if it wasnt for pubs it would be tescos for us all

What is a tennabowlie?
    W.A.T.P.

It's a person West of Wick with two eyebrows

small fishing village outside wick called pulteney

Quote Originally Posted by cullpacket View Post
    It's a person West of Wick with two eyebrows
    did you mean a person east of scrabster with 1 eyebrow
    if it wasnt for pubs it would be tescos for us all

Wickers , thursonians , castletowners etc you mean then?
    Last edited by mi16; 21-Oct-16 at 00:14.
    W.A.T.P.

Quote Originally Posted by mi16 View Post
    What is a tennabowlie?
    I took it to be a person that drinks their tea out of a saucer, but I am sure someone will put me right.
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

Surely that would be teanabowlie then not tennabowlie ?
    W.A.T.P.

Someone who pays a tenner to play bowls?

Quote Originally Posted by Fulmar View Post
    Someone who pays a tenner to play bowls?
    could be, could be

i did wonder if it was something to do with incontinence products, like a play on tena lady
    because he does like to talk urine
    Last edited by mi16; 21-Oct-16 at 08:53.
    W.A.T.P.

A small dish !

"Weekers" would say If you went to Thurso you got your tea in a bowl because the people had no cups, so they were called "teainabowlas" by the "Weekers"
    "No matter how i struggle and strive i"llnever get out of this world alive"...Hank Williams

Well before the NC500 I had never seen a Di'tomaso pantera, it was my favorite car when i was a child, but because of it I saw several in a row one day.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

I am a proud. " Teainabowla " no way would I become a " Durdy Weeker"
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Away back in your cave

A teenabowlie is a name that originates til over 120+ years ago when Wick harbour was busy with herring fishing and Thurso was busy with the pavement works. E' Dirdy Weekers were making plenty money, whilst Thurso was a small town not quiet making as much.
    So the meaning of the nickname Teenabowlie means, Wick was making plenty money being dirdy (hard working, busy) and Thursa wis at poor they couldn't pay for cups or mugs so they hed til take their 'Tea-in-a-bowly'
    Thursa wasn't happy so they made a nickname for Wick folk as the 'Dirty Weekers'

and then Dounreay came along and made Thurso a fortune whilst Wick played catch up....now Dounreay is winding down, they are all crying again and want more of the opportunities that Wick has picked up....you just can't keep a teenabowlie happy....

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    and then Dounreay came along and made Thurso a fortune whilst Wick played catch up....now Dounreay is winding down, they are all crying again and want more of the opportunities that Wick has picked up....you just can't keep a teenabowlie happy....
    my god 'I've never heard so much aof what drops out of the back end of a bull . Wick has always got the lions share of anything to do with the county . That's why Wick stayed the capital town even with the lesser population, all this was to off set any effect of Dounreay . Pull you head out and stop greeting,the whole county needs help not just one part. The Tory ideal is alive and well in some parts and you can smell the rot setting in with the "I'm all right Jack " mentality .

lol, like i need to greet over something like that and as for the "offset effect" drivel, keep it up, i'm greeting with laughter at your political outlook on local life. You really should get out more, i hear Y-Not supplies a good meal, just make sure you choose something over a fiver and without nuts and you'll be fine. Next please!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast