Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wick will soon be a ghost town

The pharmaceutical industry is thriving here.

Quote Originally Posted by plutonio View Post
    I'm not surprised that the "sport shop" is to close, I went in once to buy my son a new football top and we were going to use his East End Boys Club membership card to get the 10% off only to be told by the owner that there was not no margin on football tops and the membership card was not valid on football tops. A few weeks later the subject cropped up at the East End football and I was told by one of the committee members that discount was supposed to be valid on all items from the shop! He may have diddle me for £3-4 pounds but it was the last penny he will ever get from me. REAP WHAT YOU SOW!
    With regards to your comment, we respond as follows; It is made very clear to the East End Boys Football Club that a 10% discount is allowed to each team member and is given on all applicable goods excluding licenced goods. I have contacted an East End Football Committee member to clarify their understanding of the discount scheme, which has not been altered in any way since the previous owners of the shop, who also ran the scheme. We have sent a letter to East End Football Club stating the terms and conditions of the discount scheme. The discount scheme is done, by ourselves, as a goodwill gesture to help the youths in the club. Should you require any further assistance or clarification, please do not hesitate to contact us in The Sports Shop.

Wick Town Centre is a copy of those up and down the UK. A few small shops, many take-aways and a collection of charity shops and drinking establishments. All that is missing is a row of Ramsdens/Cash Converters!!!!

Nonsense! Well, ok, you're sort of right, but Wick doesn't have a Macdonalds, a Burger King or a KFC - which makes it special.
    Last edited by secrets in symmetry; 30-Mar-13 at 11:54.

I may be slightly off point here.. but this thread is about Wick becoming a "ghost town". No-one wants to see this obviously, but yet, everyone admits having no intention to shop local?
    We can't shop online and still expect to have a thriving high street! Things may be a little more expensive, but surely its worth it to see people doing well in our area?

...Maybe next time we are about to feed money into a corporate machine, we should consider our friends and locals on our high street?

its all good and well saying help the locals but when you can buy stuff online, same quality and with postage included, cheaper than you can buy local, then local shops are not going to do well at all. I did ask one local shop if he could do a bit of a discount and mentioning its a lot cheaper online but i dont mind paying a bit more if i can have it now and was told in no uncertain terms to "FFFF off then and go buy it online".....not the way to keep customers nor do business locally. his loss though as i won't be in there again.

Surely buying in tesco, homebase, Argos etc is shopping local?

I've heard Tescos and the new shops on the south road being blamed for the demise. I think it has more to do with internet shopping. The net has changed the face of so many things forever. Even people's social lives seem to evolve around the mighty computer. And I'm as guilty as anyone!
    Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

I wouldn't necessarily classify Tesco, Argos and Homebase etc as local, considering they are a multi-national company and have stores across the UK..
    I think, yeah, it may be slightly more expensive - but the big companies such as Tesco, can afford to make things cheaper due to the volume of products they make money from. Personally, I'd rather pay that little extra - especially when it comes to food! Caithness Biscuits, Grahams Milk.. even if you are shopping in Tesco i think its important to support to local suppliers too!

Quote Originally Posted by Wiseowl View Post
    I wouldn't necessarily classify Tesco, Argos and Homebase etc as local, considering they are a multi-national company and have stores across the UK..
    I think, yeah, it may be slightly more expensive - but the big companies such as Tesco, can afford to make things cheaper due to the volume of products they make money from. Personally, I'd rather pay that little extra - especially when it comes to food! Caithness Biscuits, Grahams Milk.. even if you are shopping in Tesco i think its important to support to local suppliers too!
    If a business that has a shop front in your home town isnt local then I dont know what is?
    So once a business becoms succsessful and expands we should remove our support of them?
    Same goes for Lidl, CooP, Boots, Superdrug, Wetherspoons and the Indian (in the old Carters bar) to name but a few.

.. So you're suggesting shopping in Tesco is supporting your local businesses and shop owners? *baffled*

Quote Originally Posted by Wiseowl View Post
    .. So you're suggesting shopping in Tesco is supporting your local businesses and shop owners? *baffled*
    Tesco is a local shop, and probably one of the more sizeable employers in Wick.

Quote Originally Posted by mi16 View Post
    Tesco is a local shop
    I would say it is a multi-national corporation rather than a local shop. A local shop is one thats been opened by a local person, some many years ago and been trading succesfully until the likes of Tesco opened up. The internet was the final nail in the coffin. Oh and no doubt Tesco is employing those that were made jobless when local shops shut because of them opening up here.....??

So... "the first Tesco store opened in 1929 in Burnt Oak, Middlesex".... Is it OK to shop at Tesco if you live in Burnt Oak?

Or.... "headquartered in Cheshunt, United Kingdom".... maybe you now have to live in Cheshunt to legitimately shop at Tesco

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesco
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Big Gaz View Post
    I would say it is a multi-national corporation rather than a local shop. A local shop is one thats been opened by a local person, some many years ago and been trading succesfully until the likes of Tesco opened up. The internet was the final nail in the coffin. Oh and no doubt Tesco is employing those that were made jobless when local shops shut because of them opening up here.....??
    Just before I moved from Dundee to here, one of the Tesco's in Dundee (Lochee) was closing to move to another location, and also into a bigger store. This was when Woolworths closed. Tesco employed all the Woolworths staff (that wanted to work for them) that had lost their jobs, in their new store. Tesco is a multi national corporation now, but it certainly was'nt when it was started by the late Jack Cohen many years ago.

if the goverment want little local shops to survive they should cut the rates and rent of some of the shop its the overheads that are crippling small towns

Quote Originally Posted by MerlinScot View Post
    I noticed that too. We used to shop in Wick but now...we just go to Tesco and we don't stop in the centre anymore. Sad.
    Wasn't this predicted on here a few years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Gaz View Post
    Tesco is a huge success story, yet they are demonised these days largely due to their success.It is not the fault of tesco if they have superior buying power and can afford to price out the competition.In my book the definition of a local store, is a store that is local to you, regardless of how many other stores they may operate.

Quote Originally Posted by mi16 View Post
    Tesco is a huge success story, yet they are demonised these days largely due to their success.It is not the fault of tesco if they have superior buying power and can afford to price out the competition.In my book the definition of a local store, is a store that is local to you, regardless of how many other stores they may operate.
    I think you are missing the point here. The thread is called "Wick will soon be a ghost town" - what do you think is one of the main causes of that..? ...Literally, yes Tesco is geographically local - but thats not the point. Its not a small local business set up by local people. Its those businesses we need to be supporting the most. Tesco doesn't need that support to suceed.

Honestly, Wick will be a ghost town unless it gets to grips with the changing face of modern dietry needs. Nobody in Wick knew what miso was so I was forced to buy it online.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast