Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 18 of 32 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: Tesco dancing on Asda's grave at the Mart in Thurso?

Quote Originally Posted by mi16 View Post
    Except that isn't what they have said at all, they threatened to revoke planning.Tesco have no desire to build so either way it's a winner.
    Yes you're right. I thought I was paraphrasing but on reflection I was reading too much into HC's threats. I'm normally good at reading between the lines but this time I suspect I was reading things that probably weren't even there figuratively speaking. Is this back to square one then?

Highland Council should have said build it in 6 months or we will compulsory purchase it and give the site to Asda. That might have given Tesco something to think about but I think the HC are so far in Tesco`s back pocket that they just let them do whatever they want.
    Don`t bother "repping" me it`s turned off.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik.M. View Post
    Highland Council should have said build it in 6 months or we will compulsory purchase it and give the site to Asda. That might have given Tesco something to think about but I think the HC are so far in Tesco`s back pocket that they just let them do whatever they want.
    And you think the HC have the finances to take on Tesco in court?
    W.A.T.P.

Nope,that`s why Tesco can walk all over them.
    Don`t bother "repping" me it`s turned off.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik.M. View Post
    Nope,that`s why Tesco can walk all over them.
    Correct.........
    W.A.T.P.

As long as the Highland council have shares in Tesco they'll always be in their favour. All this dictating to Tesco when to build is just a smoke screen.
    A 1991 Gallup survey indicated that 49 percent of Americans didn't know that white bread is made from wheat.

Quote Originally Posted by 2little2late View Post
    As long as the Highland council have shares in Tesco they'll always be in their favour. All this dictating to Tesco when to build is just a smoke screen.
    Don't know about shares but they do have a financial interest in tesco
    W.A.T.P.

The irony for me is that I'm a very good customer of Tesco. I rarely venture into any of their stores but I use their home delivery service because they're the most reliable in my area. Unlike Sainsbury's and Asda they always turn up on time, they make fewer mistakes and they make fewer substitutions and omissions. I haven't tried Waitrose's delivery service because I like to go to the store to browse and buy things I like but don't need. How do Tesco and Asda delivery services compare in Caithness?

Doesn't anyone use or have an opinion on Tesco's home delivery service in Caithness and how it compares to Asda's. Do people in Thurso use it to avoid having to go through to Wick every time you do a big shop? Or do you use the new Asda service instead? How does that compare?
    Last edited by crayola; 31-May-14 at 15:47.

Quote Originally Posted by crayola View Post
    Doesn't anyone use or have an opinion on Tesco's home delivery service in Caithness and how it compares to Asda's. Do people in Thurso use it to avoid having to go through to Wick every time you do a big shop? Or so you use the new Asda service instead? How does that compare?
    Maybe we're not so lazy up here & more of us are prepared to get up of our arses & actually go to the shop to get our own shopping...
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."

I get my veggies from Puffin Croft my meat from Harrolds and try to avoid the big supee markets where possible prefer to spend ma money in tha local community supporting local business's

Quote Originally Posted by Chook a demus View Post
    I get my veggies from Puffin Croft my meat from Harrolds and try to avoid the big supee markets where possible prefer to spend ma money in tha local community supporting local business's
    By virtue of having a local shop and employing local staff then they are local business'
    W.A.T.P.

It's good to hear of people supporting local businesses. I don't go into Tesco or Morrison's stores because I don't like them. There's an Asda near me that's ok despite being full of proles. But if I do the occasional big shop in person I'll go to Sainsbury's. Waitrose gives the best personal shopping experience of the big chains. It's so much easier to dance my fingers across the keyboard and order from Tesco. It would be more environmentally friendly for Thurso folk to do that than for half the population to drive to Wick and back in their own cars.
    Last edited by crayola; 01-Jun-14 at 21:35.

It's good to hear of people supporting local businesses. I don't go into Tesco or Morrison's stores because I don't like them. There's an Asda near me that's ok despite being full of proles. But if I do the occasional big shop in person I'll go to Sainsbury's. Waitrose gives the best personal shopping experience of the big chains. It's so much easier to dance my fingers across the keyboard and order from Tesco. It would be more environmental friendly for Thurso folk to do that than for half the population drive to Wick and back in their own cars.
    Catch up crayola, we have had tesco in Thurso for quite a few years now
    W.A.T.P.

I avoid Tesco if at all possible and shop at Lidl. I can get almost everything I need at Lidl at a fraction of the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    I avoid Tesco if at all possible and shop at Lidl. I can get almost everything I need at Lidl at a fraction of the cost.
    Indeed....
    W.A.T.P.

Quote Originally Posted by mi16 View Post
    Catch up crayola, we have had tesco in Thurso for quite a few years now
    Ha ha that dingy wee place isn't a proper Tesco. It has a tiny product range and even I would go to Lidl long before going in there. The view is so much better from Lidl.

Ha ha that dingy wee place isn't a proper Tesco. It has a tiny product range and even I would go to Lidl long before going in there. The view is so much better from Lidl.
    If it says tesco over the door then it's a tescoDo you go to the shops for its view?Why not just stay outside
    W.A.T.P.

The interior of Thurso's Tesco has the atmosphere of a biscuit tin that's been raided by kids and all the best biscuits taken. All that's left is crumbs and the biscuits no-one wants. Lidl has that fabulous vista which lifts the soul and refreshes those parts of your brain that have been numbed by aisles and trolleys. The view at the mart would I assume be somewhere between the two.

The interior of Thurso's Tesco has the atmosphere of a biscuit tin that's been raided by kids and all the best biscuits taken. All that's left is crumbs and the biscuits no-one wants. Lidl has that fabulous vista which lifts the soul and refreshes those parts of your brain that have been numbed by aisles and trolleys. The view at the mart would I assume be somewhere between the two.
    I go to the supermarket (as infrequently as possible) to buy my groceries, not soak up the ambience.
    If I want ambience I go to the Grove
    W.A.T.P.