Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 57 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Thirsa Piccys

Default More piccys

Thurso Harbour with a three masted schooner berthed, around 1910. And Scrabster Harbour around 1880. If you look at the second building n the foreground of the Scrabster photo you will see the large doors of what was the original lifeboat shed. Opposite is the slip where the horse drawn trailor was pulled down with the lifeboat attached.

Below is the opening of the Ellan bridge on the 1st October 1960. It was opened by John MacKay who crossed the river for 50 years prior to work at the flagworks. You can see the Scout hut to the right and to the left is the old kiln which was then used by the Hydro.

Here is the rear of the Gas Works, this piccy was taken from the rear of the Legion around 1980.

Traill Street seen in 1908. You can see how much attention someone with a camera has caused!

Below a view of the lighthouse and two masted schooners at Scrabster Roads around 1880.

Default More piccys

Pipe band in the grounds of Thurso Castle in 1897. Notice the stack in the background from the flagworks.

Below a painting of Robert Dick, the famous botanist and geologist who described himself as nothing but a humble baker. Robert was born in Tullibody in 1811. During his schooling he was regarded as a top level student having an inexhaustible thirst for knowledge. He learned Latin so quickly that his master recommended that he should be sent to college.

However this never came to pass and Robert served his trade as a baker starting at 3am and finishing sometime between 7 and 9 pm. He received no wages other than his bed and meals. Robert travelled to Thurso in 1830 and set up his bakery.

However the extremely modest and quiet baker was to achieve his unwanted fame through his knowledge of the natural world. He built up huge collections of insects, shells, geological and botanical specimens, considered to be the best in the country. Robert was to suffer when his order of flour along which contained some books and a microscope to help protect them from being knocked or damaged was lost when the boat carrying them sank. Eventually with no supplies to bake his business suffered. After being bedridden for two weeks he died penniless on Christmas Eve 1866 aged 56.

Careful Thirsaloon, we don't want you to burn out too quickly . Naah seriously, although an incomer I find this all fascinating but could I ask when you're posting a photo of somewhere, can you also say what's currently there so us non-locals can visualise it. The picture of Lindsay's earlier I just can't seem to place.

Thats an amazing picture of Traill Street, is it possible to get a larger version of that, I'd love to print it off and frame it, its excellent!!!

For those intertested, if you right click on that Traill Street photo and set as background, it blows up into a beautiful desktop wallpaper. I love it!!!

Default In reply to Bobinovich!

Quote Originally Posted by Bobinovich View Post
    Careful Thirsaloon, we don't want you to burn out too quickly . Naah seriously, although an incomer I find this all fascinating but could I ask when you're posting a photo of somewhere, can you also say what's currently there so us non-locals can visualise it. The picture of Lindsay's earlier I just can't seem to place.

Good point Mr Inovich! I'll do my best to remember. Lindsays is now Soutars hardware shop......well whatever they have renamed it to now!

Default Thurso River and Flagworks

Below Thurso harbour in 1864. This is one of the earliest views of Thurso as photography was only making its mark up here then.To the left is the stack of the Braehead pavement works. You can also see all mounds of flag chippings on both sides of the river.

To the right hand side you can just see a small black blob at the edge of the river which is a man with a fishing rod. In the foreground is the stepping stones which ran in a slight curved line. They were situated where the footbridge is now.

Below is one of the two flagworks which was on the west side of the river. You'll notice all the flagstones stacked up on end ready for exporting. Around the site of where the Council depot is now. Photo taken around 1900.

Last edited by thirsaloon; 24-Jun-07 at 19:24.

I remember my dad telling me about the stepping stones as he was told by someone older than him, some of them are still visible, thy are on the north side of what is called the Ellon Bridge. I can imagine a few people came a cropper falling off those on a wet day

Quote Originally Posted by thirsaloon View Post
    Below is the opening of the Ellan bridge on the 1st October 1960. It was opened by John MacKay who crossed the river for 50 years prior to work at the flagworks.
    I think that the plate on the bridge (at the scout hut end) says something about that too.

You can see the Scout hut to the right and to the left is the old kiln which was then used by the Hydro.
    There was a short cut the kids from Springpark used to take between these two buildings. Once you came off the Ellon Bridge, you could get between the Scout hut and the Hydro yard fence and walk along until you came out in Robert Dick Place by the side of the Guide hut. I think that the gap was finally plugged after the Hydro moved up to Ormlie and the site was taken over by the Legion to build those retirement houses.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeemag_USA View Post
    I remember my dad telling me about the stepping stones as he was told by someone older than him, some of them are still visible, thy are on the north side of what is called the Ellon Bridge. I can imagine a few people came a cropper falling off those on a wet day

There was a second row of stepping stones further up the river, near the footbridge that is opposte the Mill. Hope some other folks start digging around now and see what photo's they may have. Could be the start of something interesting here!

Talking Cheers Orgers!

Thanks for the compliments folks, glad your enjoying the info and photographs. Would appreciate if anyone can add anymore photograph’s. I’m sure a lot of you may have photo’s that’s stuck in an old box or drawer.

Often the ones taken with a box brownie are every bit as interesting cause they show stuff that the professional photographers of the day wouldn’t look at. I’ll add a few more in the next day or so.

Oh and thanks for adding to my reputation bit on here to, very good of you! I’m sure I should get my own website the way this is going!!!

Alas, way beyond my pc skills!

Default Before and After!

Before and after shot of the corner of Olrig and Rotterdam Street. This should bring a few memories back. Remember let me know if you have any storys and memories relating to the piccys. Would be much appreciated.

i cant seem to see any of these pics except the one of the veiwfirth...

Over the pond, but not quite over the hill yet

Nice before and after pics of the corner of Olrig and Rotterdam Street, thirsaloon! I was surprised when I zoomed in on the "before" pic that the shop sign says A T Rolland. Any idea when that one was taken? I remember that shop as being Noble's the florist in the 60s and 70s. They moved to High Street in the latter part of the 70s, at the Grove Lane end, opposite Peterkin's the chemist. (Later known as the Co-op chemist?) The shop on the far left of the pic (next to the one painted a mustard colour), was a shoe shop. Gunn's or Williamson's, I think. The new buildings that replaced them were built in 1977 or 1978, were they not?
    I am living for today, always remembering yesterday, and looking forward to tomorrow!

absolutely fantastic pictures. I love the way that you point our attention to a detail in a picture that we would miss.

You have inspired me to take another look at my scanner. Perhaps, if I gain your skill level I will post some old photos of Northern Ontario, Canada, where I am originally from.

thanks so much.
    Rhonda.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamic Sounds View Post

Seen these pictures of old Thurso, and in this week that the Viewfirth has been consigned to the quarry in the sky, thought I'd put this pick up

It is a scan of a picture that my grandfather had, but shows the place in its granduer.
    Thanks so much for posting this wonderful photo, Dynamic Sounds! It's great to see a pic of Viewfirth and "Barn" in their former glory! Is there a year written on the back of the photo?
    I am living for today, always remembering yesterday, and looking forward to tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by Sporran View Post
    Nice before and after pics of the corner of Olrig and Rotterdam Street, thirsaloon! I was surprised when I zoomed in on the "before" pic that the shop sign says A T Rolland. Any idea when that one was taken? I remember that shop as being Noble's the florist in the 60s and 70s. They moved to High Street in the latter part of the 70s, at the Grove Lane end, opposite Peterkin's the chemist. (Later known as the Co-op chemist?) The shop on the far left of the pic (next to the one painted a mustard colour), was a shoe shop. Gunn's or Williamson's, I think. The new buildings that replaced them were built in 1977 or 1978, were they not?
    A T Rolland moved in after Nobles went into their new shop. The shoe shop is Gunns, but the mustard coloured one was Sam the Barber's.

Thanks for refreshing my memory, Buttercup! A T Rolland were painters and decorators, were they not?

Another two piccys from 1911. Attached are photographs of W & G Dunnet cycle shop (where Mac Mowat served his apprenticeship) later to become Dunnets Garage and just along the road a wee bit was the Victoria Hairdressing Saloon. If you look in the foreground of the photo in front of the group of people at the cycle shop you will see some of the Thurso fish baskets that was used by fisherwomen to sell the latest catch from.

Is that first photo on the corner of Meadow Lane and Traill Street, where the Newmarket Bar is now? Or is it where Cardosi's Cafe (Top Joe's) was on the corner of Traill Street and Olrig Street, thirsaloon?

Page 2 of 57 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast