Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The good news if the SNP do get a landslide victory at the polls

Here comes the first lies from the SNP, we will not talk to the Tories second if you vote for SNP the Tories will not get in Third Fracking, we will wait to see what the report says not ruled it out.

The Scottish lion has roared this morning across the country'. Quote from Alex Salmond.
    What I would like to ask is does anyone know where this particular animal is normally kept and, more importantly, where was Alex this morning to have heard it roaring so plainly? I am intrigued. There are lions in England, of course, for instance in Trafalgar square but in Scotland? I thought at first that Alex had perhaps got muddled due to the lack of sleep and perhaps meant to indicate a Scottish Wildcat but aside from the fact that these are rare (so presumably that cannot be right), I believe that they make a sound rather more like a rather disconcerting growl or a yowl than a roar.
    Perhaps The Scottish lion is kept in Edinburgh zoo near (but one hopes not too near) those other renowned inmates, Scotland's Giant Pandas? (It's to be hoped that it is part of a 'Pride' that is enjoying rather better breeding success than the black and white guys).
    Whatever, I think it must be a great deal more interesting in the Salmond household just now than in mine, where a more usual question in these circumstances might run along the lines of 'have you shut the cat out'?
    Oh and on the election, it seems by some figures quoted that 50% of the votes cast in Scotland were for the SNP which means that 50% were not and were in fact for the Union. So where we go from here is entirely fascinating.
    But aside from that and given his proclaimed interest in the big cats, I am certainly hoping that Alex will be throwing his weight behind the campaign to re-introduce the Eurasian lynx to Scotland, an animal well known for its beauty, low profile and ability to help regulate the number of pests and that was formerly driven to extinction by our (Braveheart) ancestors but that does have an unarguable right to be here!

Alex Salmond gave an OPINION about Independence being once in a generation, the truth is if we held a referendum tomorrow, Independence would be declared the day after. The Scottish electorate have sent a clear and definitive message to Westminster, that the tories have no right to govern Scotland.

Quote Originally Posted by Fulmar View Post
    The Scottish lion has roared this morning across the country'. Quote from Alex Salmond.
    What I would like to ask is does anyone know where this particular animal is normally kept and, more importantly, where was Alex this morning to have heard it roaring so plainly? I am intrigued. There are lions in England, of course, for instance in Trafalgar square but in Scotland? I thought at first that Alex had perhaps got muddled due to the lack of sleep and perhaps meant to indicate a Scottish Wildcat but aside from the fact that these are rare (so presumably that cannot be right), I believe that they make a sound rather more like a rather disconcerting growl or a yowl than a roar.
    Perhaps The Scottish lion is kept in Edinburgh zoo near (but one hopes not too near) those other renowned inmates, Scotland's Giant Pandas? (It's to be hoped that it is part of a 'Pride' that is enjoying rather better breeding success than the black and white guys).
    Whatever, I think it must be a great deal more interesting in the Salmond household just now than in mine, where a more usual question in these circumstances might run along the lines of 'have you shut the cat out'?
    Oh and on the election, it seems by some figures quoted that 50% of the votes cast in Scotland were for the SNP which means that 50% were not and were in fact for the Union. So where we go from here is entirely fascinating.
    But aside from that and given his proclaimed interest in the big cats, I am certainly hoping that Alex will be throwing his weight behind the campaign to re-introduce the Eurasian lynx to Scotland, an animal well known for its beauty, low profile and ability to help regulate the number of pests and that was formerly driven to extinction by our (Braveheart) ancestors but that does have an unarguable right to be here!
    Well said, I have never laughed so much.

I took it to mean the rampant lion from the Scottish Royal Standard

Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    Alex Salmond gave an OPINION about Independence being once in a generation, the truth is if we held a referendum tomorrow, Independence would be declared the day after. The Scottish electorate have sent a clear and definitive message to Westminster, that the tories have no right to govern Scotland.
    Given that the Conservative party were democratically voted in to British Government by a huge margin, then yes, they have every right to govern Scotland.
    Also Wales, Northern Ireland and England.

Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    Obviously the Conservatives do have the right to govern Scotland as we are still part of the United Kingdom. Do'nt be too sure if a referendum was held tomorrow we would be Independent, remember it is all to do with the turnout of voters. As far as I know, 71.1% of people eligible to vote in Scotland voted, however in the Scottish Referendum, there was a turnout of 84.5% in Scotland as a whole.
    Last edited by cptdodger; 09-May-15 at 11:44.

The SNP may do a lot of roaring, but they're in opposition and they're not the main opposition party.

BetterTogether is offline Banned (Sock Puppet of previously banned user)

Nice to see Nicola Sturgeon on the news today telling us how she intends to table a number of amendments to the smith commission how she intends to get the best deal for Scotland.

Only problem is she has 56 MPs up against 330 conservative MPs after all the rhetoric about locking the Tories out during the election run up how much leeway does she think she will get or where will the ability of her 56 come to bear sufficient power to change the Tories point of view.

The SNP cannot expect any favours from labour after the result and have done nothing to make their ascension into Westminster easy.

Already the prime minister has made the ominous statement about making the system fairer.

What with English votes for English matters, the conservatives probably going to take their opportunity to redress some of the boundary changes made by labour.
    I for one cannot see the SNP making the headway they think they will in Westminster if anything they may find themselves friendless and unable to make much difference in the larger bull pit of Westminster Politics.

My opinion is the prime minister will implement the smith commission recommendations quickly so as to be seen to keep all the promises made to the Scottish people then tell SNP to mind their own business and leave them to make a mess of Scotland during the next five years.

We already have the Scottish NHS in a mess falling standards of literacy and a police force not fit for purpose. Let alone the major gaff of centralising Fire and Police leaving them open to massive VAT bills.

The SNP may well have just shot themselves in the foot by making enemies of everyone they need to force changes they want through.
    We also have Mhari Black the youngest MP to get into Westminster but one of her first actions to the electorate that voted her in is to say she intends to finish her final year at uni, so much for putting the people first.
    Will Nicola be able to control the MPs that are going to Westminster or will they turn into a National Embarassment now they'll be facing the full scrutiny of the public and media.
    Last edited by BetterTogether; 09-May-15 at 18:36. Reason: Typos

Quote Originally Posted by sids View Post
    The SNP may do a lot of roaring, but they're in opposition and they're not the main opposition party.
    Small Lion with a chip on its shoulder, Versus , Very large bulldog with a possible grudge

Quote Originally Posted by BetterTogether View Post
    Small Lion with a chip on its shoulder, Versus , Very large bulldog with a possible grudge
    The grudges are more heard about from pub bores.

I'm sure even David Cameron doesn't imagine that there's a "punishment" that should be dished out to Scottish voters, for putting him into power.

The grudges are more heard about from pub bores.I'm sure even David Cameron doesn't imagine that there's a "punishment" that should be dished out to Scottish voters, for putting him into power.
    I'm not suggesting there will be any punishment dished out to Scotland but I also don't believe the SNP will be the force they think they are. They've become the big fish in the small pond of Scottish politics now they are a small fish in the Big pond of UK politics

Nice to see Nicola Sturgeon on the news today telling us how she intends to table a number of amendments to the smith commission how she intends to get the best deal for Scotland. Only problem is she has 46 MPs up against 330 conservative MPs after all the rhetoric about locking the Tories out during the election run up how much leeway does she think she will get or where will the ability of her 46 come to bear sufficient power to change the Tories point of view. The SNP cannot expect any favours from labour after the result and have done nothing to make their ascension into Westminster easy. Already the prime minister has made the ominous statement about making the system fairer. What with English votes for English matters, the conservatives probably going to take their opportunity to redress some of the boundary changes made by labour. I for one cannot see the SNP making the headway they think they will in Westminster if anything they may find themselves friendless and unable to make much difference in the larger bull pit of Westminster Politics. My opinion is the prime minister will implement the smith commission recommendations quickly so as to be seen to keep all the promises made to the Scottish people then tell SNP to mind their own business and leave them to make a mess of Scotland during the next five years. We already have the Scottish NHS in a mess falling standards of literacy and a police force not fit for purpose. Let alone the major gaff of centralising Fire and Police leaving them open to massive VAT bills. The SNP may well have just shot themselves in the foot by making enemies of everyone they need to force changes they want through.We also have Mhari Black the youngest MP to get into Westminster but one of her first actions to the electorate that voted her in is to say she intends to finish her final year at uni, so much for putting the people first. Will Nicola be able to control the MPs that are going to Westminster or will they turn into a National Embarassment now they'll be facing the full scrutiny of the public and media.
    56 not 46 - for someone who thinks they are so smart you should know better, unless it wasn't a mistake and you were trolling to get a rise?

Quote Originally Posted by weeker2014 View Post
    56 not 46 - for someone who thinks they are so smart you should know better, unless it wasn't a mistake and you were trolling to get a rise?
    A simple typo . Doesn't makes a lot of difference, the end result doesn't really change much.

56 not 46
    Still not quite enough to visit the Queen and form a Government.

Still not quite enough to visit the Queen and form a Government.
    Not enough to force their will upon the nation either or demand change and get it.

A simple typo . Doesn't makes a lot of difference, the end result doesn't really change much.
    Twice, thats quite a typo!

Twice, thats quite a typo!
    Well if that's your only issue carry on, worse things happen at sea and all that !

Yes of course I was entirely wrong 56 not 46 which boils down to a massive 4.5 % on the entire UK population voting for the SNP.

Yes of course I was entirely wrong 56 not 46 which boils down to a massive 4.5 % on the entire UK population voting for the SNP.
    Out of the seats available to the SNP they won 95% of them, out of the seats available to the Tories, they won 51% of them. Out of votes cast available to the SNP they won 50% of them, out of the votes cast available to the Tories, they won 37% of them. Those percentages say it all really. So for all of those who say 50% of Scotland didn't vote for the SNP it pales in comparison to 63% of the UK not voting Tory.
    Last edited by weeker2014; 09-May-15 at 19:15.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast