Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dig 1940

Default Dig 1940

Just watched an excellent programme on TV called Dig 1940 about excavations around Dunkerque. The artifacts discovered were all refered to as English not Brittish. Is it only me who sees this as an insult to the other nationals of these islands,my father included, or are there any others who see it like me,

Might I suggest that if you find this kind of programming entertaining, that you stock up on either recordable DVD's and/or hard disk capacity, and get as many of them recorded as you can.

Should Scotland secede from the UK in 2016, I expect that this kind of Sassenach broadcasting content will not be welcome on the Scottish Broadcasting Corporation network, and will be a dim and distant memory, unless you look out your passport and your pounds and take a holiday to the UK. I guess the same will go for all those other English programmes that will be insulting to the Scots - Coronation Street, Emmerdale, Eastenders, Top Gear, The Nine O Clock News.....

Get em while you can folks.

Quote Originally Posted by piratelassie View Post
    or are there any others who see it like me,
    of course there are, you are not the only desperate, draconian, blinkered, bigot with a massive anti British/English chip on your shoulder

Well as much as i see this thread as another dig at the English, there is a valid point as many of the troops were Belgian & French too and were mixed in with the BEF so its entirely possible that artifacts and corpses (if any found) without a dog-tag could be from any of the countries involved.

Who are the 'Brittish'? I've never heard of them.
    Radical, Man!

i was born in england and now living up here but i agree with piratelassie it should be british not english. i don't see it as a dig at england
    sometimes the devil needs an advocate

Thank you very much billmoseley, at last somebody who gets it. Once again ta.

Quote Originally Posted by billmoseley View Post
    i was born in england and now living up here but i agree with piratelassie it should be british not english. i don't see it as a dig at england

Quote Originally Posted by piratelassie View Post
    Thank you very much billmoseley, at last somebody who gets it. Once again ta.
    oh I see now why you never normally comment on your threads after the initial post, you only reply when someone agrees with you

a lot of people on here who are against Independence want to turn everything that has the word Scottish/Scotland in it into an anti Indy debate and being called anti-english.

The UK/Britain comprises of 4 countries. To use the word English or England in the wrong context is an insult to the other 3 nations. It is like calling Canadians, Americans or New Zealanders Australians. Why is respect of others nationalities of the UK & their history such a hard thing to understand? If people want the UK to survive then maybe respecting & understanding the other nations of the UK is important.

BTW I am English and most of my family still live in England, so cannot be accused of being anti-english.
    Last edited by gerry4; 18-Jun-13 at 20:45.

Quote Originally Posted by gerry4 View Post
    a lot of people on here who are against Independence want to turn everything that has the word Scottish/Scotland in it into an anti Indy debate and being called anti-english.
    are you sure you are on the right thread/forum? I have never seen anyone objecting to the use of Scottish/Scotland on here, but many for the use of English/British

The UK/Britain comprises of 4 countries. To use the word English or British in the wrong context is an insult to the other 3 nations.
    but using Scottish/Scotland isn't? a bit one sided dont you think? in what context would a British nation be insulted by being called British? unless they thought they were better than everyone else of course

If people want the UK to survive then maybe respecting & understanding the other nations of the UK is important.
    Yes I agree,but some pro independence supporters on here only post when they feel they can snipe at Britain England Westminster etc ,not alot of respect in that? take a look at all of piratelassie's previous posts, as a starter
    Last edited by equusdriving; 18-Jun-13 at 20:45.

I should of said 'English or England' & not 'British'.

Maybe I did not make myself clear. I will try to say it in one clear sentence.

To call Britain, England or to us English when it should be British is an insult to the other 3 countries of the UK. To say that doing this is wrong is not being anti-English, could even be called pro British. It is just promoting correctness and politeness.

I failed, i could not say it in one sentence, but managed in one paragraph.

The UK/Britain comprises of 4 countries. To use the word English or British in the wrong context is an insult to the other 3 nations.
    According to Wikipedia, Great Britain is the big island that forms most of England, Scotland and Wales. It doesn't include the islands. The British Isles apparantly includes the whole of Ireland North and South. The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland seems to be the correct term for everything that we know as the UK. So technically, you lot are British whilst we are British Islanders! But there are so many definitions, I could stand corrected....

But I do know that Piratelassie has insulted all the people who fought in the war, but did not live on the island of Great Britain. That's OK, if we ever secede from the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, we'll just remember that the oil belongs to us, and not the British or the Scottish Mainlanders!

I should of said 'English or England' & not 'British'.

Maybe I did not make myself clear. I will try to say it in one clear sentence.

To call Britain, England or to us English when it should be British is an insult to the other 3 countries of the UK. To say that doing this is wrong is not being anti-English, could even be called pro British. It is just promoting correctness and politeness.

I failed, i could not say it in one sentence, but managed in one paragraph.
    OK I see what you mean now ,but what would piratelassie have, to use as a reason to vote for Independence if it stopped, it takes her a week on average, to trawl the internet to find an example to post now as it is

On the plus side, she provides plenty entertainment. She has shot herself in the foot so many times now, she must have no feet left.

Quote Originally Posted by orkneycadian View Post
    That's OK, if we ever secede from the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, we'll just remember that the oil belongs to us, and not the British or the Scottish Mainlanders!
    that's my mind made up, if by any miracle we get Independence, Im of over the water to Orkney

Quote Originally Posted by orkneycadian View Post
    According to Wikipedia, Great Britain is the big island that forms most of England, Scotland and Wales. It doesn't include the islands. The British Isles apparantly includes the whole of Ireland North and South. The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland seems to be the correct term for everything that we know as the UK. So technically, you lot are British whilst we are British Islanders! But there are so many definitions, I could stand corrected....

But I do know that Piratelassie has insulted all the people who fought in the war, but did not live on the island of Great Britain. That's OK, if we ever secede from the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, we'll just remember that the oil belongs to us, and not the British or the Scottish Mainlanders!

Are you therefore saying that people living on Isle of Wight, Harris, Mull, Lindersfarne, etc are not British? there is no nationality as british islanders.

As you quoted Wikipedia, I will to "The term Britain is a linguistic descendant (reflex) of one of the oldest known names for the island currently referred to as Great Britain. The terms Briton, British and British Isles, similarly derived, refer to its inhabitants and the smaller islands in the vicinity. Britain is the only ancient name for these islands to survive in general usage. Its first written appearance was by Pytheas of Massalia in the 4th century BCE. It originates with a group of P-Celtic speakers, resident on the island, who referred to themselves by the earliest known form of the term British."

Great Britain (Welsh: Prydain Fawr, Scottish Gaelic: Breatainn Mhòr, Cornish: Breten Veur, Scots: Great Breetain), also known asBritain, is an island situated to the north-west of Continental Europe. It is the ninth largest island in the world, the largest Europeanisland and the largest of the British Isles.

There is a difference between Britain & Great Britain but not interested in banding definitions about.

There is a difference between Britain & Great Britain but not interested in banding definitions about.
    Orkneycadian said Great Britain not Britain and you replied quoting about Britain? so what is your point

Quote Originally Posted by equusdriving View Post
    Orkneycadian said Great Britain not Britain and you replied quoting about Britain? so what is your point
    My point is Britons live in Britain. Great Britain is a political entity created with the union of the crowns http://www.parliament.uk/about/livin...of-the-crowns/ When the parliaments united the United Kingdom of Great Britain was formed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast