Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: teasing children

Default teasing children

What do others do when neighbours kids tease their dogs.

I'm at my wits end with worry as "visiting" relations seem to take such delight in teasing our dogs.

So worried last time I didnt leave the dogs out alone in "their" garden.

Kids are only 3/4 but shouldnt be left to do as they like should they?

If we build a fence it looks obvious but if anything happens it going to be our dogs fault.
    Never judge someone until you have walked two moons in their moccasins.

Native American Indian saying.

Firstly, ask the children to stop teasing the dogs as its cruel.
    If that doesn't work, speak to the parents & your neighbours about how the children are treating the dogs.

Definitely don't leave the dogs alone in the garden if you have any concerns because it will come back on you even if its not the dog's fault.

Call the SSPCA and find out what your rights are as a dog owner if someone is tormenting your animals, i.e. animal cruelty.

I know that sounds harsh but you'd speak to the police if someone was bullying your child, what's the difference if its your pet.

If all else fails then building a fence might be the best action to take.
    Its not anti-social, it self protection for yourself and the dogs.

I would build a fence and then nothing is left to chance and if anyone asks, simply say.............children will be children and will tease doggies so, it's better to be safe than sorry................

Quote Originally Posted by cuddlepop View Post
    What do others do when neighbours kids tease their dogs.

I'm at my wits end with worry as "visiting" relations seem to take such delight in teasing our dogs.

So worried last time I didnt leave the dogs out alone in "their" garden.

Kids are only 3/4 but shouldnt be left to do as they like should they?

If we build a fence it looks obvious but if anything happens it going to be our dogs fault.
    aye and if the poor dog did snap cause of the teasing then it would be the dog that gets it not the kids, wrong so wrong.
    "I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." - Marilyn Monroe

I would deffinately call the SSPCA.
    I remember a good few years back now our family dog was getting tormented when he was in our back garden.

A 10 year old boy that lived in our neighbourhood would put sticks through our fence and hit our dog when he came near
    We told the parents who did nothing, and then told off the boy for doing it which resulted in my father getting abuse from the boys parents for telling him off!!

We even kept the dog tied up on rope so the dog could roam, but couldnt get near the fence!

One night we heard crying from the back garden, the little boy had come in our back gate and continued to poke our dog with a stick and, you guessed it, it finally snapped and bit the boys hand.
    The little boy needed 5 stitches to his hand and his parents caused a hell of a uproar about the dog and demanded it got put down.

The boys parents completely denied the fact their boy was teasing our dog even though he had been seen by numerous of other neighbours.

Sorry for the long rant! I feel quite strongly about this, as balto said - if the dog snaps, its the dog that gets it, even though it wont be their fault.

I tell all children that my dogs bite, that usually keeps them well away.
    Not that my dog will just bite anybody but the end of the day they are wild animals and will eventually bite if tormented long enough.
    It's in their nature to protect themselves and usually the dog will have to be put down if such a thing occurs.
    The previous poster is lucky the dog wasn't put down. I presume it was because the boy was trespassing. Would it have happened in a public space the dog would have been destroyed.

If the children aren't impressed and keep tormenting you dog then swiftly speak to the parents. If that doesn't help inform the SSPCA immediately, as it may well be that if they know about the problems they will contact the parents or at least make note of the case and if anything happens your dog can be protected from being destroyed.

If I was in the same situation I would build a fence. It makes the boundaries clear and protects your dog.

I can't say i agree with the majority of these posts. Children will be children. Dogs will be dogs.

If you think your dog will react by biting at a child because of a tug of the tail or general fooling around then that is your problem. Not the child. not the dog. That would mean the animal is not tame and should not be kept as a pet.

How anyone can side on the dog is bewildering. If the dog was to bite a child of 3 because of 'teasing' then the dog should be put down and the owner could be jailed.

You do not specify what teasing is going on, but you mention the childs age of only 3 or 4!!! They will not be doing anything intentionally to harm the dog I am sure of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Haitch View Post
    If you think your dog will react by biting at a child because of a tug of the tail or general fooling around then that is your problem. Not the child. not the dog. That would mean the animal is not tame and should not be kept as a pet.
    Even a "tame" animal has instincts. What exactly do you mean by general fooling around?
    Sitting on the dog pretending it's a horse? Holding on to the tail when the dog is trying to get away? Poking? Putting sticks into ears? Pushing? Shouting? Pinching?
    I wonder how long it would take to wind you up enough with the above actions to tell the kids off.
    A dog who bites has taken other measures to stop the kids but has failed. Biting is a last resort, but the poster is merely concerned and wants to take precautions. Whats wrong with that? Nobody is saying that the dog ever will bite.

How anyone can side on the dog is bewildering. If the dog was to bite a child of 3 because of 'teasing' then the dog should be put down and the owner could be jailed.
    I agree if we are talking about a public space. However, if you do everything to keep your dog under control and on your property and a person, no matter what age, is trespassing then you are not at fault.

You do not specify what teasing is going on, but you mention the childs age of only 3 or 4!!! They will not be doing anything intentionally to harm the dog I am sure of that.
    Ha, you don't know much about children then... and even if they don't see anything wrong with it, a dog who is consistently poked with a stick will eventually take measure to stop it. And if growling and snarling doesn't stop these inconsiderate kids then a bite might follow.

Children can be cruel, to each other and to animals. The safest thing is to keep the dog away from them.

Stefan,

If a dog bites anyone for me that is the responsibility of the dog owner. That should be generally accepted when acquiring a dog as a pet. It is up to the owner to decide how best to avoid that happening.

Perhaps the OP should question whether or not they should actually have a dog in the first place if they are "at their wits end". It is simple. Tell the visiting children that if the dog is tormented, it is natural for the dog to bite. If the children are too young to understand, then they should never be allowed near the dog unsupervised.

The question regarding whether or not a fence should be built is lost on me. She (assuming cuddlepop is a female!) is worried that building a fence would look 'obvious'... what does that mean? It is obvious that you are worried about the welfare of visiting children because you have a dog!? Surley that is something to be proud of not worry about!

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
    Even a "tame" animal has instincts. What exactly do you mean by general fooling around?
    Sitting on the dog pretending it's a horse? Holding on to the tail when the dog is trying to get away? Poking? Putting sticks into ears? Pushing? Shouting? Pinching?
    I wonder how long it would take to wind you up enough with the above actions to tell the kids off.
    A dog who bites has taken other measures to stop the kids but has failed. Biting is a last resort, but the poster is merely concerned and wants to take precautions. Whats wrong with that? Nobody is saying that the dog ever will bite.

I agree if we are talking about a public space. However, if you do everything to keep your dog under control and on your property and a person, no matter what age, is trespassing then you are not at fault.

Ha, you don't know much about children then... and even if they don't see anything wrong with it, a dog who is consistently poked with a stick will eventually take measure to stop it. And if growling and snarling doesn't stop these inconsiderate kids then a bite might follow.

Children can be cruel, to each other and to animals. The safest thing is to keep the dog away from them.

Well said.

If the children are too young to understand, then they should never be allowed near the dog unsupervised.
    In a perfect world that would work. Whoever's letting them out is not supervising them so clearly isn't concerned about what their children are doing anyway.

Do agree that a fence would be a good idea as I dont think a dog should be left out in a garden unsupervised if there's no boundries for the dog, thats just asking for trouble.

Cuddlepop, I would suggest to the neighbours to go halfs on a fence, pointing out the problem is as much theirs as yours and would be for everyones benefit.

Failing that I would turn a hose on the little brats everytime they came in my garden *

* Just joking, before everyone hangs me
    Avoid biting when a simple growl will do

Quote Originally Posted by carasmam View Post
    Cuddlepop, I would suggest to the neighbours to go halfs on a fence, pointing out the problem is as much theirs as yours and would be for everyones benefit.

Failing that I would turn a hose on the little brats everytime they came in my garden *

I agree with the hosing...children need to learn to behave and respect.I would certainly not let them within 1 mile of my beloved dogs...who all love kids...but i love my dogs more.

Quote Originally Posted by Bookworm View Post
    Firstly, ask the children to stop teasing the dogs as its cruel.
    If that doesn't work, speak to the parents & your neighbours about how the children are treating the dogs.

Definitely don't leave the dogs alone in the garden if you have any concerns because it will come back on you even if its not the dog's fault.

Call the SSPCA and find out what your rights are as a dog owner if someone is tormenting your animals, i.e. animal cruelty.

I know that sounds harsh but you'd speak to the police if someone was bullying your child, what's the difference if its your pet.

If all else fails then building a fence might be the best action to take.
    Its not anti-social, it self protection for yourself and the dogs.
    Good ideas. The only difference is I would tell the children, not ask them. And that doesn't mean I'd yell, I'd just be serious and very firm.

Quote Originally Posted by carasmam View Post

Love it.........................

I can't say i agree with the majority of these posts. Children will be children. Dogs will be dogs.

I agree the dog shouldnt bite a child just because there teased.
    In our case a clothes pole was put through our fence and they were pretending they were dog catchers.

I think we'll be looking at a fence

It just means the dogs wont be able to "cat stare" through a solid wooden fence.its just wire mesh just now.
    Last edited by cuddlepop; 10-Jul-09 at 22:43.

Default Fence

Regardless of how much I trust my dogs I have always made it a priority to have a substantual fenced area in the garden to leave my dogs in unsupervised, I know then that if anyone has got near my dogs then they would have had to gone to a great deal of trouble to do so.

It never fails to amaze me how many people get a dog and then worry about how they are going to keep it in.
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

If I were you Cuddlepop I would def go for the fence!

My priority would be to keep my dogs safe and sod what anyone else thinks.
    "Until one has loved an animal part of their soul remains unawakened"

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Milkins View Post
    Regardless of how much I trust my dogs I have always made it a priority to have a substantual fenced area in the garden to leave my dogs in unsupervised, I know then that if anyone has got near my dogs then they would have had to gone to a great deal of trouble to do so.

It never fails to amaze me how many people get a dog and then worry about how they are going to keep it in.
    Kevin my garden is fenced with a bog standard mesh and posts.The dogs have they're space wich is being invaded by wee "mischief makers"

Quote Originally Posted by cuddlepop View Post
    I agree the dog shouldnt bite a child just because there teased.
    In our case a clothes pole was put through our fence and they were pretending they were dog catchers.

I think we'll be looking at a fence

It just means the dogs wont be able to "cat stare" through a solid wooden fence.its just wire mesh just now.
    It's such a shame that you have to go to the expense of erecting a fence because of these little horrors!

To those who think that dogs shouldn't bite children if they are being 'teased' then that is utter twaddle. Even the best trained dog will react if it is being harangued!

Children should be taught to respect animals. As Balto rightly said it would be the poor dogs who would be classed as the 'bad guys' even though this is unfair.

I actually think Carasmam suggestion of hosing them may not be a bad idea!!!lol
    "Until one has loved an animal part of their soul remains unawakened"