Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Why independence?

Quote Originally Posted by weezer 316 View Post
    Im sorry, this is brash, but I dont believe you for a second A single police officer, alone is some areas of glasgow is like curry to a pisshead. I have seen young boys lob stones at passing police just for the chase, and im talking 9/10yo. Infact there is huge areas of the city where it is prohibited to walk alone in uniform at any time simply becuase the locals have little else to do but smash a passing bobby. Same for paramedics, not allowed to go alone

I was once told if your gonna lie, make it a truthful one.
    I am not in the habit of telling lies and certainly not about my daughter she worked in C Division and she most certianly walked the beat on her own and at night as well and in her uniform..
    You are talking a load of rubbish, I know and you know it whether you admit it or not. That is as personal as you get and calling me a liar is way out of order so let me say this again loud and clear, my daugher as a police officer in uniform walked the streets of Glasgow at night and I have no need ot lie to anyone about my family. Who do you think you are, and what right do you have to tell me I am a liar, look to yourself and your own behaviour and do not try and judge me by your own standards.

Quote Originally Posted by Corrie 3 View Post
    I am not bothered if you take me seriously or not Mr.Ego.......All I know is that I feel much safer in Glasgow or Edinburgh than I do in London or Birmingham. I have never had any trouble in Scotland where as in England I have had a few set to's just because of my accent!!!
    But arent we getting off topic here ?

C3......
    Ah.....the wide eyed loon abroad....

No, we are not getting off topic as you were commenting about 'how safe' you felt up here compared to bad England - I replied, that's how it works.

And why would you get any 'trouble' based on your accent in Scotland...presuming you're Scots?
    Anyway, we can all relate instances where nationality has been an issue - I've had it myself when in England...and my English (and Welsh) friends have had it returned when in Scotland. It's a pointless excersise.

But what you say is relevant - because it highlights just how people are prepared to ignore the realities to further their own agenda.

Facts and clear vision are the way forward.

Jeez here we are arguing about how rotten parts of this beautiful country is.... If I knew you were all blokes I would be expecting one of you to boast how high you could pee. This is all such pointless posturing ... Scotland has social and crime and drug and health and drink and homeless and child poverty and mental health and child neglect problems like EVERY other country in the world and every other city in the uk. In some we are worse than others. In some we are better. So far successive governments have not managed to solve these problems. I want to know how the SNP plan to tackle these issues and yet ensure economic development. There is an argument that says that you can EITHER have a socially responsible society or an economically vibrant one but not both. Scotland either can take independance and the economic risks it needs to take to grow as a nation or it can stay within the union and the security of it's welfare state but it cannot be independent and have both. We shall see.

Quote Originally Posted by squidge View Post
    Jeez here we are arguing about how rotten parts of this beautiful country is.... If I knew you were all blokes I would be expecting one of you to boast how high you could pee. This is all such pointless posturing ... Scotland has social and crime and drug and health and drink and homeless and child poverty and mental health and child neglect problems like EVERY other country in the world and every other city in the uk. In some we are worse than others. In some we are better. So far successive governments have not managed to solve these problems. I want to know how the SNP plan to tackle these issues and yet ensure economic development. There is an argument that says that you can EITHER have a socially responsible society or an economically vibrant one but not both. Scotland either can take independance and the economic risks it needs to take to grow as a nation or it can stay within the union and the security of it's welfare state but it cannot be independent and have both. We shall see.
    The voice of reason!

Quote Originally Posted by weezer 316 View Post
    Im sorry, this is brash, but I dont believe you for a second A single police officer, alone is some areas of glasgow is like curry to a pisshead. I have seen young boys lob stones at passing police just for the chase, and im talking 9/10yo. Infact there is huge areas of the city where it is prohibited to walk alone in uniform at any time simply becuase the locals have little else to do but smash a passing bobby. Same for paramedics, not allowed to go alone

I was once told if your gonna lie, make it a truthful one.
    Calling people a liar is bang out of order !!!

C3....

Quote Originally Posted by secrets in symmetry View Post
    Not all Scots want independence. Some of us couldn't do what we do now in Scotland if we were an independent small country. Scotland punches way above its weight in my field of work and I don't want to work in a North European minnow state. The irony is that the closest I could come to having the same world leading high tech facilities in the UK would be if I moved to South Wales! The reason for this is Welsh devolution! Devolution really is the best of both worlds in so many ways.

Last I looked, Scotland's GDP per capita was 5% lower than England's, the entire difference coming from London and SE England. 5% doesn't sound much, but it's roughly equivalent to another recession like the one we've just had. Independence would also see us lose our massive public funding difference over England due to the Barnett formula, but this would to an arguable extent be replaced by our share of oil revenues, at least in the short term.
    It's probably bad form to reply to your own post in a different thread, but we only live once...

I am depressed about my country sleepwalking into becoming yet another irrelevant small European state. My Irish, Norwegian, Swedish and Dutch friends think we are insane. Ironically, my Norwegian friend is taking out Irish citizenship, and even he thinks that is funny! He will laugh even more when he hears I would consider taking out English citizenship to escape Salmond's proposed Hell on Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Kells View Post
    I am not in the habit of telling lies and certainly not about my daughter she worked in C Division and she most certianly walked the beat on her own and at night as well and in her uniform..
    You are talking a load of rubbish, I know and you know it whether you admit it or not. That is as personal as you get and calling me a liar is way out of order so let me say this again loud and clear, my daugher as a police officer in uniform walked the streets of Glasgow at night and I have no need ot lie to anyone about my family. Who do you think you are, and what right do you have to tell me I am a liar, look to yourself and your own behaviour and do not try and judge me by your own standards.
    I may be completely wrong here, but I am led to understand no Scottish Police patrol alone at night, but always in twos, Scottish Law needs corroboration to convict, this is why they patrol this way.
    If I am wrong I will apologise. and as far as I know Glasgow comes under Scottish Law.
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Quote Originally Posted by golach View Post
    I may be completely wrong here, but I am led to understand no Scottish Police patrol alone at night, but always in twos, Scottish Law needs corroboration to convict, this is why they patrol this way.
    If I am wrong I will apologise. and as far as I know Glasgow comes under Scottish Law.
    I believe you are right.

Although the second officer can be a special constable with no power of arrest.
    Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first; Nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first.

- Charles de Gaulle

You are wrong, due to lack of manpower many officers have had to patrol on their own in Strathclyde and in the event of any incident call for backup this was not a situation that any mother wants her daughter in but it went with the job.

Quote Originally Posted by John Little View Post
    Serious question.

Is there a constituency out there that wishes to maintain the British state?
    Damned right there is! The debate in my circle is whether to flee to England, America, Canada, or (for the polyglots) Germany.

You are wrong, due to lack of manpower many officers have had to patrol on their own in Strathclyde and in the event of any incident call for backup this was not a situation that any mother wants her daughter in but it went with the job.
    http://ww2.policeoracle.com/forum/fo...itle=scots-law
    Whilst the principles of Scots Law requires corroboration, that corroboration can be in various forms. So one eye-witness together with other circumstantial evidence would be deemed sufficient. Whilst Scottish Police officers can and do patrol alone, it is usually favoured to patrol in pairs. In some areas, it is necessary to patrol in 3's ! This is where two officers attend the call and the third watches the car.

So kells we are both correct, but thank you for that info

Quote Originally Posted by theone View Post
    I believe you are right.

Although the second officer can be a special constable with no power of arrest.
    what a load of rubbish and you even manage to make it sound as though you know what you are talking about.

I spent over 40 years in Glasgow at all times of the day and night and never had a problem and done so recently as well. A daughter in Glasgow Police force in one of the so called worst areas of Glasgow and she found them the salt of the earth and she walked on her own at night in uniform through the streets of Glasgow without a problem. So trust me it is no madhouse whether it is the murder capital of Europe or not.
    Whilst the principles of Scots Law requires corroboration, that corroboration can be in various forms. So one eye-witness together with other circumstantial evidence would be deemed sufficient. Whilst Scottish Police officers can and do patrol alone, it is usually favoured to patrol in pairs. In some areas, it is necessary to patrol in 3's ! This is where two officers attend the call and the third watches the car.
    So we can deduce from all this that 'your' WPC wasn't exactly patrolling in the nasty areas by herself.......Disney would turn this down as unbelievable....

As I have just shown your statement which sounds as though you know what you are talking about is wrong apart from Glasgow comes under Scottish Law.

As I have just shown your statement which sounds as though you know what you are talking about is wrong apart from Glasgow comes under Scottish Law.
    I do know a little about it, obviously not as much as you, this is the nearest to an apology that you will get from me

what a load of rubbish and you even manage to make it sound as though you know what you are talking about.
    Well....

That was a bit of a scathing attack, wasn't it.

A close friend of mine became a special bobbie a few years ago. He was told, in no uncertain terms, that he was there to act as a witness as the testimony of a single officer would be ripped to shreads in court.

Your link
    would seem to support this.
    Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first; Nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first.

- Charles de Gaulle

[QUOTE=Walter Ego;851832]So we can deduce from all this that 'your' WPC wasn't exactly patrolling in the nasty areas by he rself.......Disney would turn this down as unbelievable....[/QUOTE
    Are you stupid are trying to be clever? sometimes it is hard to tell and this is one of those times.

Quote Originally Posted by theone View Post
    Well....

That was a bit of a scathing attack, wasn't it.

A close friend of mine became a special bobbie a few years ago. He was told, in no uncertain terms, that he was there to act as a witness as the testimony of a single officer would be ripped to shreads in court.

Your link

would seem to support this.
    As I said at the beginning my daughter patrolled on her own and called in for backup in the event of an incident, that is different from being sent to an incident on her own. I have been called a liar and then find other posts trying to prove what I say wrong ..... in this I am right but you have managed to change what this thread is about which is what everyone does when they are losing the argument... goodnight little boys go play with your toys I have become boring.

...you have managed to change what this thread is about which is what everyone does when they are losing the argument... goodnight little boys go play with your toys I have become boring.
    The thread was about Scottish independence, then it developed into something else. I have no doubt it will develop into more.

Nobody's losing this argument, on the whole I think it's quite good, albeit heated.

Maybe if the bottle wasn't empty you wouldn't have become boring? I don't have many toys left though........back to work!

- Charles de Gaulle