Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: **** warning to all horse owners ****

Default **** warning to all horse owners ****

*******WARNING ALL HORSE OWNERS IN CAITHNESS*****

My mum found a plait in the mane of her TB gelding in the Murkle Area tonight. I have read articals on this and heard this is what horse thieves do to a horse there going to steal. The police have been called and the incident reported. The police advised the horses to be put inside and padlocked in. The plait is not obvious as they have done it under the top layer so i advise everyone to check through the manes.

When I heard these stories before I assumed the whole mane of the horse had been plaited (foolish I know) however it's NOT the whole mane. Nor was the plait OBVIOUS just by glancing at the horse. The plait was under the mane - losely done by the neck but very tight at the bottom and tied in a knot.

Please be vigilant - who knows if this is a real threat or if it's some sick minded individual who knows it will give horse owners a nasty fright.

As my friends husband says there is only one road out of the county at the moment with berriedale shut in the evenings - the police confirmed that there are evening patrols as a result of these incidents...I was told only today that a horse at Achalone had also received this treatment. Plus one in Dunnet and one in Tain which was stolen!!

The link below has a picture of a plait and my mums horse had one exact same...

http://www.forteantimes.com/features/articles/3016/straight_from_the_horses_mane.html

Thanks for making us aware, ive got a gelding not far from there and 2 fillies arriving tomorrow, will be extra vigilant for the next while i think.

Off to check mine right now. Torch in hand.
    Yippee puppies galore soon

That is just awful!!!

Whether it is just someone playing a sick joke or not it must be a very worrying time for horse owners.

It is really good that the Police are on the case though and very handy that Berriedale is closed at night.
    Might be enough to stop this if the plaits are actually being made by potential thieves.

Should put a mouse trap in the horses' manes!!!

There was one pony /yearling in Brough that her mane was plaited too she's a very pretty one think thats why she was targeted but no others in the village, mine are well protected in the garden...!!

Default Horses

It makes you wonder what they are after?? Are they stealing to order if this is what is going on?? or something else. It is a very worrying time for all horse owners. Just hope that as many people are aware and hopefully the public will be vigilant and keep there eye going too for any lorries/horse boxes moving about at night. Spread the news guys!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    It makes you wonder what they are after?? Are they stealing to order if this is what is going on?? or something else. It is a very worrying time for all horse owners. Just hope that as many people are aware and hopefully the public will be vigilant and keep there eye going too for any lorries/horse boxes moving about at night. Spread the news guys!!!
    Well I'll be down seeing your boys later tonight and if I hear any lorries passing by during the night I will get up to check!
    I think yours would be pretty safe though as the gates are quite a bit off the road aren't they? Well I haven't seen them? Also, your horses are in quite a built up area with plenty of lighting.

It is really awful that this is going on and I truly hope the scum who are doing this are caught.

I feel so sorry for horse owners just now as it must be so worrying.
    Last edited by Liz; 07-Oct-10 at 20:23.

Default Horses

sent you a pm

Please stay vigilant as there has been further dubious activity.

I will warn my mate who owns a horse,cheers!!

Quote Originally Posted by teenybash View Post
    Please stay vigilant as there has been further dubious activity.

What else has been happening Teenybash can you tell us what to look out for?

Quote Originally Posted by All boxed up View Post
    What else has been happening Teenybash can you tell us what to look out for?
    Strange vehicles with trailers, not just horse boxes, around areas where horses are kept......cannot mention locations but suspicious individuals were chased off withing the past 24 hours. Luckily horse owners were still up and hadn't gone to bed.

Strange vehicles with trailers, not just horse boxes, around areas where horses are kept......cannot mention locations but suspicious individuals were chased off withing the past 24 hours. Luckily horse owners were still up and hadn't gone to bed.
    This is just awful!!!

I take it that they would have fence cutters so blocking gates would be of no use?
    What time of night was that Teenybash and were the horses in an unlit area?

Really hope they clear off soon and give horse owners some peace.

I really hope they get caught soon or get a darned good kick from a horse that is not a friendly as they thought.
    @,'---.................................................. ---',@
    ~*~Believe In The Magic Of Your Dreams~*~
    ---',@................................................. . @',---

Quote Originally Posted by unicorn View Post
    I really hope they get caught soon or get a darned good kick from a horse that is not a friendly as they thought.
    Oh that would be great and right in the place it would hurt the most!!!!

Default horse thieves

i wish anyone luck to try and get mine in a box they have to get passed dogs first and then if they separated horses they would kick up a stink one would defo rear up so they would get head smashed in hehehe but seriously do we know what they go after ie- mares/geldings big or small or do they take what evers available????all mine are insured and chipped how do these people sell on with out passports do they just get pet ones??the mind really does boggle as to why they do it and to what financial gain???

If you cant give specific loactions Teeny, could you give an area so folk in that area can be even more vigilant than they are just now, Agree with you Liz which thary would sod off and give us some peace.

Quote Originally Posted by aurora32 View Post
    If you cant give specific loactions Teeny, could you give an area so folk in that area can be even more vigilant than they are just now, Agree with you Liz which thary would sod off and give us some peace.
    Afraid pretty much dotted all over Caithness especially Kw14 area so that would be Thurso and out Murkle way. If the intent is to steal the horses don't forget these people will be adept at catching, blindfolding as I would think they are well used to handling horses and ponies.
    The main plaiting could simply be a prank, but it is the worry it causes in the name of amusement. If I hear anything else I will post it....

Thank you Teeny. Any further info appreciates as it becomes available.

we need rigger here.. at one time horse theivery was a simple thing.. they were hung! tends to put a stop to it quick enough if you string the thieves up!
    http://itqueries.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast